ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting problem Clio RS 197

Clio sport 197
Hello,
I have a Renault Clio RS 197 2006 with about 90 000km.
The car is used regularly but yesterday it unfortunately did not start.
It turns around on the starter but does not fire up. The battery is in good condition.
I have tried an OBD reader of a simple model for error code reading but there are no DTC stored.
I have on a couple of occasion driven the car with basically no gas in the fueltank. The question is whether it may have damaged the fuel pump. How do I check the operation of the fuel pump easiest?
Is there a lot of work to dismantle it?

I welcome any tips on what may be causing the starting problem.
Greetings from Sweden!

Clio sport 197
The problem is now solved. A tip to those with similar problems. It was the camshaft sensor. It was basically covered in oil which probably interfered the signal.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The Cam sensor lives in the top of the engine/cam cover and so is supposed to get covered in oil. The car should also start without the Cam Position Sensor so I suspect you may see this issue again chap.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
fuel pump would be my punt

I had one just die whilst driving, just cut out, had to get a tow home :(

Its a reasonably common issue and will also give your symptoms.

Clio sport 197
Hey folks,
@MicKPM That's very strange since the car started after cleaning of the camshaft sensor. Are you sure about that the car should start without the camshaft sensor connected? In my opinion it wont since it needs to know the position of the camshaft in order to be able to give the spark.
@Gaz_ The car works fine now. Do you think the fuelpump can stop working and then suddenly work again?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
@Frederic no it doesn't, the Crank Sensor is the foundation signal for the ECU and the Cam Sensor is a supplemental signal from which the ECU can ascertain the position or "phase" of the camshaft relative to the piston position.