ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

suspension problem ( needs lowering!!!) any advice and pics?

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
If any one can offer any advice on spring choice (and some pics of before and after if possible). i'm trying to avoid spending big doe on coilovers and hoping springs will work nicely.... After spending a couple of hours with a couple of pals (also 172 owners) we decided to go to town on the interior and ripped it all out, shredding some serious pounds in the process....... Only problem is its sitting with its arse in the air!! not really liking this look and need some direction in spending my hard earnt cash.
thanks for reading peeps.....

secret
Off subject but what have u stripped out mate?

Eibach springs are popular, Have a look on ktecs website at the prolines and sportlines, im sure thats what there called lol

Seat Ibiza
I've heard alot from Eibach Sportlines.
Easy to fit too i've heard. No need for spring compressors.

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
just about everything from the front seats backwards, except roof lining. what sort of drop do you think i'll get out of the sportline? i've heard the proline sit abit higher?

Seat Ibiza
I think the lowest is normally 40mm before they recommend to change shocks, but that was on a standard car so i'm guessing a little higher with less weight in the back.

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
keeping the spare wheel in aswell!! been caught out to many times. hearing good things about these sportlines. what about k-tec? someone told me they make there own springs now.

Z4 Coupe
If your getting Eibach's then Kam Racing is FAR cheaper than Ktec. Also on Renault sports, you don't need to use spring compressors;)

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
how comes i wont need compressors? i thought all springs had to be compressed, well fronts anyway. i was gonna pay someone to do the fronts for me but if your sure then i'll do them myself (hopefully before saturday!)

Da

Less
You don't 'need' compressors, but if you're a novice I'd certainly recommend using them!

I've done numerous front springs and the compressors make it a little safer.

Da

Less
People really shouldn't be suggesting that spring compressors aren't needed.

Seasoned mechanics wont use them, sure, but DIY'ers I would always suggest using them for everyone's safety!

If you've ever seen a spring let go you'll understand why.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Easily done on 1*2s without spring compressors, they are under very little compression when the struts taken out the car, really no need.

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
got enough expierience to do the job myself, just cant find my compressors...... looks like i may be parting with more money to get them fitted.

clio 5door sport rep
I just put some 40mm fk automotive springs in my Clio at the weekend... Easy enough to fit and gave a good drop... People say that handling is shot with them but I don't do track days just for driving about and I notice no difference and think they're fine... 60 euros plus 15 euros postage...

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
the springs are already quite short so they dont need the compressors to fit. You can just do it by hand.
The Eibach sportline are going to be the ones you want. The Pro-kit springs will look the same as standard with a stripped car.

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
I was going for the sportline's but everywhere local to me had to order them in and i wanted it dropped before clio sport saturday. I managed to get my hands on a set of spax springs ( 30mm all round ) just fitted the rears springs and now the cars finally sitting level...... i'm in desperate need of a back box as mine split yesterday!

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
I was going for the sportline's but everywhere local to me had to order them in and i wanted it dropped before clio sport saturday. I managed to get my hands on a set of spax springs ( 30mm all round ) just fitted the rears springs and now the cars finally sitting level...... i'm in desperate need of a back box as mine split yesterday!
you should have phoned us. We ship them out next day...

Clio Sport 172 Ph1
got some plans in the pipe line so will be in touch in the near future... a/c removal for a start if someone's got advice about this???

Mk2 Clio 1.2 16v
you should have phoned us. We ship them out next day...

Need to lower my 2001 mk2 1.2 16v, never touched suspension before, what would you recommend, the "Renault Clio Mk2 1.2 - Eibach Sportline Springs" @ Kam Racing look like the good option, what kind of drop compared to standard should I expect & do I need to replace any other parts while i'm fitting these?

Thanks in advance and excuse me for the slight thread-jack.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Its not mentioned in the main text but under the 'additional information' tab it shows it lowers between 40-50mm on your car.
As long as the suspension is healthy no other parts need replacing.

Mk2 Clio 1.2 16v
Thank you, I didn't see that first time around. I'm new to Cliosport, paid yesterday. Kam Racing seem cheaper than elsewhere, is there any further discount or coupon code I can redeem as a member? Will be ordering these within the next week.

Don't ask you don't get!

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
they are massively discounted. If we offered more we would not stay in business long :D