ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Temp gauge sitting low...

RB 182 FF
Hi guys, basically I had the full works done on my engine about a month ago including waterpump and coolant. Been running great and the temp gauge has been sitting nicely at halfway like it always has until last week... now it sits on the first mark under halfway and occasionally hits halfway then drops... Can anyone confirm is this normal or is it a thermostat issue or something similar? Cheers in advance, Gaz.

RB 182 FF
Thanks Gray I did suspect this, does it have any adverse effect running the car like this? It still pulls as normal and no other issues other than the needle sitting low...

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Its probably the temperature sender, but could be the thermo stat, how quickly did it drop to from half way to 1 bar - if it was really quickly then probably is the temperature sender. Have a feel if your engine is getting warm after a 15 minute drive when it should be up to temp. Have a search for CTS or temperature sender.

Same thing happened to me 5 years ago in my old 172 in the middle of france without tools - Renault garage fixed it but didnt understand a word they said - I just paid and smiled at them.

RB 182 FF
It drops to the first bar below halfway, so only slight movement by the needle... It does it fairly regularly, it can sit at midway for a while then drops a bar again and so on... I'd like to nail the cause as I don't want any unnecessary expense as I do rather fancy that V6/Trophy rep spoiler..! :tongueclosed:

Reactions: Gus
  RB 182 FF
Thanks addicted. I (think) I've noticed the MPG has dropped slightly, would this be in keeping with a duff thermostat?

172 Cup
I think the temp sensor sends info to the ecu to alter fuelling etc so if you have other issues then it is more likely to be that I would guess.
I have a similar problem plus some really bad hesitation when cold so I've ordered a cts so fingers crossed it's that.

Yeah it does switch between the two maps, it'll likely still be on the cold map - you can usually tell by the idle RPM, though I can't remember what the standard is, 1000 and 800 possibly, and 1100/900 with RSTuner.

Something like that anyway

P2 172, Mazda 6 est
Mine did exactly the same thing and it was the thermostat. Renault want nearly £30 for one which I thought was taking the piss so got one from local factors for £7 with the gasket and it works fine. For now.

You'll lose a bit of coolant changing it although I didn't check how much. Maybe a litre and a half?