ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stalk adaptor wires - help!

Believe it or not I managed to install my headunit - apart from actually getting it in because the wires wouldnt get out of the way enough, but thats another thing.

At the time I got it, I ordered an adaptor wire to make the stalk control compatible with the head unit. It seemed relatively easy to fit but isnt!

Managed to plug the main blocks from the wiring loom into it and another round connector that the manual said was for the stalk control. However then there is another long red connector that doesnt appear to go anywhere and a green/yellow (earth?) wire that doesnt have a home.

Someone said you have to take the dash apart to fit these - is that right? Where abouts do they connect? - is it up by the head-up display? And if so, how do you get the dash off?

The head unit worked fine when I plugged it straight in, and then I tried it via this adaptor and it worked, but it didnt retain power when ignition was turned off and kept prompting for code everytime I turned it back on. It was ok when I didnt use this adaptor wire.

ANY help would be appreciated as Ive got this far fitting it and it seems a shame to go and pay the full whack to an ICE shop when Ive virtually sussed what I thought was impossible!!

Lee

BMW M2C

Hi,

Dont hold me to this, but when I did something similar in a Rover a few years back I had to connect the red wire in place of the yellow wire. I believe its got something to do with how you want the unit to be powered. On mine there was a rubber booted socket part way down one of the cables that allowed you to choose whether you wanted the unit to receive power with the ignition off or on only.

I dont have a clue in a Clio but it sounds similar, no doubt someone will know though.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

yes your right.. swap the yellow and the red wire arround on the adapter

yellow = permanent 12v + supply

red = switched 12v + supply

Lee

BMW M2C

OMG I gave good advice, thats made my entire week :eek:

Installed a new head unit in my old mans Celica over Xmas as it was his chrimbo present. I thought it would be easy as it had been in cars Ive had in the past. Little did I know Id have to remove the entire facia of the centre console!!

Thanks chaps - when you say adaptor - which one do you mean? - the one that came with the head unit, or the one that is on the stalk wire adaptor thing?

So I dont need to do anything behind the dash then?? My stalk control will work with those 2 extra bits not plugged in anywhere?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

if you stalk adapter is causing the problem then change the wires round on the adapter, that way if you ever put the hu into another car or remove the adapter it will all still be wired correctly.

The other two wires I dont know.. red should be a positive 12v supply, and the green/yellow one might be an earth but you are better to check that with a multimeter.

either way if you arent using them tape them up to make sure the dont touch anything. oh and use insulating tape.. not selotape as some people do..

ps. just incase the above is unclear you should change the wire on this bit:

"I ordered an adaptor wire to make the stalk control compatible with the head unit"

does the stalk adapter use any of the 12v feeds ? eg is that what is changing the red and yellow round the wrong way ??? if not then its the HU wiring that you need to change.

if you could take pics then I would be 100% sure which one you should be changing.

I explained it quite badly - the red "wires" is actually a thickish black cable (quite long so obviously has to travel) with a rectangular RED connector on the end. The green/yellow is a green/yellow wire with a clear covered connector on the end. Everything else is plugged in.

I dont know about the 12v feeds. Ill try to explain again below

The head unit comes with a set of wires with connectors on. One goes into the back of the head unit then there is a black connector block with 2 parts to it that the connectors from the wiring loom go into - if you put them in, its all fine.

Here is an image of a SIMILAR stalk adaptor thing. The differences are as follows: I only have 2 of the rectangular connector blocks, where is this image shows 4. They both go into the big black connector block that came with the head unit, so they are done and dusted. I have the green/yellow wire as below and the black round connector at the bottom (I know where that goes). The only thing it doesnt show is this long thickish wire with the red rectangular connector at the end.

http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/images/rem_interface.jpg

Going back to what was on the Renault head unit. There are 2 connector blocks that went into that, that have no home. A blue one that I ascertained was for the CD changer (now redundant so I can ignore it), but there was also a yellow one that seemed to be for the head up display and stalk control. I was thinking that it must go somewhere, but cant see where. It is nothing like this phantom red connector, so it cant go with that.

Any more help would be appreciated - dont worry if you dont know - Ill just take it somewhere and pay tomorrow if no-one has any advice!

4) - I dont have a clue - just a green/yellow wire with clear connector on end

5) goes into a similar looking connector coming out the back of the new head unit - in the HU manual it says that its for external stalk control.

If 1 is the HUD connector, then how and where would I get that in? How do you get the dash off to connect it?

Remember there are 2 renault connectors hanging with no home! 1 is CD changer so thats ok, but the other one was for the HUD and stalk I believe, so surely that has to go somewhere??

BTW - I love the pictures ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

okay the HUD connector .. look here

http://www.cliosport.net/articles/dashfaq/index.asphttp://www.cliosport.net/articles/dashfaq/index.asp

see the HUD used to get the cd/track etc. but as far as I was aware after you fit an aftermarket HU you will lose this information and just retain the temp and clock ? which will come from different sourced that the data from the original HU

youve already got the connection for the new HU end of the stalk control conversion. all you need to do is connect a cable from the conversion unit to the original stalk control cable.

the converter should basically have cables to convert the original stalk signals to the new ones that your HU will understand ( a translator if you like) so one bit of it should connect to the original stalk cable and should also connect to your new headunit (either through the big blocks or a seperate connection to the back of the new HU)

the HUD should either have a cable connected to it from the conversion unit or to the cable that used to come down to the back of the renault HU

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

damn this is bugging me now..

if i could just see the HU the original renault wiring and the adapter I would be able to tell you exactly what to do..heh

you should still be using the original Renault power/speakers connectors btw.

what HU is it make/model , what is the name of the convertor model #

Yep - I do lose the HUD information. I connected it all in as far as I could and the stalk still didnt work which is why Im puzzled and guessed that the red connector meant something.

What I think might be happening, is that the data from the stalk is passed through the HUD wiring (maybe??) which WAS connected to the old Renault HU via this yellow connector that is currently hanging loose with nowhere to go.

So even though Ive connected a different cable to the headunit - it still isnt connected to the stalk. I was wondering if you have to connect the red connector to the HUD and then it might pick up the data???

OK, its a Kenwood KDC-PSW9521 (I was going to get a different one but its last years top of the range and it was sooooo cheap and I couldnt justify paying a similar price for only a mid-range 2003 model but anyway.....)

The adaptor is PC9-712 - Autoleads.

Im at work at the moment so cant take a photo (its dark anyway!) but basically as far as the original renault wiring goes, there were 4 connector blocks - 1 was the power which was re-used, 1 was for speakers which was reused. Then there was a smaller blue one (square as opposed to rectangle like the power and speakers) which was for the CD changer for sure (it started searching the loader when plugged in) and then another square yellow one. Its this yellow one that Im sure was for the HUD and stalk control. It has nowhere to go!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

okay then one of the leads from the the converter plugs into the renault stalk lead.

one of the leads from the converter will then plug into the back of the HU into the stalk control socket (probably number 5).

one of the leads from the converter will then plug into the HUD (probably the red one)

the green/yellow will be an earth (confirm this if you can by getting a car bulb, connect the green yellow to the bulb earth point and know live to the other part of the bulb if it lights then you know you got an earth)

so basically the original renault stock control cable should plug into 2 or 3 on the image above, so

1) connect to HUD

2) connects to original renault stalk control
3) connects to original renault stalk control
(dont know which one)

4) Earth.. try it using above method (or multimeter it if you have one)

5) Goes into back of HU (stalk control socket)

Thanks a lot _KDF - my only trouble now is how Id get the yellow connector to connect to the red - they arent the same size at all

What Ill do is take some photos now and post them. If you can still help it would be very much appreciated and if not, dont worry, youve been more than helpful already!!

Photos to follow shortly!

OK - 1st is back of renault head unit - you can see the 2 main blocks that I can re-use in the adaptor (power and speakers), but you can also see the yellow and blue blocks that have nowhere to go with the adaptor. 2nd pic just shows the Kenwood head unit and 3rd shows it all together, connected as far as I can. You can see the red connector and its size and the green/yellow. Everything else is connected, but remember there is also this yellow connector block from the first pic that is hanging loose now if you remove the renault head unit.

If you have any more ideas after seeing this, Id be very grateful

http://mrcatchpole.users.btopenworld.com/rhu.jpg

http://mrcatchpole.users.btopenworld.com/kenhustd.jpg

http://mrcatchpole.users.btopenworld.com/kenhuandadaptor.jpg

I thought that if you follow your existing cables back you should come to two iso connectors, one for power and one for speakers.

If not you will requirean adaptor, existing radio to iso.

All the best

John V6

Have all the parts ready to put into car.

Looking at your photos the best way is to swap over yellow to red and red to yellow via the Kenwood set, you have the two bullet connectors to carry this out very quickly.

All the best

John V6

I think I will do that John to solve the memory loss issue, but I still dont know where the big red connector goes to (it will fit into nothing I can see) and what to do with the yellow connector block that used to go into the renault head unit.

I think Ill just take this somewhere and pay them. It aint a 10 minute job any more and is obviously a very complex procedure. I just didnt want to lose my stalk which is why I bought the supposedly compatible connector thing!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

the yellow block is for the display it does nothing with the sony and needs to be secured somewhere. (as the autoleads adaptor cannot convert display information)

The red block is a molex type and needs to be connected to the connector at the back of the clock unit (requires dash top removal)

its a 35 min job seriously im local and am willing to do this ive done it loads of times on mine

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

yes as I said in the diagram above the red connecter either went to the yellow one (which it obviously isnt the same size so not that one) or straight to the back of the HUD display which as tom says requires the removal of the dash..

use the link I posted above to find out how to remove the dash..

Thanks for all your advice _KDF - its been a real help :D

Tom, if you dont mind doing it then it would be excellent. I really dont fancy trying to take my dash off (as easy as the instructions look) - Id probably end up damaging it knowing me. But I dont want to put you out! If you really dont mind and have any free time, just tell me when and where and Ill be very grateful.