ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test drove 197 and R27 back to back, was surprised...

KG Exige - ex-V6 owner
I went over to the local dealership on the weekend to try out the R27 as I've got it down as my next car. The car wasn't ready though so the dealer let me test drive an 197 so I could have a comparison until the R27 arrived a little later.

First impressions of the 197 - loved it. Loved the factory seats, very comfy. Cabin is a great place to be. Most importantly though the engine was great - high revving and the lack of turbo suits me just fine. Handling also fantastic and really chuckable. However the dealer kept telling me that the R27 was much better and I'd be amazed at the difference...

R27 arrived and i popped into the Recaros - didn't feel as secured in, or as comfy so I wouldn't select them as an option. As expected the ride is a lot firmer and significantly different to the 197. However, for me, this made the car feel skittish on the limit (yes, he did let me drive it rather rapidly). When chucking it into a corner at the same speeds as before it seemed to just crash round and didn't seem as planted to the country roads. After a 10 minute drive I got out and had neck pain and in the rear seats the wife said she had come off the seats a few times.

So for me - I'd definately go for the standard 197 with standard seats.

Anyone else felt like this, or am i just getting old (29)?

Last edited:
  Clio F1 R27
I went over to the local dealership on the weekend to try out the R27 as I've got it down as my next car. The car wasn't ready though so the dealer let me test drive an 197 so I could have a comparison until the R27 arrived a little later.

First impressions of the 197 - loved it. Loved the factory seats, very comfy. Cabin is a great place to be. Most importantly though the engine was great - high revving and the lack of turbo suits me just fine. Handling also fantastic and really chuckable. However the dealer kept telling me that the R27 was much better and I'd be amazed at the difference...

R27 arrived and i popped into the Recaros - didn't feel as secured in, or as comfy so I wouldn't select them as an option. As expected the ride is a lot firmer and significantly different to the 197. However, for me, this made the car feel skittish on the limit (yes, he did let me drive it rather rapidly). When chucking it into a corner at the same speeds as before it seemed to just crash round and didn't seem as planted to the country roads. After a 10 minute drive I got out and had neck pain and in the rear seats the wife said she had come off the seats a few times.

So for me - I'd definately go for the standard 197 with standard seats.

Anyone else felt like this, or am i just getting old (29)?

I agree mate and I'm 31! lol

Only thing is the cup chassis looks better so I'll still go for that I think.

Standard seats are gorgeous fitting and I think they suit the look of the car as they are more compact. Recaro's look a bit tall but they are amazing for fast cornering and are comfy as!

RB 200 Cup!
good read - i like both cars but would seriously conssider testign both before opting for one

maybe a chnage of cars in september me thinks

i agree with you about the seats... the recaros are way over-rated and seem to fall apart after a while.

The standard 197 has brilliant damping, and whilst the R27 can get a bit crashy on certain roads, having driven both i think that when you're really pushing on the r27 starts to make sense.

It can carry a bit more speed and grip just that bit harder, but u only really feel this on the best roads.

On track though, thats where the R27 really shines. The 197 set-up seems a bit soft in comparison whereas the R27 will easily harras much quicker cars on paper.

I think the 197 is perhaps the better compromise, but teh R27 still the ultimate.

KG Exige - ex-V6 owner
i
On track though, thats where the R27 really shines. The 197 set-up seems a bit soft in comparison whereas the R27 will easily harras much quicker cars on paper.
Yep I can totally see that, and agree. However, I was planning to do maybe 4 trackdays a year at the most, and the rest of the time it'd be driven on normal roads with potholes / speed bumps / uneven surfaces / etc.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Nice little review that - good to see someone actually having reasoning and not just following the crowd heh! I'd agree with you on the seat comfort (and I'm only 24 hehe) - I have a pretty knackered back. But I'd probably still want the R27 if not just for the number plaque hehe :p

Dan

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
You thought the S2k was better than the vee!! -i'll rest my case! ;)

got to be honest, i felt very little difference between the R27 and 197...then again i drove one and then waited nearly a yr to drive the other, so for comparisons sakes it's a pointless test. i would however say the R27 was superb on track, very poised and sharp/Crisp turn in!

Seats...hummm...It's just a shame reno never made them half leather like the 182's etc.

i
Yep I can totally see that, and agree. However, I was planning to do maybe 4 trackdays a year at the most, and the rest of the time it'd be driven on normal roads with potholes / speed bumps / uneven surfaces / etc.

if you're doin 4 trackdays, i'd seriously consider the r27 then tbh.

i did one in my r27, and the instructors were using standard 197s. the standard 197 just frustrated me a bit after a while, and i was glad i had the r27 which was more planted and fun on track.

i only do one or two trackdays a year, and i'm chuffed with my r27. on normal roads u get used to it, and i still think the ride with cup pack is better than the equivalent 182s.

maybe u shud get a 197 FF with cup pack so u can have the normal seats?

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
^^ Yea, but it would be suitable for the OP if he preferred the stock seats and still wanted the trackday prowess. But since he's already said he preferred the 197 to live with it's all a bit of a moot point now hehe.

As I say, personally I'd have the R27 for that little bit of exclusivity - and there is a red one on Pistonheads with 2k miles, a few options, and a late build number for £12.5k. However you look at it, that's a damn bargain for a 200bhp hot hatch that is virtually brand new.

Dan

Black R27+08 Swift Sport
Recaro's all the way for me :)

i used to think the same, though having lived with them for 7 months, i've chnaged my mind!

The fabric frays easily, the seat rattles, and old relatives have trouble getting in! :rasp:

Having had a back injury about 5 years ago, i has always found standard seats give me a stiff painfull back after about an hour of driving. A couple of years ago i put some cobra evo's in my old car and the differance was amazing, i could drive pain and ache free for any length of time, and having been stuck in traffic for an hour and a half the other day in my recaro's a thank god that they have started putting proper seats in cars.
And as for them falling apart they come with warrenty.....your spine does not!

Mustang, S13, AX GT

i used to think the same, though having lived with them for 7 months, i've chnaged my mind!

The fabric frays easily, the seat rattles, and old relatives have trouble getting in! :rasp:
I have worries about how well made they are after reading through Renaultsport forums however imho they are comfier than the standard seats and not being able to get old people in the car is always a plus ;)

Saying that the Recaro's in my Iggy are pretty comfy and they creak and squeek like a b*****d

Silver 172 cup
I test drove both the cars about a month apart and I would have to say I'd have the standard seats. No doubt the recaro's were very good and if I were to do a few trackdays or spend alot of time on decent roads I would go for them but the standard seats, I would say, were more comfortable and gave a feeling of being held in more.
When it came to the handling I could feel quite a difference between the two of them. The R27 just felt like it had more grip.
Even though I would probably prefer the standard seats I think I would go for the R27 still.

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
Awesome, I was thinking I was the only guy on CS who'd have the standard seats... standard 197 FTW lol. Just painted to look like a Cup (white with black wheels ;))

[/quote]

And as for them falling apart they come with warrenty.....your spine does not![/quote]

All well and good, but i've heard of people been waiting 4 months for new Recaro seat covers!

But i do agree with you, one in, they are very comfortable. Though the standard seats seem just as good though.

dk

911 GTS Cab
must say i like the standard seats, the recaros weren't really built for the bigger man i am, but then i like the recaros in the megane even better, they are very comfortable, even my 88 yr old nan commented how comfortable they were! Last year, a week after i got mine there was those bad floods and i was stuck on the m5 for 6 hrs, i didn't even get a sore arse, they were perfect. They are the same as the 182 trophy seats i think and are the best ones i have tried.

106 GTi
Seats...hummm...It's just a shame reno never made them half leather like the 182's etc.

It is all the little touches the 197 is lacking that puts me off it, like above, the lack of a decent set of factory fit floor matts, order some of the optional wheels wheels in black and get graphite grey center caps.

That said can you now not spec the 197 with full leather ?

The Recaros in the 197 demo car where falling apart at RWS I had my doubts on durability then.

Iv got the standard 197 with stnandard seats and I love it!! Apart from the squeeks and rattles of course! I drive it approx 500 miles per week and never get sick of it!!

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
I'd go for the recaro's just for looks alone! You gotta go for the cup pack and recaro's for the resale value if anything.

Its kinda cool how you can build your own 197 now.

197 cup without a/c for hardcore
197 cup packs for best of both worlds
197 none cup pack for refinement.

LY V6 with Recaros
Surprising, good read though. I haven't driven the R27, just the 197, but I sat in the standard seats and recaros back to back, and to be honest, I agree that the standard seats feel more secure and comfy.

Clio 197 R27
I do like the Recaro's in my R27 i spend about 2 hours a day sat in them and have no complaints, they are more ergonomically suited to me than the ones in our grand scenic.and i'm 38 and a bit overweight.
i do worry about the material going but 20 coats of Megires fabric protector and the 3 renault warrenty should be ok for the time i own the car.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I agree on the 197 damping, its fantastic, as are the seats. I think they are some of the best O.E seats i've sat in!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
It is all the little touches the 197 is lacking that puts me off it, like above, the lack of a decent set of factory fit floor matts, order some of the optional wheels wheels in black and get graphite grey center caps.

That said can you now not spec the 197 with full leather ?

..... but to me sporting doesnt mean leather. Fabric grips you in far better. Agee with the wheels though, poor call. I'd be sourcing a rattle can to sort them lol

Suzuki Swift Sport
We have an R27 - and my dad in particular is very fussy with ride quality. Even though the roads round here are particularly bad we find the ride firm but the damping fantastic - it rides far better than the mini cooper s we had before. Ive not experienced it crashing through any bumps - I think the recaro's dont hold you in as well as they maybe should but find them more comfortable than the seats in my 172. Think a lot of it is down to personal preference (I have driven a standard 197 but that was back to back with my elise so not an ideal comparison)

White clique
this is music to my ears as i ordered a 197 yesterday (standard set up) and didnt get the chance to drive an R27 as i couldn't find one locally to test drive. I did wonder if the R27 would handle miles better as i have the cup pack on my 182, but the 197 felt just as good. The most noticable difference for me was the lighter steering, but i will get over it!

Golf R
having driven 5 or 6 different 197's and a couple of R27's, including my own i'd say there is a difference in handling... seats aren't night and day different but the Recaro's suit my slim frame very well! :D

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I didnt bother with an R27/cup as i wanted my 197 coilovered. I spent the money i saved on a set of H&R's :)