ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Temperature Sensor

RenaultSport clio 182
Has anybody else's 182 suffered the same problem?

I can be driving on the motorway when the car is fully warmed up and then the temperature needle drops and reads cold, this can go on for 10 mins or longer and then the needle bounces back up to read hot again. This also takes away 5 MPG if not more.
Other times the needle just bounces about and fluctuates between hot to cold.

I've had it in to the dealers who said they ran their diagnostic tests and couldn't find anything wrong with it. They also took it out for a test and said it didn't do it then. This could be true because it probably does it about 2 out of 5 journeys. I was told to bring the car in when it was actually doing it. I don't know how that works because whenever you ring up they can't fit you in untill 2 weeks time and when you take it off the cuff they say there's nobody free to look at it!!

Has anybody else had this problem and had it fixed under warranty?

Thanks for your help

K20 EG Hatch
im certain this is a common problem with the 182. My first 182 did this! Pretty sure renault can fix it easily tho.

It's a problem with the wiring where it joins the sender. They will not diagnose a problem without jiggling the cables. The problem appears to only happen at very high revs, which suggests to me that the wires are being tugged with engine movement.

Fairly common issue, and they never did do a production fix - some Trophys have the same problem. The side effect is over fueling. In my case, my car actually flooded and broke down on a roundabout at the end of DC where I had been giving it death.

RenaultSport clio 182
Thanks for that.

So you reckon if I go back and suggest they play around with the wires in order to find the fault?

Do you know how they actually fix it?

Cheers

BMW M3
I had this problem last night..... but it just stayed a bar below normal after about 30 mins of driving. Then when i gave it beans it came back up, then went down again. Very odd !!

RenaultSport clio 182
Yep I find if you give it good hammering the temp goes back up to normal!! But then the same thing can happen another 5 mins later

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Justin182 said:
I had this problem last night..... but it just stayed a bar below normal after about 30 mins of driving. Then when i gave it beans it came back up, then went down again. Very odd !!

Justin my MK2 172's been doing the same thing now for the last two weeks:S

So is the temp sensor conection under the air filter box?

BMW M3
Im not too sure mate... might have a little look. Went out again 10 mins ago and its doing the same. Didnt quite feel right either at one point ( giving it beans again) Think i will try to fiddle the wires myself and then go to renault as a last resort. Dont want it over-fueling.

Full Fat 182
It's a problem with the wiring where it joins the sender. They will not diagnose a problem without jiggling the cables. The problem appears to only happen at very high revs, which suggests to me that the wires are being tugged with engine movement.

Fairly common issue, and they never did do a production fix - some Trophys have the same problem. The side effect is over fueling. In my case, my car actually flooded and broke down on a roundabout at the end of DC where I had been giving it death.

Mines just done the same - in Renault as we speak. Mr AA man didnt have a clue, i just used him to get a tow to the nearest dealer.

Andy8CH

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Mk2

Mines started doing this as well - has anyone found a fix?
I assumed the mechanical thermometer that controls the flow of coolant to the radiator was starting to fail, but after reading these posts I am not so sure?

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
I posted about this last week funnily enough. Its happened 2 or 3 times the last week. Its going for a service next week so i'll mention it then. Also heard its the wiring.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Mines still going up and down a bar or so, but it hasn't affected mpg of performance. Going to Rentech on the 6th of Dec, so hopefully have all the niggles sorted out.

I had that and when you dip the clutch it revved to about 2000rpm aswell went back to Renault and they replaced the sender unit thermostat and wiring loom its fine now

182 seem to have a wiring problem with there temp sensors for some reason. Although there have been a number of bad sensors. If you have a fiddle with the wiring you can see the problem.

Fletch it will be affect the car just to such a small degree your not noticing.