ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Standard top mounts or Solid?

Got the option to buy some ktec solid mounts cheap, I know a lot of people prefer standard but anyone else give me pros and cons over solid ones?

It maybe not worth doing but if the mounts are cheap then... ?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
More vibration, handle a bit better depending on what else has been done.

I'd personally go standard unless road hog or track hero. But the pms ones with the brace had great reviews. Don't read too much about road use.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Standard Everyday of the week.

I had AST solid top mounts on the trophy and after 3 years of having them the issues they caused where crazy and i ended up selling them and putting the genuine OE mounts on.

With it being on the trophy there was loads of vibration and you could feel the dust on the road let along stones or pot holes.

The only good thing about the AST ones is that you don't need to drill the top strut turret , If you buy k-tec, Pure or anyone else I'm sure you need to drill 3 nice holes.

Clio Trophy
I did not like the Ktec top mounts, clicky clicky click click every where you go, PMS ones are great

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
I use the screw on solid mounts, I really like them personally. combined with coilovers so the rides harsh anyways

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
From what I've read, stick with standard top mounts if it's a daily and go with solid top mounts for track or if you don't do many miles and don't mind it being a bit harsher.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I think solid top mount bearings don't last particularly long either, especially ones exposed to the elements a lot -> i.e. dailies.
I recently refurbed my solid KTR mounts and like them on track, feels a bit sharper (less vague) up front, but not dramatically different. Sadly, on the road the ride makes me cringe at times (Eibach sportiness & cup shocks).

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Standard Everyday of the week.

I had AST solid top mounts on the trophy and after 3 years of having them the issues they caused where crazy and i ended up selling them and putting the genuine OE mounts on.

With it being on the trophy there was loads of vibration and you could feel the dust on the road let along stones or pot holes.

The only good thing about the AST ones is that you don't need to drill the top strut turret , If you buy k-tec, Pure or anyone else I'm sure you need to drill 3 nice holes.

Totally agree if the car is a regular road car don't punish yourself, as for solid top mounts from the 27th of March comp-brake will also be selling top mounts that don't require you drill holes in the strut top.