ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange stuttering

Hi, my 182 has started doing something very strange and I wondered if anyone has experienced this, or knows what could be causing it.

When driving at low revs (1000rpm up to approx 2300rpm), in a high gear e.g 3rd, 4th, 5th and accelerator pedal pressed the car stutters and splutters loads (like a rapid missfiring) until it clears its throat again. When it gets above 2300rpm ish, the issue starts to disappear and the car pulls very well beyond this up to the red line).

When this issue happens, it's so bad that the car does not want to accelerate at all as it is missfiring/spluttering so much.

I've swapped out the coilpack with a new one and it hasn't fixed it, also the spark plugs are new (correct NGK ones). I haven't changed the leads though - could it be these causing it?

I did also think it could be a lambda, but the issue feels more ignition related, which is why i'm pointing the finger at the ignition leads. I am also not ruling out the throttle position sensor.

Any input or wisdom would be appreciated though.

thanks

Hi, my 182 has started doing something very strange and I wondered if anyone has experienced this, or knows what could be causing it.

When driving at low revs (1000rpm up to approx 2300rpm), in a high gear e.g 3rd, 4th, 5th and accelerator pedal pressed the car stutters and splutters loads (like a rapid missfiring) until it clears its throat again. When it gets above 2300rpm ish, the issue starts to disappear and the car pulls very well beyond this up to the red line).

When this issue happens, it's so bad that the car does not want to accelerate at all as it is missfiring/spluttering so much.

I've swapped out the coilpack with a new one and it hasn't fixed it, also the spark plugs are new (correct NGK ones). I haven't changed the leads though - could it be these causing it?

I did also think it could be a lambda, but the issue feels more ignition related, which is why i'm pointing the finger at the ignition leads. I am also not ruling out the throttle position sensor.

Any input or wisdom would be appreciated though.

thanks
Good chance its the leads

cheers mate, I ordered some replacement leads last night from renparts and I'll fit them on Friday. Fingers crossed as I hate having to chuck different parts at the car to solve a random issue - gets expensive.

cheers, I'll try the leads tomorrow and if I have no luck with that I'll need to get it looked at. I do have a bluetooth code reader but it shows no faults when I run a scan (maybe the live readings would give a clue what the problem is but I don't understand them).

clio 172
Could be the air temp sensor on the top inlet manifold,changed mine as felt like it was just holding back some,it cured the problem and only cost a tenner,thx

Ok thanks, I had a look at this sensor recently and the physical condition looked ok but it could be a possible cause of my running issues. Glad it sorted the problems on yours