ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supercharger for 1.2 16v

I was talking to a guy at Weston wheels who has a 1.2 16v who Ktec was his sponsor and he said they are building a supercharger for his car!!! If they can manage it what sort of power do you all reckon it will add, and how much would it affect the durability of the engine?

I didnt think it was possible to do this to small engines?!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

yep of course it is

the 1.2 could in theory handle much more power but the boxes arent strong (trust me im an expert on this)

looking at max 120bhp but you could do that without an s\c too search for the tbs on my 1.2 post

no reason why you cant put a supercharger on a 1.2 as for reliability etc as long as its not trying to run too much boost or hike the bhp up to stupid amounts then i cant see any reason why it cant be reliable and usable everyday, from memory the engine in a suzuki cappucino is a 3 cylinder 700cc (think its 698 or something but you get the idea) and ha a turbo so why not a supercharger on a 1.2 4 cylinder

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

or the great march (micra) 998cc engine turbod and s\cd

tbh i wouldnt bother, it would cost you £1000s in boxes.

I dunno, my mate reckons there is an outside chance it could double the power! I doubt that myself but you never know!

Are the Clio engines more tuneable than other 1.2s? as more seems to be done to them

Also does anyone know who this guy was he was driving a 51 plate black dynamique, sounded like he was from up north and his car was being used by ktec to build clio mods!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

150bhp is possible too!, sh*t 300bhp is possible!!! if yer have enough £££

(sounds like fred to me)

But the box wouldnt take 15bhp increase let alone a 75bhp increase. the box would have to be swapped for a dci 80 one

il just say its possible but pointless

for the conversion u may aswell drop in a 2nd hand 172 engine then go on to mod this

Lionel Richie

Im meant to be doing some development work with K-tec, im going down there on thursday, ill do some finding out!!!! (I know nowt about this supercharging stuff BTW)

Monaco 172

i agree with wongy, there isnt a lot of point putting an s/c on a 1.2 because for the money you could drop a 172 lump in and have 172 bhp straight away!

it will make it less reliable, cars such as the cappucino and smart cars come fitted with turbos have low comp turbos which will see not very high power figures

save your money until you can afford to buy and insure a 172

Yo billabong mate, was it a black 1.2??? with quite a short guy who owned it? Lowered on 17s, k-tec racing stickers everywhere, body coloured, etc etc??

Coz I spoke to that guy for quite a while.

Lionel Richie

Theres no way you can "easily" put a 172 engine in a 1.2!!!! loads of work envolved + it would cost sh*t loads!!

find the smashed up 172, freddy i cant see why its so hard to drop a 172 lump in. its basicaly the same car anyway

take the whole lot across,,box driveshaft engine mounts blah blah blah

be reliastic, u bought the 1.2 cos its cheap to run ect ect ins friendly

SC it wont yield good power as its still only a 1.2, ull spend all that money on the engine to have like zetec-s performance whereas with 2.0 172 engine u will have realiable power

realistically you may aswell buy a 172 if your going to transplant the whole running gear across, you will want the brakes etc aswell.... lot of work.

MOST insurance companys will keel over if you tell them your 1.2 is getting a addition like that, the more power you have as standard the less concerned they will be when you add to it basically.

Lionel Richie

To do a 2.0 conversion youll need -

172 engine

172 ECU

172 Box

172 front and rear suspension complete (whole rear beam)

172 driveshafts

172 front and rear brakes (whole rear beam)

172 master cylinder

172 clocks

172 front bodywork (to accomodate wider front suspension)

Price this lot up, and what do you get??? a damn big bill!!!!!!

This is why im gonna be different and go for a new engine thatll be as quick/possibly quicker than the 172 (non turbo)

freddy

ok then u do that, but i cant see it being quick

prove me wrong i guess.

not having a dig at u, but i remember once this guy with a KA he turbo charged his engine (£4000) and how fast was the KA when it was all done

as fast as a bog standard xr2. now thats a waste of money for that sort of cash invested

who said u need the suspension and sh*t. im sure u can have the most basic of mods like engine ecu box just to get it all running,

yeah but then yourdriveshafts will wear in no time at alll, you wont be able to stop for sh*t (and when you try they will just fade!), and the weight diff between the two engines will redistribute the front-rear balance, to...who knows.

Corsa 2.0 16v baby

pointless exercise if ever i heard of 1. why bother when u can transplant a valver or gtt lump instead, itll be far cheaper and more reliable :cry:

trust me

fred has the only sensible modding option for the 1.2 16v

and it doesnt involve using a 2.0ltr engine

what is the point of s/c a 1.2 16v?? i have hit the limiter in 5th (6,500rpm) and that was only with an exhaust and filter, at the end of the day, the power gains from a s/c are not going to be worth the money put into it

when fred finally posts plans of his engine, you will then see what is possible at a fraction of the cost, and reliability shouldnt be an issue (though that rpm limit needs to come down a touch fred)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

oh hes doing that... oh i see.

cool

(would still change the box tho)

Connor, yeah it was the short guy with the black Clio, with the badly sprayed engine cover and chrome induction kit. I much preferred the girls blue 1.2 16v clio opposite that was well nice (she had 2.0 badges on it for "effect") gave me some excellent ideas for mine!!!

Yeah I think i remember that.... did you see the other blue 1.2 16v clio at the stage side of the cars??? She was parked on the concrete opposite the MG ZR with the myneer kit!

That looked awesome.... although, I was looking at it and reading all the mods listed on the paper, and well it didnt mention a spray job yet it had the Monaco (cup) Blue and it was the 1.2 16v! You cannot get this colour on any other car other than the cup from renault & she didnt mention she had a spray job so im not sure what was going on! couldnt find her to ask her either! do u know the one im talking about??

Lionel Richie

The engine i intend on using will be non turbo/non supercharged

Thats all im saying!!!!

Wongy i will have to prove you wrong!!!!!!! ( i love a challenge )

Quote: Originally posted by bambam on 27 August 2003

trust me

fred has the only sensible modding option for the 1.2 16v

and it doesnt involve using a 2.0ltr engine

what is the point of s/c a 1.2 16v?? i have hit the limiter in 5th (6,500rpm) and that was only with an exhaust and filter, at the end of the day, the power gains from a s/c are not going to be worth the money put into it

when fred finally posts plans of his engine, you will then see what is possible at a fraction of the cost, and reliability shouldnt be an issue (though that rpm limit needs to come down a touch fred)

Whats the bet nothing happens?

I, in all honestly cant see a single point in charging a 1.2, slapping in a 172 engine or anything. No matter what people say, no car is so nice (from body mods) that putting in a larger engine isa good idea. Itll jsut be poor......full stop.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 28 August 2003

Whats the bet nothing happens?

I, in all honestly cant see a single point in charging a 1.2, slapping in a 172 engine or anything. No matter what people say, no car is so nice (from body mods) that putting in a larger engine isa good idea. Itll jsut be poor......full stop.

oooo your going to be eating your words, poor my arse!!or once you are wrong......full stop.

Well, if you spill the beans we can more accurately take it apart and analyse it.

Or is this a "2 yrs later when i have the cash" sort of project?

i want him to turbo it. Ill start annoying him about it soon.

small t2/t25 turbo, low comp pistons, not massive boost i reckon you could see close to 200bhp.

Fueling wouldnt be to hard to sort out. The only real time consuming part would be the inlet manifold for the turbo. But it wouldnt be impossible. If people like HGP, Novitec can turbo new puntos and cinquecentos. then the clio can be done.

They can do it to 1600 mk2 golfs, that start life at 75bhp, see around 175bhp afterwards.

We will see though

veedubber

the inlet manifold is the easy part.....you dont need to touch it.

The exhaust would need a 1/4" thick T plate adapted to it, the fueling would be kinda tricky if your not content with settling for the crap 5th injector method.

And 200bhp on low boost with low comp pistons......erm no.

Quote: Originally posted by veedubber on 28 August 2003

They can do it to 1600 mk2 golfs, that start life at 75bhp, see around 175bhp afterwards.
Isnt this irelivent as your compairing a 1.6 to an engine 3/4 of the size if the engine is 3/4 of the size then for equivant other factors then a 1.2 should give about 135hp which is little more than Clio GT engine has.

Also if you get 90hp from the engine without forced induction then the best you can hope for with 1 bar pressure is 180hp and that is very unlikely (Im sure BenR is more knowlegable then me on this though) that it could ever do this due to inefficiencies in the engine. To get 200hp you must be talking about 1.5bar minimum which would completley destroy the Clio engine also the pistons would have to be lowered a massive amount of compresion to make the engine run for just one RR run.

EDD

Do we always have to spend all day answering the same questions?

I mean, people ask and ask and ask, but who ever does it!?

All engines work the same way, all respond the same way to the same modifications. How well depends on the design of the engine.

How much faster......not much.....its 90bhp!