ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering rack bushes worn?

2005 Clio 182 FF
Hi, I have a 2005 182 full fat, when I hit a speed bump, accelerate , decelerate , turn the wheel I get a kind of cracking noise.

I've done engine mounts and new top mounts.

All I'm left with is arb and steering rack bushes. I'm thinking the rack bushes could be on the way out?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't have thought a steering rack would make cracking noises on acceleration or braking though? I know the heat shield on my rack was catching and making a noise - it still does slightly now tbh. Either that, or my rack is on the way out!

2005 Clio 182 FF
Yea I was thinking that too but it's the only thing left I can think of? Just wondering if anybody had similar experience? It mostly happens when turning.

2005 Clio 182 FF
Ball joint done on drivers side, no obvious play either.

Is this just something they do ? It's definatley not right ? It's doing my head in!

2005 Clio 182 FF
Mine clunks aswell. Have been under the car and checked everything obvious. tightened bolts, still clunks.
I don't like the noise it's making, I suppose ill have to get under and check, I don't want to have a failure of the steering !

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
My 172 used to click and clunk a bit when steering back when I got it, took it to my local alignment place, guy had it up on the ramps, nipped up any nuts and bolts he checked. Stopped the clicking, clunking was still there. Turned out that was an incorrectly seated spring. I thought that was my rack bushes until I had the wheels off and saw the spring sitting half off the spring platform!

If the rack bushes are worn you'll be able to see the rack moving. I'm sure you can look down the back of the engine and see it. Get someone to move the steering back and forth and if there's any movement there's your problem.

2005 Clio 182 FF
T
My 172 used to click and clunk a bit when steering back when I got it, took it to my local alignment place, guy had it up on the ramps, nipped up any nuts and bolts he checked. Stopped the clicking, clunking was still there. Turned out that was an incorrectly seated spring. I thought that was my rack bushes until I had the wheels off and saw the spring sitting half off the spring platform!

If the rack bushes are worn you'll be able to see the rack moving. I'm sure you can look down the back of the engine and see it. Get someone to move the steering back and forth and if there's any movement there's your problem.
Thanks ill check this tomorrow :)

2005 Clio 182 FF
Just a update, rack bushes are shot, you can actually see the wheel pull back when it's moved, looked down the back of the engine and rack is moving about 5mm

2005 Clio 182 FF
Ok still nil fix on this. Changed lower wishbone, top mounts (modded spacers) , shocks, arb bushes (c**t), rack bushes.
Tried spacers under the top hats. Basically tried everything bar the rack.....

What is it that s***s itself in the rack? I have a inner tie rod on the shelf, could these be worn?

Fuckin sick of this noise.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
LOL. Annoying isn't it. I had mine in yesterday and they said everything is fine. Going to do the outer arb bushes next.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Last week i had the powerflex rack bushes fitted and steering is much tighter,and the mechanic said there wasnt a lot of wear on the old ones,took him 30 mins

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
do it lee it is noticeable with having the inner and outer arbs,whens car going into garage?

2005 Clio 182 FF
Last week i had the powerflex rack bushes fitted and steering is much tighter,and the mechanic said there wasnt a lot of wear on the old ones,took him 30 mins
Yea the rack bushes are handy when you've the tools. It tightens up the rack , doesn't fix the clicking!