ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ta Technic 1.2 16v ph2

Has anybody fitted these to their car them self's?

If so i was wondering if i could ask a few questions

Do i need spring compressors,
Are they hard to do,
And roughly what would i need to do them my self.

Clio 182 trophy
I had these on my 1.2 you will need the spring compresses as you will need the standard top mounts, tool wise need an 18mm impact socket with a windy gun, a decent 18mm spanner that wont snap or bend, few punches and a sh*# load or wd40 ;)

I have all of that, ill give it a bash when i have the time. How low can you get these coilovers to go. It says only 70mm but i have heard people saying that the same coilovers can go lower than that

Focus st170
Mine had ta coilovers they go very low at the front mine still had another 50 or so mm to go. The rear springs are crap for lows tho need custom ones for good lows.
use6_zps9de42abb.png

Focus st170
the rear had corsa b 90mm springs and the front had loads to go down and still had the helper springs in.

Focus st170
This was the back before custom springs. Still had adjusters and cups in wound all the way down. There was a good bit of arch gap still.
DSCF8587_zps39202c02.jpg

this is a convenient thread!

was fitting mine today and have had many a problem

couldnt figure out the front, now i know i need the original top mounts

how do they attach and in what order do i put them on, and got any pics?

ive had a right mess of it :/

any help would be great :)

If you upload a picture of the parts you have it'd be easier for someone to help. I would if mine were off the car ;).

I have TA's so should be the same.

If you upload a picture of the parts you have it'd be easier for someone to help. I would if mine were off the car ;).

I have TA's so should be the same.

yeah, i would, but they are kinda on the car atm, its on axle stands so theres no pressure

this is the set
af34f0958e9da813cc71f32393b12434.png

the fronts are what i cannot fit, the back i think ive done correctly

1db5c790d8b1742fb781be2f5f8a144a.png

from that picture i took the rubber bits off the old shock (only the rubber bit)

toook the nut off the top of the new coilover
placed the rubber between the domed top of the coilover and a big silver washer then mounted it and screwed in the top mount

if you can follow that well done, ill take some pics in the morning

this is what ive done

sorry for the diagram, i just want to get it sorted soon :/
2ab1f8e2a376c4a2ff2adb36c7f4c6bf.png

the arrows represent the movement when mounted

as ive said i probably did it so wrong!

From what I can remember.

21mm nut
Top hat
Chassis
17mm nut
Rubber mount
Bearing (looks like a washer) - works one way only
Then the dome
Etc...

If that doesn't help I'll grab pictures of some scrap coilovers I have tomorrow, I'm sure someone has done an exploded view of the assembly.

From what I can remember.

21mm nut
Top hat
Chassis
17mm nut
Rubber mount
Bearing (looks like a washer) - works one way only
Then the dome
Etc...

If that doesn't help I'll grab pictures of some scrap coilovers I have tomorrow, I'm sure someone has done an exploded view of the assembly.

cheers man

ill check what ive done tomorrow too, will get a pic of the way they sit, its completely wrong!

and yeh i bet they have, i just cannot find a single one :/
even in the guide section!

id imagine someone did it for either these or the old rokkor /raceland coilies

I think with mine i am going to replace my top mounts. With the lowering springs i have just now + standard shocks. The mounts have been getting a fair beating.

Anyone know of good places to get new strut top mounts?

I think with mine i am going to replace my top mounts. With the lowering springs i have just now + standard shocks. The mounts have been getting a fair beating.

Anyone know of good places to get new strut top mounts?

You can get either a replacement rubber set

Or they do solid top mounts, haven't looked into them that much but they give better feedback and stuff, but you can probably imagine for an increased price

Well i managed to fit mine properly earlier, lowered it too much straight away and will raise them in the morning

Youll have to do the same amount of work to use lowering springs, i didnt decompress my original springs properly, just kinda fired them into a box, with new springs and shocks youll have to recompress the springs

the hardest part of fitting the coilovers was undoing rusty bolts

other than that it was piss easy!

Ill probably do the same, get them on and think lets just slam it!

My springs and shocks on just now are nackered so it will be a relief to get everything replaced.

Hahaa, best get the WD40 out the tool box then maybe buy an extra tin as well!

Ill probably do the same, get them on and think lets just slam it!

My springs and shocks on just now are nackered so it will be a relief to get everything replaced.

Hahaa, best get the WD40 out the tool box then maybe buy an extra tin as well!

Haha I used so much, I didn't have a proper socket set either kinda used spanners and stuff, lol

One of my rear springs had snapped, so I would have failed an mot anyway, I'll let you know about the ride and getting used to them

Ill probably be a bit weary when compressing my springs, especially with all the horror story's about them, but apart from that should be fine.

Haha, cheers mate. If their harsh cause i have heard they are a bit, that wont really bother me. Especially with already running on 60mm Lo lowering springs with knackered shocks. Hitting a pothole feels like running over a land mine

Ill probably be a bit weary when compressing my springs, especially with all the horror story's about them, but apart from that should be fine.

Haha, cheers mate. If their harsh cause i have heard they are a bit, that wont really bother me. Especially with already running on 60mm Lo lowering springs with knackered shocks. Hitting a pothole feels like running over a land mine

the springs were alright actually, i used a socket wrench and fired them, the first into the air (not clever), the second into a box which held all the bits fired off

i like the way they feel, been driving round today all fine, my road is a s**t hole so its a bit bouncy, gives me a better driving experience ~(without sounding like a *****)

gonna wait a few days until the springs have settled then lower it properly

if you are gonna buy some, i got mine for £220 new from ebay - using best offer on seller STW UK
if that helps :)

Might do the same then, just fire them off up the back of the driveway or something.

Yeah the roads about me are totally riddled with potholes and that but in sure ill cope haha.

£220 for the coilovers? The ones i got on ebay were £290. Cant remember the sellers name

Might do the same then, just fire them off up the back of the driveway or something.

Yeah the roads about me are totally riddled with potholes and that but in sure ill cope haha.

£220 for the coilovers? The ones i got on ebay were £290. Cant remember the sellers name

Yeah I would say use the top of the box that the coilies come in to catch it all

And so are the roads near me Haha it can be quite fun bouncing around tho

And yeh, did you use best offer? And even if you did pay a little more there still cheaper than vmaxx

Ill do that then, just need to be careful i suppose.

Yeah haha, i have a friend with an astra estate lowered on ta technix and they're as low as they can go and that was incredibly bouncy.

Yeah that's true. Im sure they will be worth it in they end. Have to wait a fortnight for them to be delivered

Ph2 Meg 225
is the back of the car more solid with these, with my 60mm springs on just now and my 25mm spacers it rubs like mad on the tyres with anyone in the back. Every alight bump all you hear is scrape.

its slightly stiffer although I'm currently having quite Abit of rubbing with 16mm spacers! I'm going to cut the lip off the inside arch slightly and repaint with rust prevention etc

I might have to do something similar, the rubbing on mine is unbearable. Every bump and pothole all it does is scrape,tyres are all marked already. So it will be interesting to see when coilovers are fitted

This fella comes in handy :)

u9a6y9a7.jpg

Aswell as rolling the arches, there is a little metal bracket that need folding back as that was the main thing that scraped onto my tyres. I'm at the equivalent of ET 20 with camber.

That looks a real decent bit of kit youv got yourself their mate. Ill see what its like when i fit my coilovers but if its unbearable then something will definitely need done. Not to sure what im the equivalent too. My wheels are basically flush with my arches. Don't know if ill get camber when coilovers are fitted but a few of my mates said i will due to the size of the spacers

Another question. Once these are fitted. Does anyone have any recommendations of places to get my tracking aligned. My mate works for quick fit and he told.me once my cars on coilovers their alignment machine wont fit under the arches or that.

Im going to attempt fitting these tomorrow.

I have the coilovers and also have bought the rubbers and washers separate. Since i have done this does this mean i wont need to compress my old springs to get any bits off that i might need?

Correct me if im wrong but once i take off the parts above the chassis which hold the shock absorber in place i can then just remove the shock absorber and spring, put my new parts on my coilovers and put it back in and put the old parts above the chassis back on?

I hope that makes sense. Im not the best at describing things.