ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SUPRISE... 172 CUP KNOCKING NOISES

Caterham/172/XC90/RX7
I've started getting a knocking noise on my 2003 172 CUP from the exhaust hitting the front cross member from it when it's getting the usual daily abuse.

So far i've changed the gearbox dog leg mount (which had seen much better days) and at the same time checked the engine mounts which are all spot on...

I'm starting to get confused, next thing i have got on my list to change is the rear exhaust mount. It's get a later k tec stealth exhaust fitted but it isn't much heavier than standard so I can't see that being too much of a problem?!

Has anyone else still had the knocking when driving hard, even after changing mounts? and if so what did you change?

Thanks
Simon

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
had most of mine changed and a mod to the top drivers side. car is ok now. think it will always make some kind of noise in first gear as its under the most stress. second is now quiet unless on bumpy roads. also have a ktec zorst. nothing to do with the rear mount i dont think but it cant hurt to change it. will do the mid mount next as theexhaust has started to sag on mine. ahhhh the joys

Nippy white cup
I have had a weird knock for a bit now...done same as you plus exhaust off etc and still doing it. Especially does it on bumpy roads or if I am accelerating from v low revs. Just before I took it back to the lockup I noticed if I brake even slightly whilst making the noise it stops so it looks like it could be something with the calipers maybe?

Chris

Caterham/172/XC90/RX7
Thanks Chaps

It's all sorted for now...

Changed the rear mount and played with the adjustable hanger behind the centre silencer on the exhaust.

Exhaust is clear from the body all along and for now hasn't knocked once, as you say hard acceleration in first can get the smallest of noises but I can live with that.

Thanks again
Simon