ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 197.. How does it compare?

Civic Type R
Hi all

Just sold my 182, and was planning on going down the r26 route, but after driving one today I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. When I originally drove the an R26 two years ago it felt seriously quick, but today it just didn't seem to be a massive step up from 182, and to be honest, the 182 ''felt'' quicker. I was wondering whether there could of been something wrong with it tbh.

I have now been looking at some 197's for sale ( maybe I just don't like boost). I was wondering what the general opinion is of these compared to the 182? I know they like to drink a little more, and are supposedly better built but do they feel as quick? Are they as much fun?

I am really stuck now.. .. and I have no car so need to try and sort something ASAP.

Opinions?

Wayne

Turbo LY R27
Ive got both. The 197 is the better car for me. Feels just as quick but power is a little higher but it revs much nicer i think and handling/brakes are spot on! Both fantastic and different drives but the 197 does it for me.

I still maintain the 1*2s are much more fun cars, and put a bigger smile on your face. But if you're boring, the 197/200s are much better to live with day to day......(and slower ;))

Civic Type R
Ive got both. The 197 is the better car for me. Feels just as quick but power is a little higher but it revs much nicer i think and handling/brakes are spot on! Both fantastic and different drives but the 197 does it for me.

Someone with both, that's perfect.. just the response I was looking for. I have been offered a Albi Blue 197, which I am going to look at tommorow. Is there anything specific I should be looking for. I think its the full fat model, but not sure if that comes with cup suspension, or thats just the r27? confused lol

White clique
I've had both, my thoughts are:

Looks - the 197 looks better
Build - 197 miles better
Performance - 182 feel faster, and are faster top end
Brakes - 197 noticably better
Fannie - 197 will get you more appeal, but these seem to be the mid 20's girls upwards
MPG - 182 is better
Running costs - insurance cheaper on 197, petrol more though, servicing about the same, maybe longer schedules i cant remember
Handling - 197 feels better in terms of chassis but steering feel is better on a 182 with cup packs

HTH

White clique
Someone with both, that's perfect.. just the response I was looking for. I have been offered a Albi Blue 197, which I am going to look at tommorow. Is there anything specific I should be looking for. I think its the full fat model, but not sure if that comes with cup suspension, or thats just the r27? confused lol

Red brake calipers and dark wheels are the cup packed cars

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
197 is imo quicker and handles better.

doesn't have the top end of 182 but how how often do you go to that speed?

The 197 is a FAR superior car to the 182 in almost every way.

Turbo LY R27
^^^^yep, to many 182 fanboys on this site that havnt owned/driven/sat in a mk3 to give an opinion.

RB 182 Cup
I love my 182, but if I was honest with myself, would love a 197 F1 Team R27 or white Cup with Recaros if I could afford one!

I've only ever sat in one, but compared to my 182, it was such a lovely place to be.

I also prefer the back and front of the 197 to the 200. Although I do like the 200's yellow rev counter!

Civic Type R
Thanks for the responses guys!! Am going to go down and have a look / Drive tommorow. I may be posting pictures soon. This one has the darker wheels and red calipers, so it looks like its 'cup packed'. There's not much of a spoiler on it though lol

White clique
the cup packed ones didnt have a specific spoiler, the spoiler was just an additional option. I havent driven a 197 with cup packs but i think the standard 197 was 20% stiffer than even the cup packed 182, so it will be a firm ride!

Civic Type R
the cup packed ones didnt have a specific spoiler, the spoiler was just an additional option. I havent driven a 197 with cup packs but i think the standard 197 was 20% stiffer than even the cup packed 182, so it will be a firm ride!

Cool.. thanks for replies. Hopefully I will like it.. Sure sounds like I will.

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
This thread has made me want a 197, and there's a nice yellow R27 popped up for sale this evening on Pistonheads :(

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've come to the conclusion that anyone who says a 197/200 is not as much fun to drive as a 172/182 simply hasn't had enough seat time to truly discover their 197/200.

I bought my 200 expecting that as a driver's car it would be a poor relation to my 172 Cup, the reality is the complete reverse.

Golf 7R
The R26 you drove was broke.

I've owned a few Renaultsport Clio's now, an have found the Mk3's to be the better place to be.

Mini Cooper S sport
Can't believe you didn't prefer the R26, did you try driving it around some corners? I found mine better than my 182 in every way, including speed. Nice turbo whistle noise too.

Golf 7R
It took me a while to learn how to drive the R properly, after several years driving N/A. Still astonishes me how capable the 26 is, it just never runs out of grip.

White clique
I have been reading about 197 gear box failures, seems very common, and abit worrying.

The problem is overhyped IMO, they are a bit clunky from 2nd to 3rd when cold and there have been some changed under warranty, but all this talk about gear boxes always failing and smashing to bits are just online stories got out of hand. I bet the reality is there have been less than 100 boxes changed out of, what, maybe 2,000 197s?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive had a pair of mildly modified and rolling road proved to be extremely healthy 172's and after only doing 2000 miles in my new 200 i can safely say, anyone who says a 172/182 is quicker has either never driven a 200 or isnt reving it high enough, they do need revved even more so than a 172/182.

200 is quicker low down, possibly a little slower mid range, its weight shows its face here but are quicker top end, and when stretching its legs in 6th they are bloddy quick too!

200 feels more grown up but that in no way makes it less fun if anything its more, makes a 172/182 feel like a silly un-composed shopping trolley.... and dont take this as if i dont like 172's or 182s as i love them!