ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

the best air intake set up for clio 197

clio sport 197
hi i just want to no whats the best air intake set for a clio 197 on mine atm ive got milltek decat and cat back system also ktr pannel filter. just i fancy a bit more grunt up front. iam also considering to move the battery to the boot to creat more space.

Renault clio 182 cup
hi i just want to no whats the best air intake set for a clio 197 on mine atm ive got milltek decat and cat back system also ktr pannel filter. just i fancy a bit more grunt up front. iam also considering to move the battery to the boot to creat more space.

to be honest i would stick to panel filter.. or if you really want go for full induction system vipercross, simota. :)

Clio RS 197
i have a K&N apollo and i dont think its any worse than the standard box contray to popular believe.

Clio RS 197

get a x85 set up if moving battery.

Panel filter is fine, Kevo66's setup is very nice though.

We've just done a new one for the BPM X85 SE prototype using an ITG AB80 airbox, modified inlet manifold to relocate the throttle body position and a induction point (i.e. nostril) mounted on the nose. Don't think you'll get much better than that but it does involve chopping and welding bits of your car ;-)

Cheers
M

and it is beginning to seem like too much air is causing problems on standard management. hopefully just a glitch with kevs, as i was looking at an R3 box.

Icarus, very interested on the throttle body mod. did you just rotate it round so it was more at 90degrees to the engine, rather than pointing to the back of the car?

could a wedge shaped spacer or similar do this? if you get me.

You can never have 'too much air' the total inducted air mass is limited by the engine itself - you can run a standard 197 with an open throttle body and no bonnet and it'll still drive as per standard.

I think Kev has Lambda issues or an air leak.

Cheers
M

ah i see. i thought the car could not cope with the air it was getting, although i suppose its still regulated by the throttle body, so thats daft thinking about it.

I will continue dreaming of a big box on mine then :p

i suppose an engine CAN have too much air if it cant fuel it (ie supercharger without uprated injectors) but what Matt is saying is the engine is still able to control the amount of air correctly?

Think about it running lean is too little fuel i.e. and incorrect air fuel mix....... but how can an engine have too much air? All the work we do on naturaly aspirated tuning is about increasing the inducted air mass.

You can have poor air mass metering i.e. poor throttle control etc. but a basic engine can never have too much air. More inducted air mass = more power! The inducted air mass is limited by port size, valve size, cam profile, inlet manifold, throttle body etc. etc.

Cheers
M

yeah, you can never have too much air, but you can have too little fuelling for the air.

Icarus, got any pics of this setup on your x85 then? :p

172 5HED
Hiyyyaaaaaa!!!!

Matt, I'm getting no lambda light on the dash, would a clip tool show it if faulty??

My set up has seen just off 3 BHP FYI of the OP

LHD ph1 172

if you can move the battery to the boot,try to find a clio v6 airbox:approve:

LHD ph1 172
and you only need an airbox and the manifold from airbox to TB,it's the r3 one and you can find it in
renault

clio sport 197
were can i invest in one and have you many more pics to show fitment also whats the different between the standard one to this also is ther any gains??? and sound

I like your setup marco but have you left the AV valve uncapped? (can only assume its for an AV) ontop of the TB

and you only need an airbox and the manifold from airbox to TB,it's the r3 one and you can find it in
renault

Same as X-85 Clio Cup. They're aren't the best solution by a long, long way. The location of the airbox inlet directly behind the headlight creates a 'bit' of a restriction.

If you hack the front off the box it works quite a bit better! The loss in filter shielding is more than made up for by the increase in bulk flow - however you do also need to chop the inner arch out as per the X85 in order to ensure sufficent ambient air supply.

Or you can fabricate a complete new induction/filtration setup - ours does involve having some shiney carbon fibre sticking through the bonnet skin though! Here's a pic during development which shows it pretty well.

ab80inx85.jpg

Cheers
M

172 5HED
Where is the cold air coming from on the R3 one then??

Matt, That reloceted TB would work well with mine mate!

M

mini-valver

The cup cars use a v6 box with a Green panel filter but like Iccy says, they dont run any arch liners. You'd see a definate gain over standard but it depends how much of your car you want to remove.

172 5HED
The cup cars use a v6 box with a Green panel filter but like Iccy says, they dont run any arch liners. You'd see a definate gain over standard but it depends how much of your car you want to remove.

Ahh I see, I have my feed to the arch so wondered if that was the same!!

LHD ph1 172
were can i invest in one and have you many more pics to show fitment also whats the different between the standard one to this also is ther any gains??? and sound

no i'm sorry,I haven't many more pics,that's not my car..i know 2or3 guys in italy that have this airbox and they are all happy of it..

the sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2vNcy-hiW4

the fixment i think it's not so difficult,once you have the battery moved to the boot i think you can easily find how fix the airbox

Was a 197
Sooo..... unless you can relocate the battery just either a KTR/ITG panel filter is as good an induction kit then??

Another thing (sorry about hijaking thread, only a quickie) to take off the whole airbox, does the battery have to come out???

Clio RS 197
Sooo..... unless you can relocate the battery just either a KTR/ITG panel filter is as good an induction kit then??

Another thing (sorry about hijaking thread, only a quickie) to take off the whole airbox, does the battery have to come out???

yeah, battery out to get standard air box out