ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strugglers back!! ph1 172 project! (bit of a read)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
lol, prep and prime?!

i didnt really bother, just cleaned it all up and wire brushed some of the stuborn dirt!!
like i said, i wasnt going for an amazing job, just wanted to make the inside look abit more fresh rather than the stained miss matched coloured stuff!!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
hmm though i said i was tempted to fit my decat tomorrow, im not starting to reconsider after reading threads about how awkrward it is!! Then engine will be out in the summer time and it will be a breeze to fit then!

still need to put a centre box on though as it is stupidly loud atm.

172 Hillclimb/Sprint
Liking this ..keep going mate, i am doing a phase 1 project also, well for some time now, since around October, but I just keep coming to start the write up and then thinking better of it because of how long it would take :sleepy: . Subbed to thread. :)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
it is a bit long i know, but i dont mind doing it, having other people compliment your project kinda helps a bit with motivation!! lol

28/03/2012

Didnt get much done today tbh, i was being a bit lazy!! Dug my old exhaust out that i was planning to use in the new build but the flange is a completely different size so that ideas out the window :( i had to put the rotten centre section back on becuase it was just too loud without it!! glad i didnt leave it out for the scrap men to take now!!

took a few pictures in a better light of the interior, i know its not perfect and ill probs end up going over it all sometime when i can be bothered, but for now, its fine for its purpose.

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

This is how i had to approach it thismorning, i took the bumper off to stop any paint getting on it!! think it looks rather mean tbh!!

IMG_0721.jpg

Sneeky shot of the rear beam with the bumper and exhaust out the way

IMG_0722.jpg

Rear loom in, door seals in, lights/bumper on,

IMG_0723.jpg

Got this out the garage too while searching for the exhaust!! i think ill have enough to make rear door cars out of so may give that a go tomorrow

IMG_0724.jpg

then got bored of fitting the interior back in so i set about fitting a tow strap to the front!! but i had one thing to bear in mind, i wanted to keep the hole for the OEM tow eye accessable just in case i needed to get towed by a bar!! (ie AA/RAC) . I ended up drilling a hole just above the tow hole in the cross member and nut and bolting the strap behind the cross member, bringing underneith it, and out the front.

pic

IMG_0725.jpg

Ended up making a bit of a hash of the bumper when trying to make the slot for the stap to come through :( but oh well, its a track car and all that!! :D

IMG_0726.jpg

Then these were brought out of retirement for my own protection!! :star:

IMG_0727.jpg

OMP 3" 4 point harnesses!! would have considered 5 points but they seem like a ball ache (litterally!! :p )

All fitted with the seats!! i think it looks amazing tbh, just missing a cage now!! which ive put off for now as ive yet to find a welder i can borrow!! :(

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

Ive had a bit of a problem with my harness mountings!! i tried to mount them in easy places from the existing seat/seatbelt mounts but everytime they end up slightly too close to the seat and the adjuster hits the seat and take the tenstion of the belt instead of the eyelet!! so will be addressing this tomorrow!! safety first and all that!!

I think after taking all the weight out the car, i may have to lower the rear a bit again!!

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

Another problem has cropped up with the oil pressure warning light being on, it didnt used to be on at all, even on warm idle and now its on on cold idle. This makes me thing its the switch so will steal one off my mates clio when i get a second and see if that does the trick!! lol

As usual, thanks for reading guys!!

Rb 182
Looking good mate. Thanks for the pictures of the seat mountings. Will have a look into that when i go do mines i think.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
No worries dude but like I said it would be much easier to just use the cobra slow subframes that are floating about!!

Check out JonG's track clio thread, he did a lot better job of it than I did!! Lol

Next job for me is to rip all the dash out and clean up behind and sort out behind that!! Not really looking forward to it if I'm honest lol.

Rb 182
No worries dude but like I said it would be much easier to just use the cobra slow subframes that are floating about!!

Check out JonG's track clio thread, he did a lot better job of it than I did!! Lol

Next job for me is to rip all the dash out and clean up behind and sort out behind that!! Not really looking forward to it if I'm honest lol.

I'll have a look. I've got mines in on custom sliders but i'm not really keen on them.

I do like how clean it looks once painted, might give it a bash.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
ahh i know ive been saying jonG for ages, but i actually meant Jon_r! sorry!! :(

Sorry, no pictures today, but ill take lots tomorrow to show what im working on!!

basically....the dash!!

me and a friend of mine spent the whole day ripping the dash apart! ive never removed a dash before whilst trying to keep it in one piece so this was rather difficult!!

after the dash was out we attacked the large metal frame behind the dash, but this didnt put up as much of a fight, after it was out we cut just them ends off and refit them to the car, this means the dash will loose some of the middle support but the overall framework is reduced by a lot!! We also ripped all the remainding sound deadening out and alot of the heater matrix ducting, thought after some consideration, ive decieded to keep the heater controls where they are!!

Next i set about making some small adaptations to the interior loom to simplify it, the main place of focus was the poxy cobra alarm system!! the insallation of this thing is so intrusive, so many parts of an initially simple loom as hashed together. Traced all them back and cut them, along with all the wiring for the electrics above your head.

This has basically meant that the rear loom is on one plug for each side, rather than 2 making it very easy to unplug and remove.

tomorrow i think im going to attack all the remainding wires in the car that are going nowhere, i did this in my track valver and the loom was about half the size in the end so it should make the car much simpler to work with, though its not a job for the faint hearted, one wrong snip could spell hours of fault finding when something doesnt work anymore!! lol

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
coming along nicely matey boy. How much more time have you got to work on it before you head back to Uni?

Im working away this week so no progress for me :(

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Update 11/04/2011

Sorry to anyone following, not updated this in a while because ive not been doing anything interesting or substancial recently to warrant a whole thread!!

but ive saved them up for a whole post on the dash!!

So started with the dash out, all the ducting had been removed and the dash was pretty much a bare piece of plastic

IMG_0738.jpg

i removed the metal frame that held the dash and cut the ends off and remounted them so i had something to mount the dash too!! (obviously all the sound deadening had been removed too)

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

Also made a few alterations to the loom, tucked unused plugs in, and cut some off. Moved a large amount of it behing the matrix and wired up my start pannel for testing as it was easier to do while the dash was out!! (note the retro renault keyring found in a draw from my dads old R5 :) )

IMG_0737.jpg

Cut the matrix down a bit to get it out the way!!

IMG_0749.jpg

switch pannel wiring!!

IMG_0750.jpg

measured up a mounting plate to be the size left by the hole where the stereo and centre vents went and cut it out of the boot lining!! ;)

IMG_0751.jpg

then got the carbon out and cut round the template

IMG_0752.jpg

bonded it to the plastic with the help of some weight (goold ol' OZ f1's!! lol)

IMG_0753.jpg

Cut the holes in it for the volt meter and battery cut

IMG_0754.jpg

All assembled

IMG_0755.jpg

fitted to the dash

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

also fitted a cabon plate over another hole in the dash

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

Wiring was pretty easy, made easier than spade size connections of the plug for the ignition barrel! ;)

IMG_0758.jpg

dash refitted

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

still need to find a proper poverty spec dashboard without holes for the clock or airbag but theyre not that common!! :(
and ive not wired up the battery isolator switch yet as ive not found any punch strapping to mount my rear battery!! hopefully ill get a chance to do it before i go back to uni!! lol

other neat design solutions from struggler!!

IMG_0775a.jpg

IMG_0775b.jpg

cut the end of the centre console off, drill some holes, use some cable ties to make a hazard switch mount!! :)

IMG_0774.jpg

Pop this plate out of a mk1 valver centre console, the central locking switch clips in it perfectly and it can be cable tied around the gear selector which has a handy groove almost for this application!! lol

After than i just took some pics of the car since the sun was out and the driveway was free!! lol ill link to the media thread when i post it!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Up to date pic thread!! :http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...aybe-not-56k-friendly!!&p=8601029#post8601029

i lowered the rear again as it sat quite high after i got everything out of it!!
IMG_0730.jpg

i also forgot to add that i fitted a bumper pin on one side, was going to do both
IMG_0747.jpg

HATE it, really hate it, wish i had never fitted it, its made the bumper sit slightly off and look fugly!! hoping i can get away with not doing both sides as i really dont want to drill another hole in the bumper only for it to look sh!t. this was the only side where the bumper mount had ripped off some technically the only side that really needs one!!

thanks for reading guys. Im not sure im going to get a chance to do anymore mods before i go back to uni on saturday so this maybe your lot for now!! :(

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
haha cheers dude, ye i decieded that this one was going to be a bit tidier!!

ive just ordered a new top dash from a poverty spec clio so the dash is going to be completely finished.

however im moved back to university now so no more work is going to be happening until the summer months!! :(

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Update needed!

Thanks for that dude!!

Update time!! 26/06/2012

So im back from university for the whole summer so i think i should really finish this project now!! lol

I have one very large problem with this project. And that is that it's being the space. This project is being undertaken on my driveway at my parents house. Though theyre very giving with letting me leave the car here, but with the nice weather and my dads classic car in the garage, and my parents wanting to use their driveway, it has to stay rolling a lot of the time!! so for the next week or so im only going to be tackling small jobs.

First job when im back, fit my manual winders!! me and dan (clio_squeak) went to fit the manual winders that i was sent from a member on here!! shamefully we tried for a long time to fit them on the wrong sides :( but eventually we got them on. i then removed the entire door loom and cut it down to just the two wires for the lock solenoid!

S5031062.jpg

much tidier i think!!

i then thought it would be a good idea to tackle the scuttle pannel. After removing the air conditioning there is a huge amount of junk under the scuttle doing nothing!!

Southend-on-Sea-20120625-00260.jpg

my point explained!

so i smashed most of it out, i tried to be as careful as i could, but i sweat this stuff is magical!! seems to not be able to come out in one piece, but half the screws to take it apart are around the back unreachable!! madness!!

S5031055.jpg

got it all out in the end though!!

I went further taking all the washer bottle out and the wiper arms out!

S5031057.jpg

i think i may have damaged the wiper mech slightly as its stripped all the splines off! ill bolt the wiper on slightly tighter when i remantle it and hope it stays nicely!

clean washer bottle :D
S5031059.jpg

Empty scuttle!

S5031054.jpg

S5031053.jpg

S5031052.jpg

i then scrapped all the tar out!! (god i hate doing this again!!). The main reason i did this is because ive heard there is a design flaw where water can sit under the tar in a certain place and begin to rot the sills

S5031058.jpg

Put it all back together and packed up for the day! i didnt bother putting the wipers back on as i knew i may need to take them off again to get a blower in!!

S5031063.jpg

Massive thanks to dan (clio_squeak) for letting me use his poverty spec blower! which will hopefully be going in tomorrow all being well!! and that will be the scuttle sorted!!

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
I had no choice you held me to randsom lol

jokin lol good update dude now crack on. If you dont get your finished before mine i will be dissappointed!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
So chris, what were you planning on doing if yours had all come out in one piece? you would still not have had any heating!!

ollie told me about yours you plonker!! why didnt you just stop as soon as you realised it wasnt going to come out!!

and just to rub it in..... I have heating in mine again!! :D

Update 26/06/2012

since these updates are coming daily, theyre not that big!! lol

First i gave the scuttle a lick of paint..

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

im hopeless with a paint brush, it looks truely shocking in person! but it protects under the scuttle from any rust so i spose it serves its purpose!

IMG_0808.jpg

Taped all my loom up to make it look a bit prettier as i was waiting for the paint to dry

IMG_0809.jpg

And this is the poverty spec blower clio_squeak gave me, thanks again dude!! :)

IMG_0811.jpg

all cleaned up!!

IMG_0812.jpg

and just a quick comparison picture of the new set up compared to the old setup

looks quite a bit tidied now! :)

As usual, thankyou for reading and ill try to make the upcoming updates slightly more intersting! :)

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
That will be a grand please jokes

Glad its being put to use I am probably going to regret not running one but mine is a fair weather car lol.

Keep the updates coming. With u being a bum ('student') u shud be finished before me do chop chop as I only have 1 month left!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
you have a lot more money and space than i do!! i need to wait until the weekend has passed and then ill be putting all the track on and taking the engine out!!

so until then im just wafting really!!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Tiny update because ive been lazy!

fitted my rear battery as its another small job to tick off my list before the weekend gets done, i fitted my rear battery and kill switch.

IMG_0816.jpg

couldnt see the point of one of those fancy aluminium battery holders, i just used some punch strap and bolted it through the floor!
Not the prettiest of solutions but it works perfectly! It also had to go under the drivers side. i would have liked to put it under the passenger side but i fit the passenger seat back from the driver to give a better view.

IMG_0817.jpg

had some nice pretty dressing to put over it all to neaten it up!

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

Then run it through the scuttle where the alarm wiring used to go and straight into the fuse box! (wanted to make it look neat)
inside the fuse box theres a distributer block to the two wires that usually go to the battery so i could get rid of all of that mess!!

IMG_0820.jpg

layed the ecu down (havnt got round to fitting it down properly yet but i shall) and this is how my engine bay looks!!

i measured my throttle body and the outer diameter is around 70mm so ive ordered a 45degree bend so i can get the air filter sitting in a nice place. and a breather to go on the icv!

So all i have to do is help my dad get his classic car out the garage this weekend and then back to bed for the rest of the summer and i can finally leave my car in an undrivable state for a few weeks!!

but in the mean time, i took this picture because ive been obsessed with the rear height either side not being even. its only once i look at this picture i start to think i may have issues!!
IMG_0815-1.jpg

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
youre a dick chris, thatll turn me into a nervous wreck for at least the next week!!

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
Passenger does look higher Mate U want to see mine with the adjusters in there is loads of room

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
well theyre close enough so theyre going to stay like that! the passenger side adjuster is as low as itll go so unless i take the adjuster out, it wont get any lower! :(

i think im going to waste tomorrow trying to get the exhaust hanger off and maybe fitting the rear braided lines!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Haha sorry dude!! update is a bit over due, but seeing as this thread isnt getting much love, i havnt felt under too much pressure!!

update 04/07/2012

So was still wafting for things to do to occupy the weekend. so i decieded to finish the rear end off once and for all!!

this involved fitting braided lines, and painting the callipers! i had already done them silver, but i changed my mind and wanted them yellow!! :D
So i high tailed it over to see clio_squeak to grab a break spanner!! and somehow got roped into helping him fit suspension, but hey ho its all fun and games!

IMG_0825-1.jpg

IMG_0824-1.jpg

Painted rear callipers! also got a jet wash out and blasted the muck off the rear arches!

IMG_0842.jpg

Pick of the brake lines fitted... most of the bolts were fine, one sadly really didnt want to shift! and after the spanner slipped a few times and some colourful language from myself i got some mole grips on it, and then it played ball! i fitted them all back together, putting the ruined line back on with mole grips (i know this isnt idea, but it theoretically shouldnt need to be undone again, and if it does leak i shall just change the brake line!)

While i was at it, i finally sorted the rear exhaust hanger.....kind of!!

IMG_0826-1.jpg

Two of the bolts snapped, and one snapped the captive nut off the otherside. And shock horror, the one that was spinning was the one that i couldnt get to the other side of, so out came the angle grider and that is an extra job for the custom exhaust shop! lol

IMG_0827-1.jpg

the remains!

Snap of my front brakes painted ready to be fitted with braided lines!
IMG_0830.jpg

I then tidied up the garage ready for the crane to be collected from my mates! (cranes in there now, this update is a little out of date! lol).
IMG_0828-1.jpg

Then today i decieded since i was going to have very little room to get down the sides of the car when its down the drive, i would attempt to loosen as much as i could, and remove some bits to make life easier!! (i had left the front brakes off for the time being). It slowly turned out that though original is good, suspension parts that have not been unbolted for 10+ years put up a hell of a fight!! This prompted an afternoon long battle with the wishbones trying to get them out of the hubs! no matter what i did, how hard i hit, they just wouldnt move! My mate then came to help and while trying to hit it with the bolt move of the way on the threads, the bolt managed to jump down a thread and wreck the shaft!! at this point we decieded that the shaft was dead so we gave it full on hell with the hammer until it surrendered!!

IMG_0832.jpg

the damage

the spines on the shaft had actually swolen slightly due to corrosion! thankfull my mate had a spare set of ph1 shafts and i had some bits so we arranged a swap. since this point was reached we decieded to simply drain the box and remove both the shafts, saving me more jobs later!

IMG_0833.jpg

Both discs were obviously also removed and the waste was left out for the random odds with bells that drive around taking scrap metal!!

finally a couple of my mates showed up and we rolled the car out into the road, did a 3 point turn, and rolled it down to the end of my drive ready to be properly taken apart! As the car currently stands is has no brakes (other than handbrake). no front discs or callipers, no shafts.

but on a plus side, the track arms and ends both looked brand new so they wont be getting changed!! saves me about £50 overall!! so jobs for tomorrow, weather permitting, will be removing the entire subframe assembly to be cleaned, painted, and polybushed!

Also massive thanks to cliosports auto-save function, i wrote all of this before my internet decieded to sh!t itself and clear it all!! i was fuming until i saw the recover autosaved text! :star:

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Update 06/07/2012

Well, the weekend that i had to keep rolling for has past and ive been busy!! ill let the photos do the talking for most of this and i did get slightly carried away with the snapping, so sorry about that!!

First job was to get the track off!!

last left the car like this
IMG_0843.jpg

within a few minutes the front was off
IMG_0845.jpg

then in the air
IMG_0846.jpg

took the hubs off, hacked the remainding powersteering pipes off and dropped the subframe
IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

Gave the rad a lick of paint to make it all fresh!
IMG_0850.jpg

put the bumper pack on to get it out the way
IMG_0851.jpg

Stripped everything off the subframe
IMG_0852.jpg

Cleaned the subframe
IMG_0857.jpg

Its all about bright coloured subframes
IMG_0863.jpg

Managed the get the arms off and screwed them onto a non-sport steering rack
IMG_0853.jpg

ARB
IMG_0854.jpg

Painted (just the ends lol)
IMG_0864.jpg

Everything else lol
IMG_0855.jpg

bits painted
IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

scrap! lol
IMG_0856.jpg

Then my mate dropped my engine crane off
IMG_0865.jpg

So out came the crane!
IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

Ancillaries and engine mounts
IMG_0904.jpg

Half way
IMG_0905.jpg

Mate ollie tinkering with the load leveler
IMG_0907.jpg

Standard engine out picture (im sad i know)
IMG_0908.jpg

Flying F4R
IMG_0909.jpg

Empty bay
IMG_0910.jpg

Engine on the stand (i do not like those stands)
IMG_0911.jpg

RS linlet
IMG_0914.jpg

difference in bore
IMG_0916.jpg

Stripped a lot of cam covers and water pumps, inlets off etc
IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

Are the linlet bores meant to look like this?
IMG_0919.jpg

all the fluids that have come out!! also have a drain tray still full! :(
IMG_0921.jpg

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
Good update mate n trust me the engine will b fine I had the heavier f7r on that.
P.s your inlets are meant to look like that

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Tbh, i just wanted to have a clean and painted engine/bay.
also wanted to inspect various aspects of the engine to deciede what needed changing, and reduce the loom as there are a lot of unused plugs now that ive removed PAS,AC etc

and tbh, just for fun! im sure a lot of people will say thats stupid but i have quite a while before im insuring the car, so why not! :D

not too much done today, the intermitent rain has been a real pain!

i cleaned my engine bay with a lot of degreaser! it was filthy! lol

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

i then needed to help my mate fit an upper inlet, but when that was done the sun had come out so i decieded to get the paint brushes out and get to work!!

ill get some pics tomorrow, but i painted my driveshafts (my mate dropped off the replacement ones today) and steering rack.
then packed up for the day!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You thought about removing the ABS pump? Its pretty easy to do and makes the bay look so much simpler!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
ive thought a lot about it tbh,

but this would mean an new cup master cylinder,
changing all the brake lines,
and adding a bias valve as iirc, the abs pump controls the front/rear distribution? (not 100% on that one though)

i was planning on leaving it in for now, and perhaps removing it at a later stage if i want and when monies allow!
the budget of the car has already flown over expected with littler expenditures here and there!! lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I bought all the bits for £150 and it will take no longer than an afternoon to fit. We just did it on my mates car.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Im going to see how i get on with it over the winter, if im sick of it/dont use it by the time engines next out, ill bin it! its going to be driven on the road sometimes so safety is a concern.

Another (boring) update!

ones again, pics arent that interesting because the jobs im doing arnt very interesting! but heading to renault tomorrow afternoon to pick up some service bits!

Painted bits
IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

Gerbox after the first coat of hammerite
IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

after a coat of spray just for finish
IMG_0935.jpg

hmm could do with more more paint maybe!! hopefully ill have some spare! lol
also removed the end cap for painting!

Engine degreased and jetted off!!
IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

im sure many people will think its a terrible idea but i masked all the holes up so it should be fine!

other bits cleaned waiting to be painted
IMG_0939.jpg