ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Standard 172 Exhaust, good quality aftermarket options?

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a good quality standard exhaust for my 172, the Ktec Stealth it has on currently does my head in. I want standard noise levels but something that isn't going to fall apart after 12 months. Does anyone know of any good options?

Cheers

Mike

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
How much you looking at spending? The pms although not stealth is very good. Not cheap mind.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
PMS do a stealth, but still to noisy really. I want it to be quiet, if BTB still did exhaust for the 172 I would buy one in a heart beat.

I find my PMS with a centre silencer quite quiet, but I guess that’s subjective. I would go down the custom made exhaust route, then you can get exactly what you want.

clio 172 2004
Hi sorry if thi is not the correct place but i am breaking my 172 and it has a stainless 3" from cat backwards on it, custom fit from Tony Banks. It will need a little modding but it will fit. Only been on the car since last year.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
I find my PMS with a centre silencer quite quiet, but I guess that’s subjective. I would go down the custom made exhaust route, then you can get exactly what you want.
If I had the option to go custom It would be considered, but I am in Jersey so not really an option unfortunately. What is the cabin noise like with the PMS? the main gripe I have with the Ktec is the drone inside the cabin. Such a s**t exhaust the Ktec, it doesn't even sound nice. Just sounds like you have a knackered exhaust the drones!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
If I had the option to go custom It would be considered, but I am in Jersey so not really an option unfortunately. What is the cabin noise like with the PMS? the main gripe I have with the Ktec is the drone inside the cabin. Such a s**t exhaust the Ktec, it doesn't even sound nice. Just sounds like you have a knackered exhaust the drones!

My clio is stripped out with roll cage etc, and I find the PMS system with silencer fairly quiet (currently running it unslicened) and it sounds a lot better than my old Ktec stealth.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Your issue is the fact you have a stealth. They're inherently noisy because the sound reflects off the road surface and back up towards the car.

Anything that doesn't have a downwards facing tip will be far better

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
PMS certainly market their exhaust as being quiet. My 172 had a Ktec Supersport stealth when I bought it and I binned it for a Klarius OEM one from ECP. The centre box broke up within a few weeks, but had a new one under warranty and it's been fine since. The Ktec is just ridiculous though. Totally deafening and sounds cack. It doesn't sound good, it's just noise.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
PMS certainly market their exhaust as being quiet. My 172 had a Ktec Supersport stealth when I bought it and I binned it for a Klarius OEM one from ECP. The centre box broke up within a few weeks, but had a new one under warranty and it's been fine since. The Ktec is just ridiculous though. Totally deafening and sounds cack. It doesn't sound good, it's just noise.

I will probably get the Klarius one, found it on carparts4less.co.uk for £128 delivered to Jersey. The car is just a work horse so not bothered by performance or weight just want it to be nice and quiet!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I will probably get the Klarius one, found it on carparts4less.co.uk for £128 delivered to Jersey. The car is just a work horse so not bothered by performance or weight just want it to be nice and quiet!

That was my reasoning too to be honest. At the time I was using it as a daily for quite a long commute and the Ktec did nothing but hurt my ears and make people look at you like you were filth. I'm sure the likes of PMS are lovely but, for around 100 notes, the Klarius did what I needed it to do!

scruffydubber

ClioSport Club Member
  RS CUP
Hoffman off ebay.
I went through a simular process.
I built myself a 2.5"exhaust 2 boxes, I used the biggest boxes I could fit. It was so noisey.
So I bought a stock 2.25 system. Link below, its light, much better quality than the original stock exhaust which actually went down below 2" on one section.
There is no difference in power, I'm going to keep with it until it becomes a restriction.
I also gave it a coat of high temp paint to help it last.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/352208775579

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone got an idea of the standard exhaust dia?.ie is it 2.25 in width?.im looking to change my ktech to and maybe just fit a standard centre section but keep the rear box