ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering full lock - violent twitching

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
When i turn the steering full lock in either direction the car is very very twitchy i.e it will clunk and generally feel as if the wheel is ready to collapse on its self. Once turned near full lock it drags the wheel out of your hand and starts to clunk and shake violently like i said...

Could it be the CV joints? Dont these usually go one at a time if it was?

Really starting to test my patience this!

Regards!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
No mate just standard shocks and springs. Ive not had a chance to have a look at it but if it looks as bad as it sounds then its going off the road? I know the top mounts have a tendancy to clunk at low speeds but this is most definatley a bigger problem than that :-(

Clio 182 cup
yeah mine is the same full lock and the twitching occurs It was really bad I thought it was something to do with the tracking so had that done and its a lot better

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
it's the steering rack IMO. Know a mk1 thats doing the same thing.

Danny i hope you're right tbh, i went to a garage today and they put it up on the ramp for me. Nothing looked suspicious, everything was tight.

The boy said today that he thought it might have been a bent wish bone/damaged sub frame (i hope to f**k its not!!!) He was just submising as to what it could or could not be...

Its going back tomorrow for an extensive road test and ramp work, the boys are top, suspension checks are free!

Laguna sport tourer
it may just be because the tyres are cold i noticed the same thing last year when it got cold and loads of people had the same problem it seems to be worse when the tyres are getting low on tread

Laguna sport tourer
have you had the geometry checked not just tracking i.e SAI, caster, camber etc that should show any fault up

ITB'd MK1
Danny i hope you're right tbh, i went to a garage today and they put it up on the ramp for me. Nothing looked suspicious, everything was tight.

The boy said today that he thought it might have been a bent wish bone/damaged sub frame (i hope to f**k its not!!!) He was just submising as to what it could or could not be...

Its going back tomorrow for an extensive road test and ramp work, the boys are top, suspension checks are free!
I'll find out if the mk1 has been fixed yet. Gaz was lacking the required level of arsed last time I spoke to him LOL

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
IMO it just sounds like the top mounts, they're 10x worse on slippery surfaces like are about at the moment, I've changed every single suspension component on my car recently (not for this reason) and it's horrendous on full lock in the snow.

BMW F21 125d
Does it feel like its really slipping away from you, almost "understeering" at next to no speed? If so, mines the same! Even more horrendous when its anything more than mildley moist on the road. Multi-story car parks are a nightmare with the up ramps.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Feels exactly like that Badger!

Its only at full lock aswell which is odd as it drives straight as an arrow at any other point of Travel.

I really doubt its anything ro do with the top mounts?

182cup & 172 racecar
I think you will find its normal,there has been loads of threads on this over the years,its just the way they are.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I think you will find its normal,there has been loads of threads on this over the years,its just the way they are.

agree with this i spent time and money on mine last year only to realise its normal

No dis-respect guys but this isnt normal.

Tony im aware of the steering at full lock issues - at worst it should creak at low speeds, this is something that would insist is bent/out of place. My old Phase 1 172 wasnt anything like this

david hodson

ClioSport Club Member
My friends 182 cup (standard suspension) made a clunking noise when turning right full lock, i made him some strut top washers and the noise has gone, it was the strut top cap, catching the body work
my clio has koni shocks and eibach pro springs and doesnt make a sound

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
My friends 182 cup (standard suspension) made a clunking noise when turning right full lock, i made him some strut top washers and the noise has gone, it was the strut top cap, catching the body work
my clio has koni shocks and eibach pro springs and doesnt make a sound

When it was up on the ramp and we had a good look around it and spun the wheels everything was free and moving as it should nothing obvious catching. So this is obviously happening as a result of the weight of the front end over the suspension but i just cant see how the top mounts can cause such violent movement at full lock, total pain in the arse lol..

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
See when you say you made him strut top washers how did you do it? The tin smith in my work could maybe make me some..

182cup & 172 racecar
No dis-respect guys but this isnt normal.

Tony im aware of the steering at full lock issues - at worst it should creak at low speeds, this is something that would insist is bent/out of place. My old Phase 1 172 wasnt anything like this
Think its all to do castor angles etc,I can feel mine scrubbing on full lock,but hey ho.

tiTTy & SV650
I have some strut top washers here Danny if you need them. Never fitted them when I fitted my new top mounts / shocks etc.

BMW F21 125d
Feels exactly like that Badger!

Its only at full lock aswell which is odd as it drives straight as an arrow at any other point of Travel.

I really doubt its anything ro do with the top mounts?

I've got strut top washers on mine and its made no difference! Its not scraping on the metal, its slippage under the tyre itself, like there's not enough rubber in constant contact with the road surface.
It MAY be something to do with the 205 width tyres, but in all honesty I'm quite sure mine has got worse over time. (Hope its not, just bought 4 new 205's!) Saying that my tyres are nearing the limit, but from what I have read this is not the cause. I'm going to have Birchdown have another look at it next time I am there.

182cup & 172 racecar
Its normal,how many more times.Do you drive everywhere on full lock all the time,no i didn't think so.Stop looking for a problem that isn't there.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Its normal,how many more times.Do you drive everywhere on full lock all the time,no i didn't think so.Stop looking for a problem that isn't there.

You and Badger seem to be having the EXACT same issue as myself Tony, its comforting to know LOL

Thanks for all the input gents! :cool:

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
For what it's worth mine does it too, mine being so low has emplified it too, it's French! Relax!

182 Full of Fat
Every morning when I pull out of my drive (full lock/close to full lock) it feels/sounds like my wheel is going to slowly collapse, usually too early for me to give a s**t though so never bothered me much lol