ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steaming Exhaust on 182

Clio 182, M3 Evo
Had a bit of a fright the other day. Dropped into third to overtake and wound it up to about 5500 rpm. When I looked in the mirror I saw what I first thought was loads of smoke coming out the back - panic! Dropped it back to 3500 and it was clear

I then noticed there was loads of water on the rear window. I now think it was steam/water vapour and not oil smoke. (it was quite a cold day) Wound it up again, same result - clouds of clear/white "smoke". I've since checked the oil and everything is as it should be. Car is running fine, no warning lights etc. but I'm still worried. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've also got a problem with the fan on the heater - it stopped working for a while but then it suddenly decided to run at full speed all the time and I can't turn it down. Any ideas what the problem might be please?

Don't you just love Renault build quality!

BMW M3
How warm was the engine ?

Quite normal for a cold day and not been running long.

Happens to me every morning.

172 Race Car
steam is normal from cold mate, catalytic converter generates water, this sits in the exhaust unless u get it hot or rag it. Thats why exhausts last longer on higher milage cars. 182 seems to put it onthe rear screen due to the exhaust design

Clio 182, M3 Evo
Engine was up to temperature, been running for about 10 mins I guess. I expect some steam but it was so dense I couldn't see through it! Really gave me the willies!

BMW M3
Engine was up to temperature, been running for about 10 mins I guess. I expect some steam but it was so dense I couldn't see through it! Really gave me the willies!

On a cold day i wouldnt rag it until id done 15 mins of driving.... not just running. It can get very dense.... need to use the wiper to clear it all off before you can see out the back again.

Clio 182, M3 Evo
Thanks for the replies. It's good to know that others have had similar experiences. Any thoughts on the heater fan?

mini cooper (RIP 172)
yer sounds ok, if car was just starting to get warm and then rev it a bit all the water sittin in the exhaust will come out, as steam;)

BMW M3
Is it still in warranty ?

Faulty renault electrics are almost just as common lol.... not too sure on the prob but id hand it to them if its still got warranty mate.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Problem was if your overtaking should have been doing 6500 RPM +