ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Swappin a 172 for a Cup.. would u

Hey

My mate who has a Cup has offered to swap it for my 172.

I did nearly buy one b4 my 172 but couldnt go without the creature comforts. Although now i am realising i aint really using them all.

Wot would you lot do? your opinions would be appreciated...

Cheers ALex

Because he said he wants the ABS, leather, Air con etc etc.

Which does tell me something... that if i had the cup would i be wanting it too?

Lee

BMW M2C

To be honest, I did consider it. But then I realised that I use my car every day for transport more than anything else and I enjoy doing it in comfort.

I was chatting to a friend who works for Renault last weekend and I commented on the Cup (he also has a 172) and his reply was "why would you want a worse car than you have, its got no aircon, autochanger, Xenons and the seats are horrid". I think that seems to be what normal car buyers think. Its only enthusiasts or people on here who get what its about.

Guess ur right really.. maybe i was tempted by having a new car as i do get bored pretty easy. And these new 2004 1.2s are lookin more and more like mine.. even the wheels!! My lady is startin to say hey look theres another like yours...No love its not the same, especailly with mine being black.

Ill let you kno wot happens, i might swap tho

Lee

BMW M2C

If I was you Id go and drive it and see if its different enough to make you want to change.

As you say, the wheels go a long way in my view as Im not a fan of the 172 ones, but I love the Turinis on the Cup.

GW Clio 200

If your bored why dont you go get a 182, have the colour you want, the Cup performance together with the toys of the 172

Believe me, after having Air Con or CC you really miss them when there gone, go for a new 182 that s what I would do..... Indeed I did.... :)

<SCRIPT language=javascript>

C

Cupster

I used to have air con on my old car and I only ever used it to be honest. I would have bought a 172 if I could have afforded it but the extra cash in my pocket and the colour pulled me towards the cup. I would love the xenons and leather though yum!

I wondered the same thing and have decided not to. I just wish Id got a silver or blue. my girl say exactly the same thing about 1.2s oh that girls got the same car. I laff and say sort of

^^^ not as much as second hand 172s now. ;)

i was given the oppourtunity, and was verrrrrry tempted, tbh, the only thing tho that made me want a normal 172 is the xenons!!! mmmMMmmmm! lol

otherwise its not a big. I dont think a swap either way is really worth it. Youll miss you comforts fella. Just make it individual so peeps can tell it apart.

172 cup TT

Howdy - id (personnally) definitely, no questions asked swap it for the cup.. 2 mates have 172s and both want my cup(ones looking at another cup at the weekend to p/ex). After driving those two i would never dream of swapping as they seem so different - more of a hot hatch than a super/crazy nutta hatch :) - Used to have a well cozzy calibra (oooh! lol) before with cream leather, air con, blah de blah.... and i dont miss any of that in the slightest....

BUT thats only my opinion, so there you go...

Nice

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Floodie on 25 March 2004

...and i dont miss any of that in the slightest...
Im with you on this...having had a 306 for 5 years with air/climate control, automatic wipers etc., and then gone to a new shape Mondeo with its heated seats, heated windscreen, global window closing, aircon and so on...what do I miss the most since Ive had the CUP?

A stereo I can hear at 100 mph! Thats it...

Ive got to ask...and I know it may well end up being the proverbial stick in the hornets nest, but, whats not "comfortable" about a Cup? Everyone says they like their comforts...apart from aircon, and 5 extra disks in the CD changer, what do you mean? The seats are the same (in essence) arent they?

Clio 197

I have a 540i Touring for the family. All the bells and whistles. Which car do I drive for fun? All the time? The Ragnotti! Im no spring chicken but I like to drive.

172 cup TT

Actually Not_For_Long youve reminded me... When i told my old man i was getting a clio i think he thought i was turning gay! thinking "you dont want one of those clio things, they are all girls cars - your calibra is a proper mans car, and fantastic inside"... he saw the clio when i bought it home 1st time and he loved it, totally changed his mind... especially when he got in the drivers seat his exact words were..... "blimey, its bloody comfortable isnt it <<my name>>?" - i was suprised, and hadnt thought about it.. after a few seconds, nodded and had to agree :)

Nice

GW Clio 200

Floodie you will have to change the sig in your forum user name panel, as the fastest car behind the v6 is now the 182 :)

Quote: Originally posted by .:xTreme:. on 25 March 2004

Floodie you will have to change the sig in your forum user name panel, as the fastest car behind the v6 is now the 182 :)

yeah right..... ;)

172 cup TT

hehe - serious question here tho... 182 isnt faster than Cup is it??.... or is it???? surely its not - i dont know stats and cant be arsed to look .. drinking milk

Nice

No way would I swap my Cup for a 172. Horses for courses I suppose. I may swap my Cup for a 182 with Cup pack but I would see that as a step sideways.

we did it, Mk1 172 for a Cup, then Cup for a Vee !!!!

no regrets about having the Cup - its a great car, lots of fun - and how often is it hot enough in the UK to actually need the a/c?????

Seats in the Cup are fine - we did 25k in the Cup in about 18 months - never caused a problem !!

if you want it, go for it, dont think you would regret it !

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Rallye-King on 25 March 2004

No way would I swap my Cup for a 172. Horses for courses I suppose. I may swap my Cup for a 182 with Cup pack but I would see that as a step sideways.
But in the eyes of the normal buying public the Cup is a step down from a 172. Thats reflected in the price!

Revels Mum & Sister

I wouldnt Swap a 172 for a Cup

I would prefer a 172 or even better a 182!

And what Lee said above

Thanks for your opinions guys.. most appreciated.

I went to have a proper look at it last nite with my Uncle cos hes a mechanic 4 Renault. Its a "52" where as mine is a "02" mines done 21k his has done 12k, the knocking sound wasnt there, the sunroof didnt squeek, and there wernt no rattle at 4K???

Maybe this was a reflection on the age and mileage, just dont know but mine has all the above^^ and this hadnt. i did tell him about these and he didnt seem to care about the problems and still wanted to swap. Said id come back to him 2nite.??..

GW Clio 200

Quote: Originally posted by specialK on 25 March 2004

no regrets about having the Cup - its a great car, lots of fun - and how often is it hot enough in the UK to actually need the a/c?????

I dont know about the North as I havent been up there for years in the Summer, but in the South East of England during the Summer it is HOT HOT HOT!!!

I never had my Air Con off......... I used it all the time, so when people talk about creature comforts they are only talking about the CC. After a hard days work you can walk out to your car turn a switch or press a button and within minutes you are cruising in temperature controlled bliss. While your friends sweat in the rush hour traffic, the sun beating on them, they are begging for the traffic to move so they can create a breeze to cool off.

Quote: Originally posted by evy84uk on 26 March 2004

Thanks for your opinions guys.. most appreciated.

I went to have a proper look at it last nite with my Uncle cos hes a mechanic 4 Renault. Its a "52" where as mine is a "02" mines done 21k his has done 12k, the knocking sound wasnt there, the sunroof didnt squeek, and there wernt no rattle at 4K???

Maybe this was a reflection on the age and mileage, just dont know but mine has all the above^^ and this hadnt. i did tell him about these and he didnt seem to care about the problems and still wanted to swap. Said id come back to him 2nite.??..
the cup doesnt have a sunroof? lol

It definatley did not have the 4k rattle, so it must of been cured he did say it had been into renault for warrenty work on the center box.

Regarding the sunroof i always assumed that cups had one because of the loss of CC?? obviosly i was wrong and that explains why it didnt sqeek..lol. I never thought of lookin at the roof, was just concentrating on the ride.

Volvo S60 D5

If you have been using the climate control or air con a lot, youll notice it if you get a car without it!!

Id never have a car without at least Air Con now!

:D

Drive his Cup and see if you think it has more of what youre looking for. You must already be thinking its a much better drive for even considering it. (Why else would you even contemplate swapping your more expensive toyed up car for his toyless less expensive car).

172 cup TT

Quote: Originally posted by Clio1400 on 26 March 2004

Id never have a car without at least Air Con now!
Thats because you live in Tenerife and are one of those white merc driving taxi monkeys ;)

Nice