ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stone chip repair (lots of pics)

Finally renault had my chip stick pen arrive today.

My bonnet is littered with stone chips, The previous owner was a motorway driver i think.

So i set about trying to repair some of the chips

chips9.jpg

chips10.jpg

This is more of an experiment than anything else. Im no expert by any means, But like the Detailing side of cleaning cars.

Being only young i dont have money to spend on the most expensive items, But ive got a small arsenal of Autoglym products... I plan to fill just some of the bigger chips to start off with and see how it turns out.

List of products used:
Halfords car wash, Industial alcohol, ear buds for cleaning, Sanding pen, 3000 and 1500 sand paper soaked in soapy water over night., Scratch x, Super Resin Polish and Poorboys blue paste wax.

Work Area

chips2.jpg

the pack came with paint and laquer.

chips4.jpg

chips20.jpg

chips21.jpg

I parked my car in the shade to cool the bonnet down.

Washed with cold water twice (no contact), Just spraying water.

Then washed the bonnet and front wings twice with Halfords car wash. And dried.

I cleaned the stone chips out with Industrial Alcohol. (think it may be the same as Isopropyl)

chips22.jpg

Then using a home made sanding pencil. Made by glueing a cirlce of 1500 wet n dry paper to the back of a pencil.

chips7.jpg

Sanded edges of chips.

chips26.jpg

Shook the paint up and applied first time with a c0cktail stick. Then used the standard brush after to create a dome of paint.

chips31.jpg

chips32.jpg

chips45.jpg

chips46.jpg

Paint seemed to be sinking as it dried so i applied more.

chips36.jpg

Left to dry for 20 mins as said in instructions.

Paint pen had some type of mop on top, Instructions told me to wet this after 10 mins and go over the fresh paint.

Then apply a layer of laquer. (I only did this for the first few, after that i didnt bother as i dont think its needed.

The next day i attacked the rest of the paint.

Some paint that i bobbled instead of applying thin layers came straight off.. (lesson learnt)

I retouched the paint chips that didnt work using thin layers with drying time in between, then a final 24 hours of drying before sanding.

chips210.jpg

chips24-1.jpg

Drivers door where some little b*****d threw an egg and chipped the paint: (will get finished picks up when i sand down)
DSCF4377.jpg

Wetsanding:

chips219-1.jpg

chips217.jpg

Wetsanding didnt take as long as i thought it would. Still a good hour or two, but it flew by.

I just was very carefull to keep the paper flat, and also use plenty of soapy water out of the spray bottle as lube.

After sanding and polishing using: Scratch X >>> SRP >>> Poorboys blue paste wax

Afters: (was getting dark so they dont look too shiney)

DSCF4379.jpg

DSCF4381.jpg

chips221.jpg

Overall im happy with the result, there are still a few chips where the paint didnt stick so sanded straight off. These have been re touched and will be sanded soon.

I will get Some more final pics when i next clean the car and sand the drivers door out.

Great effort, must have taken some time! I'd be too scared to do that incase I made it worse!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Looks like a good result there mate :) Some fcukin big stone chips there , eh .

Cheers for the comments :)

Yeah there was some killer chips in the paint, just stood out really bad from the black.

Glad most of them are gone now, still going to take abit more work thought.

And yeah lol it was a bit scary wetsanding. But 3000 grit is quite light so it wasnt too bad.

kic

former 1.2 16v, now corsa
i thought 1500 was smoothe, 3000 grit must be like bog roll lol

"Navy" N17 TWO
I know from doing that with a few chips "here & there" that it's a slow process.
Great job, a LOT of time and effort in that! :)

Fancy doing my front bumper? lol