ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stophs flamered turbo build

Clio 172 turbo
The last silencer has arrived just need to find time to build the exhaust now.
71EC0F71-1543-4646-97AA-3DEB08BB82A1.jpg

886F104D-842A-445E-BCAF-4FF7524535EE.jpg

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
Thanks to dan@sjm I now have a gt3071 turbo, I have started ordering parts to make my new manifold. I also have a epas conversion I just need to get a new aux belt. I will also be deleting the abs which should give me enough room for the turbo View attachment 141701
View attachment 141702
A very nice project build mate:up:I really have enjoyed reading your journey with your Clio this early morning:smile:But....I think that the turbo choice "gt3071" that you have made is going to be a lag monster and that's coming from experience....I ran one on my 2.0 litre Subaru which has AVCS heads a free flowing turbo back exhaust and the lag that I was getting was out of this world:fearscream:,it completely ruined my car and was quickly sold on for a GT2871R turbo which was a match made in heaven with the 2.0 litre Scooby.Saying that the gt30 had a good top end but I didn't fancy waiting a day for the turbo to get on song,the fact that you do track days I would have thought that you would of preferred a more responsive turbo that spools up earlier but still has a hard hitting mid/top range?Just my two cents:cool:.Keep the updates coming...SJ.

Clio 172 turbo
A very nice project build mate:up:I really have enjoyed reading your journey with your Clio this early morning:smile:But....I think that the turbo choice "gt3071" that you have made is going to be a lag monster and that's coming from experience....I ran one on my 2.0 litre Subaru which has AVCS heads a free flowing turbo back exhaust and the lag that I was getting was out of this world:fearscream:,it completely ruined my car and was quickly sold on for a GT2871R turbo which was a match made in heaven with the 2.0 litre Scooby.Saying that the gt30 had a good top end but I didn't fancy waiting a day for the turbo to get on song,the fact that you do track days I would have thought that you would of preferred a more responsive turbo that spools up earlier but still has a hard hitting mid/top range?Just my two cents:cool:.Keep the updates coming...SJ.

Cheers[emoji38] the gt30 turbo came has a gt28 exhaust housing so the exhaust side so spool shouldn't be that bad,but I know I will get turbo lag. on a 1.8t it was making boost at 3800

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
LOL Yeah the smaller exhaust housing should aid with spool up a little...but as the physics show:wink:you should fit the smallest turbo for your desired top power level.Just make sure your in the right gear with your right foot planted with the gt30,as you should know mate big turbos need feeding:up:.SJ.

Clio 172 turbo
Took the car to Bedford at the weekend it was amazing fun. The car was spot on had a few little issues mainly boost hoses popping of every lap and I cooked the brake fluid and killed the discs, power steering fluid boiled. New discs have been ordered i have loads of racing blue fluid ready to use the car will be off the road for a few weeks having the new turbo fitted for April and the epas rack.

I'll upload some videos once I get the GoPro onto the computer.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456671285.409602.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456671294.893600.jpg

Clio 172 turbo
So we had a rolling road day at work today (Tsr performance ) so it was rude not to put the Clio on. The car made 300bhp and 326lbft which is less than it made at mtec. Had a couple issues with getting it to grip in the rollers and I was losing boost in higher rpm. But was a good day
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458429582.092070.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458429592.213722.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458429599.901166.jpg

Clio 172 turbo
Looking and going well now then! Good work

Is that an arch roller I can see in you're earlier posts? Is it for sale??????

Cheers yea been awesome really happy with the car. Yes that is an arch roller but isn't forsale sorry more than welcome to pop down and use it one weekend

This makes me want to boost my flamer sooo bad. Looks lovely.

Do it [emoji48] they are so much fun

Mint!

I love flamers and this is even more special!

Cheers I just need to clean the body work up and sort the inside.

Countryman JCW
Really come together now, good work!

When's it's next outing? Any plans to work around fluid boiling issue?

Clio 172 turbo
Really come together now, good work!

When's it's next outing? Any plans to work around fluid boiling issue?

The next outing will be at castle Combe for the action day I got the car into the top 25 cars.

For the brake issue I will be changing all of the fluid and I will be moving the turbo over the gearbox so will no longer be next to the brake lines

Countryman JCW
The next outing will be at castle Combe for the action day I got the car into the top 25 cars.

For the brake issue I will be changing all of the fluid and I will be moving the turbo over the gearbox so will no longer be next to the brake lines
What does getting the car into the top 25 mean? And what did you do to achieve that?

Is that using the manifold pictured further up? Sounds great, I'll look forward to the pictures!

Clio 172 turbo
What does getting the car into the top 25 mean? And what did you do to achieve that?

Is that using the manifold pictured further up? Sounds great, I'll look forward to the pictures!

I'm not that sure what it means [emoji23] they did a competition on Facebook for the most likes on a photo gets into the top 25 cars for the show.

Yea the manifold above that I'm making I still need to finish and hopefully fit over the bank holiday weekend

Clio 172 turbo
Did you say this was your daily? what clutch is in it and how is it to use as a daily car?
Yea it's my daily I had been ever since its been built I do have an Audi a2 to drive now I have a new job as it's further away. I'm using a full helix paddle clutch and it's a c**t to drive daily but I love it

Clio 172 turbo
Update time. I've been working flat out on the car to be ready for Combe today. I decided the car needs to become a proper track car now. So the interior is gone.

I removed the power steering and added epas
Removed all of the interior and painted inside white
24c406158f3b918d8579b31222605d6b.jpg
8ed85afbfbbe724b375e195a7d105498.jpg
18489657f764357b81c6e0c773d82fba.jpg
c5858058bbc4b58f2dba7b75ab7e6c7e.jpg
66d0c271c0e69752ff2d791c1283f044.jpg
989d8bdd22176e9baac638bc8b2e00e9.jpg
693e8efca7237803ce1aa75c565e0aeb.jpg