ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension for a 172

RenaultSport clio 172
Hi

Apologies if this topic has been done to death, but I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd ask.

Basically, what's the best suspension to put on the 172 (it's a 2000 car if that helps)......? I'm not bothered with harshness or a compromised ride, I have an Integrale too so in comparison the Renault will seem like a Bentley!

Also, what do people generally do regarding bushes, I suspect that poly versions are available? In short, anything handling related is of interest to me so strut braces, cradles, bushes etc, etc.

Regards

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
It depends what you want to go for. As with the brakes question, do a search and see what comes up.
Spring wise, Apex offer a good drop with improved handling, Eibach, not so much a drop but better handling. Then there are coilovers starting with Gaz and the like which reputedly aren't much kop in terms of handling but lower nicely. then you have Leda etc who are wizards but charge for the pleasure.
Strut braces - I think only OMP and Sparco cater for the 172 with the Sparco supposedly slightly better. As for the rear, don't bother as it does nothing other than sitting on the rubber bushes at the top of the strut.
In terms of bushes, you are probably already aware that the car will be stiff as hell as there will be very little flex in the polyurethane components but if you are tracking the car then it would be a good idea.
Hope my meager knowledge has helped a little.

RenaultSport clio 172
len_beach said:
It depends what you want to go for. As with the brakes question, do a search and see what comes up.
Spring wise, Apex offer a good drop with improved handling, Eibach, not so much a drop but better handling. Then there are coilovers starting with Gaz and the like which reputedly aren't much kop in terms of handling but lower nicely. then you have Leda etc who are wizards but charge for the pleasure.
Strut braces - I think only OMP and Sparco cater for the 172 with the Sparco supposedly slightly better. As for the rear, don't bother as it does nothing other than sitting on the rubber bushes at the top of the strut.
In terms of bushes, you are probably already aware that the car will be stiff as hell as there will be very little flex in the polyurethane components but if you are tracking the car then it would be a good idea.
Hope my meager knowledge has helped a little.

Hi

Eibach generally do good kit (very common on Integrales) so it's no surprise to see their name amongst the various options, and similarly no surprise to hear Gaz mentioned amongst the 'not so good' options. :D

I know the owner of Ohlins UK, through the company that look after my Delta, so the plan was to have the final 'set-up' done by them, i.e. corner weights etc. I'm after suspension that ideally will have adjustable top-mounts, and hopefully castor/camber adjustment too. I'm not suggesting that the Clio needs it, I haven't driven it hard enough to know, but the experience I've gained from preparing other cars tells me that those features are always good to have.

Regards

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Check the brakes thread mate re. who to speak to.:)

g18llo said:
Hi

Eibach generally do good kit (very common on Integrales) so it's no surprise to see their name amongst the various options, and similarly no surprise to hear Gaz mentioned amongst the 'not so good' options. :D

I know the owner of Ohlins UK, through the company that look after my Delta, so the plan was to have the final 'set-up' done by them, i.e. corner weights etc. I'm after suspension that ideally will have adjustable top-mounts, and hopefully castor/camber adjustment too. I'm not suggesting that the Clio needs it, I haven't driven it hard enough to know, but the experience I've gained from preparing other cars tells me that those features are always good to have.

Regards

The Leda coilovers use leda dampers with eibach springs and have a camber adjustment option. You can also adjust damping and specify what spring rates you want. They will change the springs free of charge aswell I think until you get the right setup.

GaryG a user on here can get the ledas at a reduced price so PM if you are interested.

By the sounds of it you are after coilovers to allow ride height adjustment for corner weighting and probably adjustable damping aswell?

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Cheep option.

Koni shocks and Eibach sportlines - Aprox 450

Then

H&Rs - 650

then

Ledas - 900

then

Bilstein 1.3k i think.

I have Konis and sportlines and really happy with them.

RenaultSport clio 172
EVOgone said:
I have Konis and sportlines and really happy with them.

I have gone for Konis and Eibachs too, I believe this to be a good 'middle-ground' between standard and the serious uprated stuff. I need to use the car with that set-up before deciding if the expensive stuff is worth the jump, it's only until you get to the likes Ohlins/Proflex (this is only my opinion, I might add) that you can have the handling without the compromise in the ride.

Regards

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
g18llo said:
I have gone for Konis and Eibachs too, I believe this to be a good 'middle-ground' between standard and the serious uprated stuff. I need to use the car with that set-up before deciding if the expensive stuff is worth the jump, it's only until you get to the likes Ohlins/Proflex (this is only my opinion, I might add) that you can have the handling without the compromise in the ride.

Regards

My shock are at 3/4 setting, they are very good and the ride does not crash at all. Plus it gets me round the ring well under 9mins..

You will be happy.

The Bus and MRT
Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm thinking of lowering my 172 as well but don't really have a lot of cash to spend. I used to have a saxo VTR and dropped that 60 and 65 and consequently had to get shocks and springs which wasn't cheap... I'm not going to be as greedy with the clio and was wondering is it possible to drop it about 40mm without needing new shocks, how bad will the ride be and how much will they cost?

Cheers

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Jo3y said:
Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm thinking of lowering my 172 as well but don't really have a lot of cash to spend. I used to have a saxo VTR and dropped that 60 and 65 and consequently had to get shocks and springs which wasn't cheap... I'm not going to be as greedy with the clio and was wondering is it possible to drop it about 40mm without needing new shocks, how bad will the ride be and how much will they cost?

Cheers
This is exactly what I am wanting to do. I will be using the Apex springs as they offer a 40mm drop with very little degradation of ride by all accounts. Just how long the dampers last is another question. The Eibach Sportlines also offer a similar drop but are a more expensive option.
P.S. The Apex's can be had for around £80-£90 I believe.

The Bus and MRT
K, cheers beach.. might have to do the same, shocking the amount of clearance between the tyre and the wheel arch on my 172 at the moment...

g18llo said:

Regards

Derek, get Ohlins so when you get bored (1-2 weeks) you can sell them to me cheap.:approve:
Have you thought about the proper Renaultsport gear, most of the aftermarket stuff i've seen is of varying quality IMHO.
http://catalogue.renault-sport.fr/accueilen.php#

Whats happend to the Pug then

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
len_beach said:
This is exactly what I am wanting to do. I will be using the Apex springs as they offer a 40mm drop with very little degradation of ride by all accounts. Just how long the dampers last is another question. The Eibach Sportlines also offer a similar drop but are a more expensive option.
P.S. The Apex's can be had for around £80-£90 I believe.

You having a laugh APEX are crap and the ride terrible. Get Eibach sportline, you get what you pay for.

I would recommend shocks as well as this gives just as big an improvement again. Koni are best.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Fred2001Dynamic said:
^^^amateur!^^^

Apex are infact very good for the ££
Thought so. I try not to comment until I've done a bit of research before hand.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
16vClio said:

Poop compared to Sportlines...Anyway people will always be attracted to cheeper end of the market.

Like most stuff you get what you pay for.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
EVOgone said:
Poop compared to Sportlines...Anyway people will always be attracted to cheeper end of the market.

Like most stuff you get what you pay for.
It's always good to hear different opinions. I take it you have experience of both the Eibach and Apex Evo?
What sort of drop and handling/ride balance did you get with the Sportlines?

RenaultSport clio 172
stu8v said:
Derek, get Ohlins so when you get bored (1-2 weeks) you can sell them to me cheap.:approve:
Have you thought about the proper Renaultsport gear, most of the aftermarket stuff i've seen is of varying quality IMHO.
http://catalogue.renault-sport.fr/accueilen.php#

Whats happend to the Pug then

Ha-Ha, I've been rumbled!!! :D

The Mi16 is being sold, mainly because I'd gone as far as could go without having to spend SILLY money. Similar kind of car to the 172, but the Clio is perfectly useable every day, the Mi16 (with the suspension I had) was not.

The black Evo is for sale on Ebay, the funds from that are going to do work on the red Evo; cams, turbo, Ohlins, manifold, etc, etc. The red Evo is Marcus' old car, I bought it last month. Mechanically sound, but it's been munched at by the roof/screen tin-worms.

Regards

g18llo said:
Ha-Ha, I've been rumbled!!! :D

The Mi16 is being sold, mainly because I'd gone as far as could go without having to spend SILLY money. Similar kind of car to the 172, but the Clio is perfectly useable every day, the Mi16 (with the suspension I had) was not.

The black Evo is for sale on Ebay, the funds from that are going to do work on the red Evo; cams, turbo, Ohlins, manifold, etc, etc. The red Evo is Marcus' old car, I bought it last month. Mechanically sound, but it's been munched at by the roof/screen tin-worms.

Regards

I was tempted when i saw it for sale :approve: