ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Subwoofer recommendations?

Listerine & Poledo
I use one of the Kenwoods in an MX5, goes behind the passenger seat.

Depending on what systems you may have had before, don't expect too much from these underseat units. It'll fill out the sound and let you turn it up more without having your tweeters take your ears out, but it's not going to shake your windows.

I can't really fault it.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
  Listerine & Poledo
I would also add that swapping out the OEM speakers isn't worth it, not unless you do intend on amplifying them. Stock kit is more than capable enough to handle head units.
"Stage 1" ICE upgrade: Head Unit. Subwoofer

Reactions: Gus
  Clio 182 - RB
Stock speakers are crap in the Clio, what you want is JL Audio speakers all round [emoji344] Add some Dynamat too!

££££'s! Still on the hunt for a sub as i hate the one thats in my car! Although, the one i want is £400, ffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Listerine & Poledo
Stock speakers are crap in the Clio, what you want is JL Audio speakers all round [emoji344] Add some Dynamat too!

Horses for courses.
Between a sub in the boot, alpine in the dashboard and stock 172 speakers, mine was fine. But probably not enough to handle the UK Grime scene.

Clio 182 - RB
Horses for courses.
Between a sub in the boot, alpine in the dashboard and stock 172 speakers, mine was fine. But probably not enough to handle the UK Grime scene.
Depends what you listen too, as I know you're taking the piss I listen to UK Grime [emoji636] Before hand it was fuzzy, not its prime.

Clio 182 - RB
Also, my 'ice' upgrade will be coming with me to my next car, so ideally its not money lost imo.

Clio 182
Based on this thread I now have a kenwood unit ready to fit.

I'm intending to connect to the fuse panel rather than battery.

Any tips on where to run the RCA cable so it won't interfere with the power cable which will run passenger side. I will place it under the passenger seat.

I'm also thinking there is already power under there to the CD player but I doubt the wire is up to carrying 7.5amps

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Listerine & Poledo
If you're going to have it under the pass seat, you may as well run a fresh line to the battery....
Or... hang on. Battery is on the pass. Side underbonnet, yeah?

As for your RCAs, can't really think how you'll avoid it, but some good quality, shielded RCA should mean you're fine to keep them close to powet

Clio 182
If you're going to have it under the pass seat, you may as well run a fresh line to the battery....
Or... hang on. Battery is on the pass. Side underbonnet, yeah?

As for your RCAs, can't really think how you'll avoid it, but some good quality, shielded RCA should mean you're fine to keep them close to powet
Thanks - I've never really done a job like this before. I've now installed the sub, run all wiring in a loom to the glovebox area.

I don't have an RCA cable so cannot finish the job. I'm still keen to use the fuse box as it's right there and I can't easily see a grommet to get though.

The instructions seem to indicate the system needs two power sources. One is to the battery and therefore permanently live. There is a spare permanent live in the bottom of the fuse panel so I will use that.

The other is for the sub signal cable (blue wire)
I've connected this to the spare blue wire in my head unit loom but it has another connector which it seems on the diagram to connect to a switched live.

I'm really wondering if that's really needed? I don't have a wire in the kit for that. The head unit has power, the sub has its power.. why would another power connection to the signal wire be needed?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
The blue remote is so the sub is only on when the headunit is on. It may drain your battery otherwise.
The power consumption may be more than the fuse panel can take - Im not a hundred percent sure about this but I would look in to it.
The kenwood linked in the OP is 150w so 150 divide by 12 v is 12.5 amps - will the spare fuse connection take this.
You also need an earthing point for the sub too.
The grommit/bung that you refer to is the bonnet lever cable , follow that and it will go through the bung. This is the hardest part of the install - getting the live cable through that. @chaski gave me a tip in using the bic biro with the insides taken out.

Listerine & Poledo
Live power & switched power.

The switched power is triggered off of... errrrr
The head unit? Maybe?
s**t, I can't remember, it's been ages.
@Scrooge

Also, from anything I've ever seen, don't run your live power through the fuse box. Get it on the battery.

Clio 182
Live power & switched power.

The switched power is triggered off of... errrrr
The head unit? Maybe?
s**t, I can't remember, it's been ages.
@Scrooge

Also, from anything I've ever seen, don't run your live power through the fuse box. Get it on the battery.
The reason I wanted to use the fuse box was;

1) it's easier
2) I saw a post on another forum where the poster had done this and had no issue
3) the amp would have two 10amp fuses in line protecting the amp
4) 150w is not going to happen in my car as I just don't listen to music that loud
5) the instructions show the cable connecting to the fuse panel rather than direct to the battery ?
6) the cable already has a 10amp fuses in line so surely this must be the max with some headroom

9fe9a5df7f375dba2d8ec1a51803ac35.jpg

However I am new to this so willing to take advice

Last edited:
  Clio 182
As an update I managed to use the fuse panel and the blue signal wire works from the head unit. The sub powers on and off with the head unit.

The fuse panel fuse slot is a switched live. It's the rear wiper I think.

Still no RCA cable so I can't test it properly yet. I soldered the add a circuit to the battery cable.

The pic below shows it finished. The second tap is actually no longer in use. It was powering a dash cam. I need to move these about a bit as clearance is a bit tight in there

b4298291b71b476bb1c6bfac6b4518cb.jpg

Clio mk3 1.4
Hey, i have the same sub and was wondering how the fuse box power installation is still holding up?. What fuse are you using?
Sorry for renewing an old post

Clio 182
Hi - I sold the car and removed the sub. Ive no reason to believe there would have been a problem though.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk