ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stopping PAS fluid boiling/spitting out resevoir

Clio,Rush,180SX,205
Just returned from day at Cadwell with my Ph2 172, first day out since buying it a couple of weeks ago to replace my Mi 205 (without PAS), day ended at about 14:30 by the PAS deciding that it had had enough, initially just spitting out the resevoir cap, but eventually either the pump or a hose has let go. Obviously not keen on running flat out. Mate also having same issue in his Williams with it spitting out the breather on the resevoir, and another guy in a 172.

Just trawled the numerous threads on 'remove' vs 'not remove' arguments.

Personally I think best bet is to underdrive it, does anyone sell underdrive pulleys for the 172 ? not much mention of them on here.

Golf GTD Mk7
Check out Bigash's thread. Options are to either add a larger reservoir to disperse heat better, do fewer laps, or get a cooler for it.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Me and fletch had this problem at Doni. Let us know how you get on pal.

Out of curiosity, how many laps is this after? Or are we talking a solid day of abuse?

Seen a few of these threads pop up recently. I think Adam was looking at the possibility of retrofitting a cooling system.

182cup & 172 racecar
has the fluid EVER been changed 99% of road cars never have it replaced until the pump explodes LOL
Have agree with this, it's something people never look at or even consider.

Seen lots of other makes of cars recently with an extra pipe that runs in front of the radiator.

HBT 172 Cup
My Pas was very noisy and genereally crap, was positive the pump was knackered. So i drained the fluid (which wasnt far off being black), refilled, and the pump was whisper quiet :) Wont stop it from exploding on track though. If it plays up i would be inclided to get a mettalic reservoir with say a 1L capacity as has been proven to work on other cars.

HBT 172 Cup
I didnt drain mine on purpose, ii had to swap the high pressure pipe in front of the return pipe so just pulled the pipe off the low pressure retrun on the pipe, its not a full drain by any means but a lot of fluid comes out.

Clio,Rush,180SX,205
Seen lots of other makes of cars recently with an extra pipe that runs in front of the radiator.

Yes I've seen this aswell, sometimes with fin bits on the metallic outer of the pipe like on a Primera.

I've no idea when the PAS fluid was last changed, only had the car a couple of weeks and I'm afraid changing the PAS fluid wasn't on my list of things to do before the trackday, either way most of it is now either all over my engine or all over the trailer so it'll now have to be fed some new stuff...

Regards my intention to go for a bigger pulley to slow it down, after looking at pics of the pulley arrangement in this thread http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...ng-rid-of-power-steering&highlight=remove+PAS there is no room to fit one. So, unless a smaller crank pulley is made aswell (which Im guessing is a harmonic balancer on this engine) it's an all round no go option. So a cooler and maybe a bigger reservoir are now the only way to limit the heat build-up unless I go for removal or electric assistance.

I would give it some fresh fluid mate and see how that goes and then if not then try the larger tank, we had the same issue on my car and that had fresh fluid so we knew it couldn't be that. We tried out the new tank at Donington and it worked really well :) it has got a built in aerator which didn't let a drop out! If for some reason that doesn't work then someone posted on my thread that drift works sells a PAS cooler and I think it was only about £65 so not too expensive

182cup & 172 racecar
I was changing a speedo cable the other day on a Tigra (b**ch of a job) and I was surprised, that had a small loop of pipe along the front for the PS to cool it down.

Golf GTD Mk7
I would give it some fresh fluid mate and see how that goes and then if not then try the larger tank, we had the same issue on my car and that had fresh fluid so we knew it couldn't be that. We tried out the new tank at Donington and it worked really well :) it has got a built in aerator which didn't let a drop out! If for some reason that doesn't work then someone posted on my thread that drift works sells a PAS cooler and I think it was only about £65 so not too expensive

Don't remember you mentioning that in your thread. how's that work then :)

It has a pipe outlet from the top of the cap very similar concept to oil breather and then a pipe which would take any fluid away from anything it could harm :) Picture below, please excuse the mechanic but its the only photo I have which shows the new tank lol ;)
e65fbac3.jpg

Clio,Rush,180SX,205
someone posted on my thread that drift works sells a PAS cooler and I think it was only about £65 so not too expensive

That was me ;) although I'm probably going to do it by using a 2nd hand oil cooler off everyones favourite auction site and use various other bits I have kicking around. A tank with a more manly breather might be a good bet aswell.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I took my camera to take lots of pics but forgot all about it and just took a couple with my phone before Al took me too the station !!

182cup & 172 racecar
Did you not get any video Tony ? what are you going back for on the 10th ?

No, so busy tidying the workshop and talking, that it was all over.

Just going back for a final map as we have now changed the air filter, so it needs a little tweek.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I've never had any problems with power steering fluid on my 172. I've done 15 trackdays without any problems. I can jump in the car any time and just drive it like its stolen.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
No, so busy tidying the workshop and talking, that it was all over.

Just going back for a final map as we have now changed the air filter, so it needs a little tweek.

The same as James's filter ? I thought that the Reverie box helped with torque ?

BMW 535d
That ginga is bloody alright from that side view. Any more?

And I would use a higher boiling point brake fluid like AP. Demon tweeks sell it but are a tad expensive iirc

Large capacity alloy PAS tank with deaireator is £130 + VAT, includes bleed off tube and is a direct replacement onto standard hoses (you just need to shorten one slightly to account for the deeper res height) . Our grid girl is not included I'm afriad ;)