ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stu's Track Project

Track 172 Cup
Well finally bought a 172 Cup to share with my Dad doing Track days and thought I would post some pictures up.. Took delivery from @Chi today and after biting the bullet and Insuring (£299 fully comp with Greenlight as a 2nd car) and throwing 6 months tax on (was going to do it monthly and just sorn and re-tax when I was doing a track day but lost patience with the DVLA website and just did 6 months). Took it out for a spin and its a nippy little bugger lol (wish it was as quick as the 300hp turbo Chi took me out in lol that was a BEAST). First things will just be a good clean and tidy and if we get a nice day maybe get my dad to throw the rotary over it and polish it up a little and maybe get some of those nice shiny stainless towing eyes as I don't have any to put on when I go on track and thinking about stripping the interior out the back might do a couple of days first see how it goes as I've heard it doesn't weigh that much and I don't have a cage yet.

Spec : BC Coilovers, Quaife Slip diff, 2 x Cobra Monaco Bucket seats with harnesses, Renault Sport Sabelt Steering wheel, Powerflow cat back exhaust, ITG Maxogen Carbon Induction Kit, Anti Roll bar, Powerflex Bushes (not sure which unless Chi can remember for me) and also a spare set of Speedline 2118's could do with a refurb but debating this as they will be track wheels.

20141201_153259_zpse99b39bb.jpg

20141201_153246_zps1173225f.jpg

20141201_153224_zps2de8d137.jpg

20141201_153209_zpsc488dbdc.jpg

20141201_140520_zpse7dd2d8c.jpg

Last edited:

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Look forward to chasing you round Oulton mate or maybe the ring trip I keep promising myself...

Track 172 Cup
Looking forward to getting it on a track soon Haha don't think you'll be chasing long (especially if you take that turbo), Definitely taking my Dad to the Ring next year lol soon as I know what dates its open next year I'm booking the time off work and going not been for about 6-7 years last time I went was in my MK4 Golf R32.

That looks a nice spec for track work :)
Do you have cobra sliding frames with those seats? Good driving position?

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
This is definitely a car I will miss, brilliantly setup and absolutely spot on.. Everyone who drove it commented on how good it was..

Track 172 Cup
Dropped my 2118s off to be refurbished white on Thursdays hoping they come back good. And want to get it stripped out and all the wires/cables tidied up ready to work on my shopping list.

Shopping list : (so far)

Projector Headlights (for the HID kit which is fitted at the min but in the reflectors so blinding everyone that drives towards me lol)
4 x Yokohama AD08r (for the speedlines)
Tracking and wheel alignment
Roll Cage
ATE brake fluid
Brembo HC Discs and Ferodo pads (not decided on 2500 or 3000 have to decide with G172 after I have checked my current setup of Carbon Lorraine pads and unknown discs either OEM or aftermarket)

Track 172 Cup
@JoeMarano Yeah they're sliders luckily as I'm 6'1 and couldn't be doing with fixed runners plus I share the car with my dad. They're pretty comfy too once your in them just feels weird as I can just about see the end of the bonnet with them being pretty low down.

Track 172 Cup
DS2500 aren't good for track and DS3000 will make a right mess of your white wheels.

1. What do you recommend Pad wise for mainly track and some occasional road use? when you say make a mess is it the brake dust or particles that damage the wheels? They will be sealed with plenty of Gtechniq C5 wheel sealant before they go near the car.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I found the DS2500 would fade after a while and the last time I used them they glazed over and took the discs with them. The DS3000 are good pads but they wear discs and the dust eats into the paint on the wheels and the car.

Yellowstuff are pretty good for the money but I find the brake co-efficient a bit low. I'm using Carbon Lorraine RC5+ at the moment, they give DS3000 equivalent braking without the nasty dust but they cost a bit more. RC6 are the next ones up but they wear discs a bit quicker.

There's a group buy going on at the moment on Carbon Lorraine pads, have a look in the group buy section of the for sale forum.

Track 172 Cup
I have the carbon lorraine pads on at the min and they seem very good had to anchor on the other day while taking the car for a blast to blow the cobwebs off and they stopped me pretty quick lol was mainly for future reference as I would definitely want to get the use outta these first. Just not sure if I have oem disc's as I bought the car and have drove it twice for about 20 min each time and parked it up. Wish I had a garage to work in lol even if it's just so I can get time to strip the interior out somewhere it's not raining or blowing gale force winds haha.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah they are very good, all you need to go with them are the normal Brembo HC discs around £40-50.

I need to build a new garage, that's the plan for next winter. I've got a car port to keep the car under but it's not wide enough to open the doors fully. I feel your pain with winter car work!

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Yeah the DS1.11s are my fave pad so far. Fine from cold, good release characteristics, flat torque profile (don't randomly change coefficient of friction with heat build up during a braking phase), very good wear, no noise, don't fade.

Have tried Mintex 1144s (shite), 1155s (ok in the rear but wear pretty fast), Carbone Lorraines, DS2500s. I can't comment on dust as I don't care about it / have proper colour wheels (matt black) :smiley:

Track 172 Cup
Well managed to get some stuff done lately... Took me all day (about 5 hours) to fit my rear cage. The spreader plates are 4mm thick and 7"x7" on the inside of the car floor and 4"x4" 6mm on the underside just incase, the rear arches have 3"x8" 4mm thick on either side of the arch all held in with M10 bolts and nyloc nuts. Just need chance to get my mate to TIG weld them down hopefully tomorrow before I go Oulton on Tuesday.

And fitted my 2118 Speedlines, they have brand new 195/50/15 Michelin pilot sport 3 on them as I was undecided what to use on track so thought incase the weather is bad I'll use some decent road tyres and use the spare set of wheels for some more dry orientated tyres, Also found I have Goodridge braided hoses already on there too. Cleaned it all out and cleaned whats left of the carpets and seats and cleaned the bare metal.

It was very dark when we finished about half hour ago lol so will try and get some more pics tomorrow of the inside with everything fitted back in and all nice and clean. @Chi what you think now, coming along nicely.

20150125_163954.jpg
20150125_164010.jpg
20150125_164025.jpg
20150117_151025.jpg
20150117_151049.jpg
20150125_164039.jpg
20150125_164057.jpg

Track 172 Cup
Already done it @JamesBryan the wheels on their own is a slightly older pic lol had to do the hub faces too, just wish I knew then what I know now and that I should have told the powder coater to mask them up.

Just need to move the Cold air feed and get some ducting to the front brake's and maybe thrown an Oil/Filter change in and Brake fluid.

Attachments

• Hubs 2.jpg
    Hubs 2.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 75
  • Hubs.jpg
    Hubs.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 26

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Stu are you selling the 15's that came off? If so have you got a pic please. Oh and the car looks spot on, love the wheels

Track 172 Cup
Was debating on selling the wheels and part worn AD08r that are on them to fund a spare set of Team Dynamic 1.2 or something along those lines or just keep them and use them myself lol (after the hassle I just had with the refurb on the 2118's im in two minds lol). I will let you know though what I decide to do. They're in the van as a backup for Tuesday just in case.