ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stupidly loud Ktec stealth

Megane R26
Will a silenced centre section make a decent difference to the loudness of my Ktec stealth? It's very loud at pretty much any rpm.

It's on a ph1 with 182 manifold, link pipe and Supersport Center section.
My 182 with a decat and non resonated Ktec /Janspeed was really raspy, not boomy and in Comparison, not loud at all.

I'm looking to have the droopy stealth exit replaced by a 2.5 inch recessed exit, hoping to face the noise out back instead of down?

Any quieter alternatives or anyone want to swap?
jom3tdov.jpg

monaco 172
I've got the same problem.

I'll be getting a centre section fitted in a few months due to recent news of a baby which I don't want to deafen. If it's still too loud it might be by by Clio, hello boring old man car

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I feel like it was jonff off here who had a ktec stealth WITH decat when CS did a cat and fiddle run many years ago.

Was one of the loudest cars I've ever witnessed on the road lol.

monaco 172
I was hoping to try decat with a centre section as that was defiantly the best sounding setup on my 182 but that was with a n.a. speed 2.25 which just sounded amazing to be honest. The stealth is 2.5" so probably why there's the extra boom

I read somewhere that if you chop the tail pipe at a 45 degree angle it won't be as loud as the noise won't be going straight to the floor

Megane R26
My 182 had a 2.25 ktec /Janspeed decat system without a mid silencer and it was a lot quieter and not boomy at all.

I'll get the tip chopped next week and have a recessed tip put on, hopefully face the sound away

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I feel like it was jonff off here who had a ktec stealth WITH decat when CS did a cat and fiddle run many years ago.

Was one of the loudest cars I've ever witnessed on the road lol.

Think it’s the video I remember. Stupid loud lol

monaco 172
Had exactly the same.Switched too silenced centre and noise and drone was 10 times better
I like the sound of that!

I also like the idea of a recessed tip.

Could a stealth back box be modded to look like a recessed and fit into a cut out in the bumper?

dan's cast offs.
even with a box and the tail cut to more of an angle it's still not a good system, just can't get them sounding nice or reasonably quiet.

i won't remind you about me saying the pms system would be ideal for what you want :tongueclosed:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I remember watching that thinking it sounded awesome. Now, I’m not so sure.

Age thing lol.

Reactions: DrR
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
I remember watching that thinking it sounded awesome. Now, I’m not so sure.

Age thing lol.

It actually does sound pretty wild. Not something I'd have, but it absolutely howled. Very cool when you're on a run with 20 other cars. Probably a bit much when you're navigating the parking spaces at Waitrose though.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
I got a tip made up on my stealth & it made a bit of a difference,but i still get the drone nosie at 75/80mph on motorways etc.
To me it sounds like it comes from the front like fire wall part or centre section.

But i guess it doesnt help when mine is a cup with no sound deading.

BE9601C4-2CD0-4FCB-8031-78DF432826CD.jpeg
8BBD6163-3141-4D4F-800D-916E09D1DA67.jpeg

Last edited:

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
My cup has a prospeed stealth exhaust with a centre silencer and I'd say it's pretty much perfect, no drone and pretty quiet which is great as I prefer induction noise. Pretty lucky as it was fitted by one of its previous owners. I had ktec stealth with no centre silencer on a ph1 172 and it was awful. Loud and droned like a b**ch.

monaco 172
I got a tip made up on my stealth & it made a bit of a difference,but i still get the drone nosie at 75/80mph on motorways etc.
To me it sounds like it comes from the front like fire wall part or centre section.

But i guess it doesnt help when mine is a cup with no sound deading.

View attachment 1347661 View attachment 1347662
Looks awesome that. How much did it cost? What tip did you use?

I wish I'd just bought the recessed in the first placed by liked the idea of a stealth at the Time

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Its only cost £60 & i went to a custom exhaust place,i just wanted him to cut the stealth pipe off and weld on a straight cut pipe.
I wasnt to sure at first but i like it now.

@hipwell

monaco 172
That's not bad at all.

It'd look better with a 182 trim around it though but the cut out may be a bit big for the now

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
That's not bad at all.

It'd look better with a 182 trim around it though but the cut out may be a bit big for the now

Yeah ive tried a number of different trims,rubber etc & nothing looks good or fits.So will leave it like that unless i come across anything that will do the job.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
I ditched my KTEC on my original Ph1 as it was terrible on the motorway, the drone gave me a headache 😂 I would say on my cup I have a 182 manifold with decat and silenced PMS exhaust and the 182 manifold made it considerably louder, it doesn't drone and is still quieter than the KTEC was but the manifold definitely made it louder

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
I may have to sell the ktec next year then mate & look at PMS or something like that or custom job.
@mintno1

I would recommend the PMS to anyone, it's a great exhaust and fit's perfectly, if you can get over the cost of them :smile: they don't seem to come up that often 2nd hand either. Are you on the 172 manifold still? It did make quite a difference on the PMS with the 182 manifold, I was surprised

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah mate still on the orignal manifold,i was thinking maybe its loud on motorways because its the 2.5inch system and not the 2.25inch maybe?.the sound of it is fine its just the drone on straight roads.

@mintno1

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Yeah mate still on the orignal manifold,i was thinking maybe its loud on motorways because its the 2.5inch system and not the 2.25inch maybe?.the sound of it is fine its just the drone on straight roads.
@mintno1

The drone was the reason I got rid of the KTEC, I thought I was just getting old but it was awful :smile:

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
The drone was the reason I got rid of the KTEC, I thought I was just getting old but it was awful :smile:

I know mate,i got the chop on the tailpipe to try help but didnt,i dont think you get the drone from the rear to be honest,i think maybe centre section as thats where you can actually hear it.
I might just get a custom centre section made up @mintno1

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
I know mate,i got the chop on the tailpipe to try help but didnt,i dont think you get the drone from the rear to be honest,i think maybe centre section as thats where you can actually hear it.
I might just get a custom centre section made up @mintno1
I wanted to try a silenced centre as mine was unsilenced which wasn't helping but I never managed to find one second hand, making one up would work though, could the exhaust place that did the back box for you help?

PB172,dci100,dci65
Hi. Had the same problem few years back. The k-tech stealth was fine at high rpms but otherwise was loud at cruising. Ended up on stock exhaust and cant complain. I had the version with center silencer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Hi. Had the same problem few years back. The k-tech stealth was fine at high rpms but otherwise was loud at cruising. Ended up on stock exhaust and cant complain. I had the version with center silencer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think thats the prob mate,its nice as when driving.Its just on crusing on A roads and motorways,i still dont understand how the aftermarket systems are so expensive tho.As its a pretty easy simple system on the 172.

Megane R26
We have a winner
Had a 2.25 inch pipe welded on. It sticks out by less than an inch, sits perfectly in a small recess and has made a MASSIVE difference.
No drome, none of that headache inducing resonance, night and day. Bit of rasp around 3k and more after 5, so much quieter inside the car.

This is the Supersport version, 182 manifold and decat link pipe.

Pics of it fitted once I fit my PMS carbon fibre surround.
galmnzkr.jpg

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
So looks like 2.25inch maybe the answer.I might change the centre section to that size if i can,but then the rear box is still 2.5inch,but would be a start.