ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Surface Rust on Brake Discs

Is there something to prevent this?

I wash the car and it looks a beaut but then there's these murky orange discs.

Surely there is a product to keep them shiny

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Gonna guess no, they're made of iron, iron + water = rust.

Yeah I know when I drive it it disapears but still just looks a bit grimey down there.

Having a driving liscense & keeping a car clean is completely different so no need to start there.

I just thought there might be a product. I mean there's a product for everything else, the technology in the day and age, I mean look at the new rampant rabbits :L

Simon,

The reason people are taking the piss is the simple fact that coating your brake discs in a product will render them useless. hence it looks like a pretty stupid question.

The simple answer is to drive the car forwards and brake, bringing the pad into contact with the brake disc, thus removing the rust coating.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Could always get Carbon Ceramic Disks.... I'm presuming these wouldn't rust.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
This is up there with 'Is my clutch made of rubber' and the chap that thought using a pair of tights as an air filter was a good idea.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Don't forget the link to the guy using sand to polish up the insides of the intake iirc.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Do this, no more rust...

yellow-painted-brake-calipers.jpg

172 cup- suzu rf600r
gotta be careful asking questions on here OP ;)

I don't know of anything you can add to your discs mate, but when replacing if you buy zinc coated they will look better for longer, the area where the pads remove the zinc coating will still suffer the surface rust but as said using the brakes will get rid

gotta be careful asking questions on here OP ;)

I don't know of anything you can add to your discs mate, but when replacing if you buy zinc coated they will look better for longer, the area where the pads remove the zinc coating will still suffer the surface rust but as said using the brakes will get rid

First decent reply :L

In fairness they were £10 jobbys from europarts :p

Si

RS Clio 172
Until the arches, suspension arms, underside, engine bay, exhaust and wheel inners are mint, treated or painted I wouldn't worry about a bit of rust of the brake discs. People who really care about car cleaning are more likely to notice one of the other areas I've mentioned.

Is this serious?

Also, why the hell do you keep putting ":L" in your posts? It means f*ck all.