ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension Top Mount & Changing Springs

Clio 172 Cup
I have done several trackdays now and have a knocking type noise coming from the LF side of the car, which is getting worse and worse. I am assuming this is the top suspensions mount gone.

I know GDI do some steel ones for £105 plus VAT, are they worth going for or shall I just change to the original rubber donuts again?

While I'm changing the mounts I'm thinking of changing the springs as well, although tempted for the bilstein coilover kit, but a bit expensive for me at the moment. So will just go for some eibachs. What I need to know is can the springs be changed without spring compressing tools? Would I need any other special tools?

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
check the silent blocks

for changing springs you do not need any special tools nor spring compressor

Firstly, what are 'silent blocks'?......Also could you please enlighten us with your spring fitting/removal methods, Fred at Yozzasport told me the same thing. I found it impossible....but maybe you can explain.

You do need spring compressors! Trust me. Anything else is impossible!

Thats what I thought and after changing mine i'm still a little confused that it can be done safely without.....lets see if we get an explanation.

Clio 172 Cup
if you can hold on m8 then you will see them at silverstone ;)

hi mate, gotta get them done before silverstone, got cadwell next week and would like to get it done for that, in my videos you can reaaly hear the knocking now, even own the straights.

what are silent blocks?

Clio 172 Cup
Just found fred's instructions:

it won't boing, it'll "pop off" but not much!

open bonnet

loosen the 21mm top caps, do not remove though (they can be a t**t to get off on occasions, other times they simply undo with a rachet and socket)

jack up front of car, BOTH sides, otherwise you won't get the struts off (due to the ARB)

wheels off

unto 21mm strut bolts and remove, again they can be a bugger, so have a large hammer to hand and a lever bar to lift the wishbone with

strut removal is important as its VERY easy to wollop the strut straight into the CV gaitor (this is why you leave the top caps on!)

push strut back off hub and undo top cap

push lower half of strut back towards the rear of the car (if you try and get them out with the strut towards the front of the car you'll struggle!)

strut off the car

undo 17mm top nut

lay the whole strut flat on the ground as you do this

top mount will pop off

now this is the fiddly bit

put new spring onto strut (make sure you put it in the goorve at the bottom properly)

pull shock tube all the way up (you'll notice it'll sink back down on its own)

now you might need a friend here

you have to put the entire top mount assembly back on (easier in 1 piece) then press down on the top mount while you get a mate to spin the 17mm nut back on a few threads BEFORE the shock sinks too far

tighten up the nut

back on the car, job done

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Well i never used spring compressors when i put my standard springs on, i admit it would be easier with them, but it's not hard without.

BMW M135i
You don't need them but you should use them really, not to is a bad practise imo. Its all fine until a spring pops off in your face.

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI
The springs (standard ones) on my DCI 65 were so compressed so it was impossible to do without spring compressors. It would be very dangerous too. There is a lot of force in those springs!

williams 2
standard ones are cheaper and will go again in time. steel ones are good, we fitted to a v6 mk1 last week and he was over the moon with them.

always use spring compresser's too as a rule. Although as pointed out u dont need them on a renault sport but i think personally you have to be pretty damn stupid not to as undoing them something could go wrong.health and saftey says " theres always a risk but there are plenty of ways to reduce that risk" A lad i worked with when i was an apprentice cracked his skull doing that so ive learnt.

williams 2
unless somebodys fitted the bearings upside down then i dont see why thay should of broken up?? i no they fill up with grit and road s**t butthat normal causes a grinding sound.

Clio 172 Cup
cool, tell them to get off the phone, constantly enganged!

can you lend me a set of spring compressors for the weekend, i'm only from st. ives, lol

Lionel Richie
standard ones are cheaper and will go again in time. steel ones are good, we fitted to a v6 mk1 last week and he was over the moon with them.

always use spring compresser's too as a rule. Although as pointed out u dont need them on a renault sport but i think personally you have to be pretty damn stupid not to as undoing them something could go wrong.health and saftey says " theres always a risk but there are plenty of ways to reduce that risk" A lad i worked with when i was an apprentice cracked his skull doing that so ive learnt.

hope you're not calling me stupid!

post some pics up of these top mounts!

williams 2
i was saying in general fred. U no as much as me that they can be very dangerous.

not my place to post em up mate is it...

Agree ^^^ spring compressors on a 172/182 are 200% not required. Getting hit in the face/injured is a physical impossibility. The springs just arent under enough tension to release any energy and cause problems. I'd agree you need them if you were talking about a non sport variant or most cars in general but from personal experience this isnt the case on an RS clio.

Cup'd Monaco 172
I'd like to see these top mounts too. I am fed up with mine knocking. Fitted the washer spacers to no avail. I think I have play elsewhere.

Clio 172 Cup
yes thanks neal and chris, i think we are looking at a heatshield.

exhaust is fine.

the reason i was thinking it was the suspension was because it only happened on right handers (brands and snetterton), at donny it was also doing it on the straights, it has never done it on left handers.