ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Taking The 172 Off The Road...

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI
I was going to sell the PH1 becuse im spending way to much money on petrol/insurance at the moment where i could be saving for my wedding...

I spent thousands on the clio replacing parts here and there and with todays market it's really not worth selling! Plus i would only buy another one after the wedding? So i was thinking of standing it up for 12 - 16 months or so in the garage. I have a Citroen Berlingo to drive about in that was kindly given to me :approve:

Now i have never stood a car up before for that period of time, would you strongly recomend me not to?

If i do, is there anything i should do to the car before hand?

Cheers guys :eek:

Clio 172 cup
Re: Taking The 172 Of The Road...

make sure petrol tank is nearly empty. Drain engine oil. Remove wheels and put car on axle stands, put wheels inside the car to keep them dry. Remove all brake pads on the car to stop them rusting on the discs. Lube calipers. Before all this give the car a really good wash and wax and make sure under the car has been pressure washed. Leave coolant in the engine and rad if plenty of antifreeze. Finally remove battery and chuck a dust sheet over it. Hope this helps. Jim

Drain the oil??

Whatever you do, make sure you do a proper job cleaning the arches etc so it doesn't rust - I know how you usually put zero effort in ;)

320d

Just don't get married and get ITB's for the Clio. Sounds good to me.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer

aye sell it then get another one late on

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

move away from Clio's full stop! Should you not be driving a Rari or something?

Clio 182

Wasnt there a law due out where you have to keep the car insured even tho its off the road....... heard someone say this the other day

Focus RS Mk1

im gettin married and having itbs fitted :)

that was my deal with the other half, we get married i get itbs :) job done

Focus RS Mk1

Wasnt there a law due out where you have to keep the car insured even tho its off the road....... heard someone say this the other day

Not if its SORN surely!

No tax on a car if its sorned, means not MOT. no mot means no insurance usually...most insurance companies will ask for a copy of it.

DCi

no, basically if the car is on the road then you have to have it insured.

if it's off the road then no problem

Clio 182

Thats what i mean, i was being told this the other and told them that it sounded b****cks......... thats what the SORn declaration is for..................

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

finance companys usually state it must be insured even when off the road but theres no law stating that!

also a point that hasnt been noted, dont leave the handbrake on, leave it in gear instead

Focus RS Mk1

if its on axle stand then you wont need to do either ^

53 Clio's & counting

rule of thumb is most of whats been said, iv not heard of draining the oil though, i cant see that doing any harm being in there, will it be near you? might be worth taking it for a good drive once a month

Ph2 172 Cup

Change the oil after storage, but I wouldn't bother draining it in advance. If it's going to be static for a long time either put it on axel stands or use crappy old tyres that you'll throw away after. I had a car in storage for about 3 years and it was fine, when you bring it out, give it a full service and a through check over (you'll need an MOT anyway).

The new tax law thing says that a car must be insured IF it is taxed. It does NOT have to be insured if it is declared SORN (you wouldn't believe the massive thread on Pistonheads about this, and people not reading the law properly!)

E39 M5 & Corsa track

Change the oil after storage, but I wouldn't bother draining it in advance. If it's going to be static for a long time either put it on axel stands or use crappy old tyres that you'll throw away after. I had a car in storage for about 3 years and it was fine, when you bring it out, give it a full service and a through check over (you'll need an MOT anyway).

The new tax law thing says that a car must be insured IF it is taxed. It does NOT have to be insured if it is declared SORN (you wouldn't believe the massive thread on Pistonheads about this, and people not reading the law properly!)

if its off the road and sorn it doesnt need insuring, iv had my track car sorn for 2 years and not insured for a period of that time, only reason i insured it was due to the value of parts in it, i couldnt afford to replace them if it was stolen

Vw caddy tdi

Brakes will rust, moisture will get everywhere if not brought upto temp regularly, engine components will frost/corrode including bores rusting, tyres will flat spot or perish the side walls also interior will go mouldy, petrol will crystalise ruining injection system etc. Of course all above mainly if sat outside.