ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

That bored I'm gonna spray my wheels

Roadster Coupe
Bored sat around the house so I got an idea and I'm going to spray my silver 182 wheels in Rover Gunmetal. Closet match I found to anthriciate

Roadster Coupe
well im going to do two wheels at a time. two today and two tuesday. decided for ford graphite gray, wanted a slightly darker colour than anthro. dont know wether to keep the diamonds chrome or spray them arctic to match my car.

Roadster Coupe
Its a great day for it, doing out in the sun. the primer only took 2-3 mins to be completely dry. paint itself is drying nice and quick.

Roadster Coupe
Yeh i rubbed the wheel down with some various grit of wet and dry, starting off with 400 making my way up to 1200 to get it smooth. I always leave it 24 hours before i laquer.

Skoda Fabia vRS
i thought you should apply the first coat of lacquer before the last paint coat is fully dry ?

E46 325ci, ZX10r E9f
just done the one i've bought to use as a spare, rover stone grey, its a bit darker than the cup wheels but i'll be doing all the others the same colour...............

DSCF1664.gif

Roadster Coupe
Well i did that on my side badges ages ago and the paint kind of reacted with the laquer, its as though they ran into each other.

Thought as much, the laquer is a solvent so if the paint it slghtly damp it will just make it run again. Done two wheels nearly. just 1 more coat of laquer. surprised how quick everything is drying in the weather. normally it would take at least a whole day when its cloudy.

E46 325ci, ZX10r E9f
looking good, can i ask how hard has the lacquer dried with you...........put my wheel in the boot to take it down to have the tyre fitted and it got marked very easily whilst inside the boot, its been a week since i've finished it so dont understand why, and its been outside in the sun for a couple of days............. how many coats of lacquer did you do and were they thick/thin, done 3 thin coats on mine :S

edit to say i've used halfords own lacquer

Looks mint that!

@the post above, on mine I did 3 fine coats of (Halfords) laquer and left it overnight, it was fine after that.

Roadster Coupe
Thanks for comment, not sure wether to keep the renaultsport flag decals. Will looks better when I get it lowered and a splitter fitted.

As for the lacquer, I did about 4-5 coats. I just kept spraying them until the wheel had a nice smooth feel and finish.