ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sticking noise from the rear?

Clio 197
Right so this morning going to work, I get a sound from the rear which is a lot like when you have something stuck to your tyre and makes a flapping sound along with being somewhat metallic. This was then followed by a burning smell whenever the car was stationary. From a quick search online i've read it may be sticking rear calipers, but I don't think that's the case as the rear hubs/wheels were not too hot to touch, only slightly warm.

I'm thinking it could be the backbox exhaust mounts perishing and hitting the diffuser, also causing the burning smell or something stuck in the tyres which is then rubbing on the wheel arch liners. I'll be taking the wheels off tomorrow, inspecting the tyres and making sure all the discs are free to spin without any resistance and also taking off the diffuser to check the exhaust mounts.

Anything else I can check/any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Clio 197
Get the rear jacked up and take the hand brake off and spin the wheels to see if they're fouling anything??
That's the plan for tomorrow. The car was fine yesterday and now it's being a moody little b**ch, really does my head in sometimes.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Its part and parcel of RenaultSport ownership unfortunately! Its that very rare occasion that it all works that makes it worth while!

Clio 197
Its part and parcel of RenaultSport ownership unfortunately! Its that very rare occasion that it all works that makes it worth while!
Very true! Need to get it out for a good run. I'll report back with some good news hopefully tomorrow.

Clio 197
Ok so quick update. Wheels and diffuser were off this morning and I did find some debris between the rear pads and discs which was cleared out. Exhaust hangers were fine too. So I then took the car out for a spin and heard a similar sound to that from yesterday but was originating from the front and the burning smell was still there. Bingo! It must have been the rubber adhesive shims I had fitted to the front pads to stop them squealing. I'm guessing they've come loose as it's more of a flapping sound now. The burning smell appears to be the pads constantly rubbing against the discs.

It's not bad enough to affect the pedal feel, smoke or make the front wheels excessively hot but it's going to the garage tomorrow to see what they can do. The thing is though they've reduced the brake squealing about 70% so I don't want to have to take them off. But i'll see what happens tomorrow.