ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Taking my 172 north to clioturbo, gonna try there £5k conversion

Clio182 turb Audi S5
Mines running 235 bhp which is more than enough. Any more bit much to keep down for everyday driving my opinion. id go for it puts a smile on my face every time still!

If its what you want, but if you sold your car, and put the money with the £5K you are going to spend, Im sure you could get a much nocer car than a 15 year old clio. Thats IMO of course. I would rather have a 3.0L Z4 or soemthing for the same money...

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Turbo clios hold good money so it's not totally pi55ing your money away, and if it's done buy then people will have peace of mind at a good job if you sold..

If you wanna do it, go for it...

OP - rememeber to factor in all the other things, like gearboxes, brakes, clutches etc that you will have to replace sooner/more often with the turbo.

It certianly wont just be £5K if you are planning on keeping it.

182 Trophy
Spend 3k on the low boost package and then spend the other 2k on a diff and update/upgrade the suspension. There's not much point in having loads of power and not being able to use it to its full potential. But good luck in whatever route you take

My advice, get it done, get them to map it to 280 or so, then turn the boost down 50%. I say this because it's very easy to get power hungry, and think "this is fast, but it could be faster" at least this way, all you have to do is have scoff/Andy adjust the boost control table and you have more power for free.

172 Turbo
My advice, get it done, get them to map it to 280 or so, then turn the boost down 50%. I say this because it's very easy to get power hungry, and think "this is fast, but it could be faster" at least this way, all you have to do is have scoff/Andy adjust the boost control table and you have more power for free.

You'd only go for the £4k turbo or the whole package detuned?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
If you have the spare cash go for it mate.

I wouldn't bother getting it detuned though. What's the point.

And as for it not being worth it. Yes you could buy a different car for £5k. But I doubt there will be much on the road you can buy in standard guise that is as quick as a 280hp Clio. Plus you have the uniqueness and surprise factor. And Clio running costs.

Listerine & Poledo
No, but...
-It'll handle a good sight better.
-Sound better
-Not implode on itself within 2 laps

Going fast in a straight line isn't hard.

I'd definitely say spend £3k on the 230bhp kit, get the gearbox refurbd, buy a lsd, sticky tyres, bbk, give the suspension an overhaul etc and have a car which is flawless, handles as it should, stops well and goes like stink.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
No, but...
-It'll handle a good sight better.
-Sound better
-Not implode on itself within 2 laps

Going fast in a straight line isn't hard.
Buy one then. I can all but guarantee that the OP is not going to be looking for a 330i if he's considering spunking £5k on a turbo conversion for a Clio.

Do these converstions all still 100% result in the owner selling within 12 months due to un-reliablity?

Thats how it used to work on here. I would never turbo a car that wasnt designed to be turbo. Its got to be a receipe for disaster IMO.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Do these converstions all still 100% result in the owner selling within 12 months due to un-reliablity?

Thats how it used to work on here. I would never turbo a car that wasnt designed to be turbo. Its got to be a receipe for disaster IMO.

i think that was before clioturbo who seems to have a very good rep

Quite few owners have kept them

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I agree that I would be super cautious if it were my money - but then I think £3-5k is a lot of money.

There are always people that will do the research for you. With Clios there has been a reliability issue, but people still do it and they do look like epic fun.

Listerine & Poledo
Buy one then. I can all but guarantee that the OP is not going to be looking for a 330i if he's considering spunking £5k on a turbo conversion for a Clio.
Nah, no BMW for me thanks. :)
And no, I agree, they probably wouldn't, but it's worth at least looking at the options before burning a big pile of notes on a £1000 clio.

172 Turbo
@Jeff simply I was saying to a friend last week about the running costs, we were in a position a few years back to buy an M3 or an Evo but frankly I'm scared of the running costs. Our friends have one of the late Evos and they don't use it that much due to it's drinking habit!

172 Turbo
Can't see them going up much, I'm already running RSRs and DS2500, so maybe a small increase on pad costs.

Being halfway through doing a DIY conversion myself and having been in @Dan@SJM and @Stopherson boosted clios I can say I'm very much looking forward to mine being done. My only advice would be maybe have a ride in one first to see what they can do. Andy has a good reputation and I haven't seen any bad work from him.

At the end of the day it's your money and you have to spend it on what you want. I spent my money on my clio because I like my clio, I know there are 'better' cars out there but I like my clio. People can't see why I've spent so much on a '1.5k' car but it's my money and my choice.

There are just so many better cars out there for the money. That arent going to go bang. And look better than a ten year old clio.

Anyway, your call.

Great advertisment for Cliosport forum, being a rep and driving a fiesta ST :)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
How much will the running costs differ being Turbo'd though? There's no way they'd stay the same imo - more tyres and brakes for sure, but what else?
In reality you might want to replace oil a bit more often, but lots of people do that (every 5k for example) anyway.

Tyres and brakes come down to driving style only and the Clio is a relatively light car which helps too. Think about it, what is really going to need servicing that didn't need regular servicing before?

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
I have read thought the comments and as people say reliability is probably an issue.

Here is some food for thought.
Megane 225 and remap it or tune it and keep the clio ? atleast you have a really fast car but when it goes wrong jump in the clio. plenty of smiles all round me thinks

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
If you have the spare cash go for it mate.

I wouldn't bother getting it detuned though. What's the point.

And as for it not being worth it. Yes you could buy a different car for £5k. But I doubt there will be much on the road you can buy in standard guise that is as quick as a 280hp Clio. Plus you have the uniqueness and surprise factor. And Clio running costs.

£3k audi and a remap?

Just for arguments sake