ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 197

09 GIXXER 750!!!
Hi, been years since on the forum. Nice to see it still going.

I've had two 172 and two 182 over the years.

Looking at the 197..

Running costs not a issue Mpg etc.

Anything to worry about when looking at purchasing? Major issues?

Thanks

Yup, when I bought mine (had no idea of these flaws) it felt fine on the test drives.
After a month of the new gearbox oil the previous owner put in I realised it had syncro issues (new box), both ball joints had gone and the flexis on the exhaust were on their last legs. All replaced now, but I've probably spent another grand on it.

Another thing on mine were the front springs were snapped, hard to notice when driving as silly as that sounds.

If you do replace the manifold, or its flexis are in decent nick, might be worth upgrading the gearbox/engine mounts to help stop future flexi repairs.

Let the engine warm up when driving and try shifting from 1st to 2nd, or from 3rd to 4th at 4k+ revs. That should show the main synchro issues.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Yup, when I bought mine (had no idea of these flaws) it felt fine on the test drives.
After a month of the new gearbox oil the previous owner put in I realised it had syncro issues (new box), both ball joints had gone and the flexis on the exhaust were on their last legs. All replaced now, but I've probably spent another grand on it.

Another thing on mine were the front springs were snapped, hard to notice when driving as silly as that sounds.

If you do replace the manifold, or its flexis are in decent nick, might be worth upgrading the gearbox/engine mounts to help stop future flexi repairs.

Let the engine warm up when driving and try shifting from 1st to 2nd, or from 3rd to 4th at 4k+ revs. That should show the main synchro issues.
With you on the springs mate. My standard springs that were originally on there had both split and collapsed and I hadn't actually noticed until I visibly checked.

Clio 197
+2 on springs. It's not a matter of if they break, but when they break. Also worth checking the condition of the rear stub axles for corrosion as one of mine had a bit of corrosion, knocking off the abs ring on one of the discs, which meant two new rear discs just a year after they were replaced

R14 CUP
I've literally just listed our 197 in the for sale section on the forum.

Really well cared for example, that's had all the bits that 'go' on these done already.

Good luck in your hunt [emoji106]