ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supercharger or turbo??

BG Clio 182 FF
Wanting to increase the power in my Clio 182, what route am i better going down? Supercharger of Turbo? and where about to get it done? I live in inverness so i doubt there is anywhere close ha. Thanks

Ph1 T
Is the power delivery completely different between the 2 Danny? Or is one easier to get more power out of?

Tbh I didn't even look at chargers no idea why like

BG Clio 182 FF
atm about 5k. I was planning getting a new car but starting to debate just spending the money on the clio

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Supercharger advantages:
Easy to get a nice linear delivery
Keeps the exhaust side simpler

turbocharger advantages:
no risk of pulling the crank pulley round (keyway fixes this on the charger too though)
more flexable in terms of mapping for different boosts etc
better economy generally speaking
cheaper to rebuild
possible to do with aircon

I'd go turbo personally, as does pretty much every manufacturer, but I do still like superchargers, just not quite as much as I like turbos!

Some people just think superchargers are cooler cause they are more different, but ultimately the reason they are more different is because turbo's kind of make more sense so are therefore more common!

172/1.2/E30
I'd go for a turbo application. More efficient as it's not taking energy from the crank but using exhaust gasses. Power delivery with a crank driven charger might be smoother but with a correct sized turbocharger spool up times and "lag" will be minimal.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'd go for a turbo application. More efficient as it's not taking energy from the crank but using exhaust gasses.

Thats a bit of a myth TBH mate, in terms of while the turbo is producing boost anyway.

Still loses power just the same really to drive it.

Power delivery with a crank driven charger might be smoother but with a correct sized turbocharger spool up times and "lag" will be minimal.

I love how mine drives with the turbo.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Do you know where the best place to get it fitted is? And roughly how much? cheers

I wouldnt have a clue up that way and TBH you arent spoiled for choice in general, Mike at MWM is very good but you'll be waiting months and months to book it in as he is so busy I suspect, you could try talking to scoff as he is at least in the right half of england to be nearer to you.

172/1.2/E30
Thats a bit of a myth TBH mate, in terms of while the turbo is producing boost anyway.

Still loses power just the same really to drive it.

I love how mine drives with the turbo.

Turbocharged applications do lose some power due to the higher exhaust backpressure made by the driven turbine. But these losses are quite lower than the mechanical losses made by a supercharger (up to 40 KW depending on application). If you look at a combustion engine as a thermodynamic system, you'll see that the point where the exhaust gasses are removed from the cylinder is a isochore heat/enery removal. The dynamic/thermal energy of the exhaust gasses will not be "recycled" on mechanical charged and N/A applications. When comparing the thermal efficiency, the turbocharged system is better as a part of the energy losses are used to pre-compress the fresh air.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Turbocharged applications do lose some power due to the higher exhaust backpressure made by the driven turbine. But these losses are quite lower than the mechanical losses made by a supercharger (up to 40 KW depending on application). If you look at a combustion engine as a thermodynamic system, you'll see that the point where the exhaust gasses are removed from the cylinder is a isochore heat/enery removal. The dynamic/thermal energy of the exhaust gasses will not be "recycled" on mechanical charged and N/A applications. When comparing the thermal efficiency, the turbocharged system is better as a part of the energy losses are used to pre-compress the fresh air.

Agreed, its certainly more efficient as I mentioned, but the higher EBP's result in much higher pressures above the pistons during the exhaust stroke which in turn increases the resistance they apply to the crank, so you still lose power at the crank, and also because of the higher EBP you end up with higher EGT, which can lose you power as well as it means you are more likely to get close to detonation, especially on a high compression engine.

Depends on charger type too, a centrifugal one has far lower losses than the sort of 40KW you are talking about from a displacement one.

Im just keen for people to realise its not "free" power the way some people think it is, although clearly you are already aware of that :)

172/1.2/E30
The higher EBP can be compensated (under certain circumstances) by the higher pressure in the cylinder after the decompression. To get a mechanical charged system more efficient than a TC'd application you'll need far more engineering/dimensioning work. If you compare the typical F4R low boost application (Rotrex and T28/T25) the TC'd application will work more efficient.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The higher EBP can be compensated (under certain circumstances) by the higher pressure in the cylinder after the decompression.

Not sure I follow what you are on about there?
At what degree of crank rotation from and to are you referring to?

To get a mechanical charged system more efficient than a TC'd application you'll need far more engineering/dimensioning work.
No you wont, you will need new rules of physics. FLOL

172/1.2/E30
Not sure I follow what you are on about there?
At what degree of crank rotation from and to are you referring to?

No you wont, you will need new rules of physics. FLOL

To drive a turbine, you'll need a positive pressure delta between turbine inlet and outlet. The outlet pressure will theoretically be atmospheric pressure. The inlet pressure is (theoretical again) the remaining pressure in the cylinder when the exhaust valves are opened (after decompression/work cycle). If there is more load on the turbine due to the charger having to compress air higher, you'll need a bigger pressure delta. This can be compensated by having a higher remaining pressure in the cylinder after the work cycle due to the higher cylinder pressure before compression.

A SC'd system can be more efficient under certain rpm/load points when a TC'd system won't get enough pressure delta or exhaust gas mass flow due to the charger size/application.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
To drive a turbine, you'll need a positive pressure delta between turbine inlet and outlet. The outlet pressure will theoretically be atmospheric pressure. The inlet pressure is (theoretical again) the remaining pressure in the cylinder when the exhaust valves are opened (after decompression/work cycle). If there is more load on the turbine due to the charger having to compress air higher, you'll need a bigger pressure delta. This can be compensated by having a higher remaining pressure in the cylinder after the work cycle due to the higher cylinder pressure before compression.

You mean that when you are on boost you end up with even high EBP, if so then yes of course, but I dont view that as a good thing at all, in fact quite the opposite.

Like I said though, just to clarify, at what sort of degrees of crank angle from and to do you mean, as you arent really making it very clear exactly where in the cycle you mean as you are being so vague with how you are describing things.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
A SC'd system can be more efficient under certain rpm/load points when a TC'd system won't get enough pressure delta or exhaust gas mass flow due to the charger size/application.
Lol, yes when outside of the RPM window in which the turbo makes boost its obviously not going to score well, kind of goes without saying that though TBH!

172/1.2/E30
Lol, yes when outside of the RPM window in which the turbo makes boost its obviously not going to score well, kind of goes without saying that though TBH!

That's true. But it's quite an important point especially on petrol engines where VNT TCs aren't that common. A reason to use a combined system as in the 1.4 TSI engines.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That's true. But it's quite an important point especially on petrol engines where VNT TCs aren't that common. A reason to use a combined system as in the 1.4 TSI engines.

Standard road cars are quite a different application to what I normally tend to be involved with, although I do have a compound charger plan for my nova.