ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Technical Question about steering racks

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

Guys,

Ive currently got Rajks clio williams in my workshop for a few bits and pieces, and to investigate the wandering steering - I think I have found the problem (theres a mountain of play in the pass side inner ball joint) - but my question is to the techie guys, is it possible to remove the tracking arms (and inner ball joint) from the rack with the rack in situ - I can not see any way of getting enough purchase on the arm side and the rack side with grips to turn them off, especially as theyre held in place with a beefy lock washer.

Ive replaced steering racks and arms before, but never had to take them apart on the car. Anybody got any suggestions? Someone once told me Ren use a special tool, but was told today that no tool was needed.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

There is a special tool required to remove the axial ball joints attached to the rack.

Buggered without it!

Sorry!

Ask your local dealer if you could borrow the tool.

They will probably tell you to f**k off though!

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

Thanks Bob -

I can source a new rack for circa £200 + VAT anyway and that includes the arms....exchange ofcourse.

Typical Renault tho!

Paul