ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sticking revs? Not throttle bod. Video

late 2003 172cup

If you watch the video, you will see if I tap throttle. The revs stick for few seconds. Pain when I am going slow thru town/parking/ creeping down my drive early hours.
It also flat/hesitates when I drive just over 2k ( I press throttle and it's flat, then I get to 2500rpm and over all is ok.) it must be something silly? Just asking around to see if anyone has had same problem.
If I Rev it properly it's fine.
Excuse the messy carpet. Using it a bit as my new car has been delayed twice now.

Thanks in advance

late 2003 172cup
I wonder if it's my maf sensor not sealed in its hole proper? I know when that's out it revs high, but then it would idle higher if that was an issue surely?. I have cleaned the throttle body.

late 2003 172cup
Well on a positive note I fitted a boost gauge and the turbo is good. 10 psi holds all way to redline, 14/15/17 psi too. Really impressed.
Will go see my rentech mate at some point and try a new pedal.
Thanks anyway

HBT 172 Cup
What ECU is it on? I've had similar issues in the past, from experience id be inclined to say it is part of the calibration that needs tweeking (slow idle decay), not a mehcanical/electrical fault / vac leak.

late 2003 172cup
Gen 90 buddy, to be honest it could be that coz it's done it since ktec did update on my car thru Internet powers. So you could be right. I will ring sean tomorrow and ask. Quite funny as my car was on version 20 odd and the latest update was on 70 odd. Mine was well behind. Lol

HBT 172 Cup
I guarantee that will be your issue bud, it needs tweaking :smile: . I had to take mine back for exactly the same issue.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I love how the fact that it's turbocharged isn't mentioned until post 4! (I can't hear if it's making whoosh noises in the video as I've got the sound down)

Agree, it's probably map related. I'd rather s**t razorblades than let K-tec map my car but that's up to you.

late 2003 172cup
Mate the car is or was perfect before update. Been mapped by ktec from the start. Let's just say chip can vouch for how quick the car is. ;) it's just a glitch in the update I guess.
I am 36 this year, been in a few/ driven a few turbo cars. And apart from my glitch the car is faultless in the drive.
Here is a video before problem. 3rd gear from 30mph. See where turbo pulls from on Rev counter. I was only running low boost when filmed.

late 2003 172cup
I think it's Prob the only car I will own and it has too much go. But I only run it on low boost as first few gears at a higher boost just break traction. (Lower boost is same but more controlled) Even with the quaiffe diff. Would Prob be best with a better boost controller? Ecu mapped to bring more boost as you progress thru gears?
I would say anyone that converts a Clio with low boost kit is Prob best to buy a diff rather than go 280-300bhp. It's enough. Mine on 11-12psi ran 263 bhp at a norwich RR. Can run 25psi. ( recorded 336bhp and 398 torque on ktecs running 18/19psi in their rollers but I hear people say they read high?? )
I can tell you that the car reminds me of the time I went on the back of an R1 bike years ago, felt the power when the throttle was let off? When you fly forward? ( near head butted the window screen my first passenger ride lol) I think it coz you expect quick and brace yourself. Then the feeling is halfed? Funny feeling. It's deffo nippy tho. And last week I did 100 miles on 1/4 tank. Very proud lol.
04d195d76feb550d11ebc49e2c2bd39d.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Love the standard look. I've only driven one for a short period and it felt awesome. Money no object I'd be tempted to do mine.

late 2003 172cup
Honestly, go see andy @ Clio turbo seems a cheap do, my ecu/turbo/diff cost same as his fitted conversion and that crazy! And to be honest Prob as quick as mine in low boost. ;)
In the 6k miles I have done since I bought, I broke the quaife ( booted it in 2nd on a very bumpy road with 3 other people in the car, a lot of strain and not clever)
Had a throttle body fail.
And had fuel pipe come off the pump in tank.

I always expect it to break but it's doing well so far. Lol
I can't believe the diff gave way before the driveshafts and gearbox lol. Neither could quaiffe .

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Must have been trying hard, lol. Yeah I can't see me doing the upgrade to mine. I allways thought it would take the Clio out of Clio with a turbo attached.

late 2003 172cup
You be suprised mate, still goes round bends. Still feels good. Still has great brakes. Love every drive in it. Get sad towards the end of my journey lol.