ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension decisions.

So atm I'm just looking at buying another set of coilovers for the track car.
First things first i dont have the budget for Ast's unfortunately.

What I'm stuck between is Gaz golds or GHA's.

There is a price difference of around £250... golds being the more expensive.
The real reason i was interested in Golds is because you can get higher spring rates even though GHAs go up to 500lbs, but now I've done quite a bit of research about springs rates and it seems not many people go above 500 really anyway unless its in competition (which mine maybe further down the line)
So is it worth spending the extra money, i have a feeling i want to go Golds just so I'm not restricted on spring rates.

Any ideas people, these coilovers will also be used with roll centre kit.
Thanks.

-Dan-

ClioSport Club Member
I agree with ^

I've just got AST and opted for 513/513 but its still not stiff enough so I'm going to move onto 627/684

I've bought cheap (well Koni) previously and they only lasted 2 years

Buy used AST's IMO.

Anything else and you'll end up replacing it later down the line.
Hmm not sure I really agree, and considering 2nd hand ASTs are gonna be about £250 more than the golds...

I believe the golds have come on a long way and are in no way a cheap coilover, they have very good customer service, so if the worst does happen it'll be easier to put right.

Alot of the boys in the Tricolour are using golds and liking them.

Buy used AST's IMO.

Anything else and you'll end up replacing it later down the line.
Hmm not sure I really agree, and considering 2nd hand ASTs are gonna be about £250 more than the golds...

I believe the golds have come on a long way and are in no way a cheap coilover, they have very good customer service, so if the worst does happen it'll be easier to put right.

Alot of the boys in the Tricolour are using golds and liking them.

LMFAO my used ASTs (sportline 2) were £150 :tongueclosed: bargains to be had if you're patient! I wouldn't touch Gaz, so many issues......
Was there a lot of sucky sucky involved haha?!

hmm I've run GHAs for about a year now, and they're not bad at all.

and people say they love their golds also...

but yep i am really tempted in the 5100s [emoji48]

really don't know :) they popped up for sale on here, expected them to be knocking or leaking or both, they're fine, luckiest buy ever :)
Haha, actually no I think I did see that post! or someone selling them stupidly cheap anyway!

Lucky git, well I was planning on getting asts but I think the guy needs coilovers to swap and I've just sold my others - so golds I think it is, I'm happy with the reviews of them, and they have uped their game from a few years back.

Track 172 Cup
have you had a look at these from Pure Motorsport http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/details.php?itemid=321&model=-1 all their other stuff seems pretty decent, I have the top mounts and brace and shifter which are excellent. Just something else to consider but at the price I would be looking at the used AST in the for sale section. which i'm debating on replacing my BC Coilovers soon (not decided yet but on my long wish list lol)

have you had a look at these from Pure Motorsport http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/details.php?itemid=321&model=-1 all their other stuff seems pretty decent, I have the top mounts and brace and shifter which are excellent. Just something else to consider but at the price I would be looking at the used AST in the for sale section. which i'm debating on replacing my BC Coilovers soon (not decided yet but on my long wish list lol)
Yep i really haven't heard much on the Avo's if their products are anything to go by they're gonna be superb.. but yep..

Yeah, well I can get golds delivered for £700 new with custom springs rates. I was so close to asts, but there's really no point being skint towards Christmas, and I'm pretty sure they won't hold me back especially with roll centre hubs, and a bit of confidence at the wheel.

I've got a set test route round here for checking suspension setup, AST handles it perfectly, gaz's no matter what setting, just seem to not be able to take mid corner bumps, BC's were very close to the AST's mind you!
Shouldn't be a problem on track though?

bumps or compressions!?

Your local track is Combe! Folley is very bumpy, and at over 100mph (over 140 in my case!) with a car that's skipping about it's not great.
I'm yet to go round coombe tbf, but with my previous ghas I found the damping to be very adjustable and very forgiving round really bumpy country roads, which I guess I could say I use as my test route.

Like would you say they're not good then? what's Nick running? as I know ash and Andrew glover like them.

Nick is on gaz as well, but he would be alot quicker with decent suspension. Nick does have a big power advantage over the others.
What are you running? ASTs?

Oh really, I thought I was pretty level at the top end, what's the advantage in terms of bhp?

He's running 220bhp and 185lb-ft. But that's on conservative rollers too (I've run 10+ bhp on other rollers)

I'm on bilstein, which are too soft, but they do hold folley well

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Id be tempted by the avo's my friend has just bought a Clio with avo's so I'll have to keep an eye on his car to decide for me lol

seanconnolly

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I'm waiting to see what it's like around brands lol the kw's are well soft even with the stiffer Springs they do!

dan's cast offs.
someone mention avo...

IMAG3085.jpg

Toomer89

ClioSport Club Member
  ff 1eight2
I'm still searching for the best coilover for my track car, would like AST's but really finding it hard to justify the price tag. Very tempted by the AVO's but there doesn't seem to be many people running them to give any feedback.

I wouldn't be put off by the gaz golds tbh! I'd get em
No neither mate, I can get them for around £720 with custom spring rates
They look lovely! where do you put the external res? just by the turret?
I'm still searching for the best coilover for my track car, would like AST's but really finding it hard to justify the price tag. Very tempted by the AVO's but there doesn't seem to be many people running them to give any feedback.
Yeah its a tough world we live in haha! no not really mate, yeah same boat with me regarding ASTs [emoji16]