ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TDC pin? timing out?

Clio 182
Brought a mk2 1.6 16v back in april as a run about for work, previous owner had cambelt, water pump and all the other essentials done at 55k i purchased the car on 72k. Car has always had a dodgy idle and feels like its lacking power and lacking in how responsive it is compared to my friends car which is pretty much like for like. This led me to check the timing and make sure every lines up properly as it should but seem to be having some problems.

Basically purchased this online; camshaft locking tool, TDC pin, Crankshaft pin and Camshaft 'U' locking tool. (i know genuine Renault would've been better but this was in my budget as just wanting to check the timing)

IMG_2194.JPG

so from what I've researched and learnt from good old google is that the TDC pin goes into this hole here to the right of the dipstick (broken i know). however every other image I've seen its screws completely in whereas mine only goes in about half the thread no matter what position the crankshaft is in, spent ages spinning it around and trying every possible position. is there any reason for this such as wrong sized tool or just having the crank in a specific location for it screw the whole way in?

IMG_2188.JPG

i finally gave up trying to screw it the whole way in and span the crank around until it hit the pin. Correct me if this is wrong but when the crank is hitting the pin no matter what way i spin it pistons 1 and 4 (furthest left and furthest right?) are at their lowest point while the middle two (2 and 3) are at what seems to be TDC. Isn't it meant to be the other way round with 1 and 2 being at TDC??

With the Crankshaft butted up against this pin the camshafts sit like this

IMG_2189.JPG

Surely these should be sitting horizontal with the grooves below the line so the camshaft locking tool can slide in??? also when in this position you can see that the exhaust cam isn't in the same position as the inlet cam its turned slightly more clockwise looks like it could potentially be a tooth or two out on the cam belt?

this is looking like a complete mess hopefully I'm just being stupid and one of you will tell me and it will all just line up perfectly but this doesn't seem to be the case.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
-Line the cams up parallel and insert the horse shoe tool in them if the aren't lined up then they are slightly out,
-remove horse shoe tool and put a little pressure on the end of the crank locking pin with your finger and rock the crank back and forth from that position (5mm either way should see the pin locate)
- try reinserting the horse shoe and see how it all lines up or not if its been timed up with tippex marks on the last cam belt service

Clio 182
-Line the cams up parallel and insert the horse shoe tool in them if the aren't lined up then they are slightly out,
-remove horse shoe tool and put a little pressure on the end of the crank locking pin with your finger and rock the crank back and forth from that position (5mm either way should see the pin locate)
- try reinserting the horse shoe and see how it all lines up or not if its been timed up with tippex marks on the last cam belt service

Will give that a try over the weekend, funny you say that noticed two red pen marks on the cams earlier, not looking good at all

PH2 172
. Isn't it meant to be the other way round with 1 and 2 being at TDC??
NooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooO

Clio 182
. Isn't it meant to be the other way round with 1 and 2 being at TDC??
NooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooO

glad you spotted this, meant 1 and 4 hahaha I'm not that stupid... i don't think

PH2 172
glad you spotted this, meant 1 and 4 hahaha I'm not that stupid... i don't think

From looking at the pics ,you need to rotate the crank another 90 or 270 degrees to use the horseshoe & locate the crank centre pin,and appears to be a choice of 2 pins in this kit?