ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stinking Smell

"Navy" N17 TWO
I just picked the car up from having the 70k/10 year belt change yesterday and it stinks of rotten eggs when driving it :dead:

Smell goes away with the aircon on after a run on the motorway but comes back again

Now what's wrong?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Anyone able to shed some light?

Could it be sheer coincidence or has someone potentialy made a balls of the timing?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Rotten eggs is the cat smelling. It gets red hot on a motorway run hence why it stops smelling.

I can't say of its timing related or not as I wash. Are for a living so I'm not intelligent enough.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Just trying to eliminate possibilities
First thing K-Tec asked me when I rang them was if the timing had been adjusted latley

It's got a K-Tec Supersport recessed & K-Tec sport cat if it makes any difference too

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Is it miss firing or not running right? It's easy to blame timing over the phone without seeing the car.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Not misfiring - seems to be a little noisy on idle but that could be in my head.
Would need to hear a healthy 1*2 engine to compare

"Navy" N17 TWO
Not misfiring - seems to be a little noisy on idle but that could be in my head.
Would need to hear a healthy 1*2 engine to compare

Here's a healthy engine

[video=youtube_share;KDeti0tN1Sc]http://youtu.be/KDeti0tN1Sc[/video]

And mine at the moment

[video=youtube_share;a4LldsENmVA]http://youtu.be/a4LldsENmVA[/video]

"Navy" N17 TWO
Any opinions welcome, Renault now say the dephaser needs done, when I had asked them to check the condition of it while the belts were being replaced.

Their mechanic claims the condition of the dephaser can't be diagnosed

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
That dephaser is f**ked. The mechanic should've known that when he drove it in to the workshop

I'd be inclined to suggest that the 'mechanic' in question needs a change of career because vehicle diagnostics are not his thing!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Their mechanic claims the condition of the dephaser can't be diagnosed

Tell him to read the f**king manual then because there's an entire page devoted to just that!

There's no way the timing will be right or would've been right when manually rolling the pulleys to check with that dephaser. Improper job done I'd say.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Tell him to read the f**king manual then because there's an entire page devoted to just that!

There's no way the timing will be right or would've been right when manually rolling the pulleys to check with that dephaser. Improper job done I'd say.

Just home from collecting the car - it's that quiet on idle I thought I had stalled it sitting in traffic!

All normality has been restored and I actually like driving it again :)