ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SSD

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
bumping my own question ive old hp laptop which may benefit from a ssd its got remote access to sites printers and other items programs & a user who couldn't deal with a fresh setup & its hassle id like to avoid would cloning carry everything over seamlessly

thanks
Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and go for a clean reformat. If you open a command prompt (Windows key + R and then type cmd) - and run the systeminfo command - it will show you the Original Install Date of the OS. My work's PC is currently reporting 23rd June 2017 and I'll be switching to a larger SSD over the next week or so.

Despite having a lot of setup information, apps installed and various configs - I'm not even thinking of cloning the drive. I'll just start afresh and negate all the build-up of crap that my PC has had in the last eighteen months.

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and go for a clean reformat. If you open a command prompt (Windows key + R and then type cmd) - and run the systeminfo command - it will show you the Original Install Date of the OS. My work's PC is currently reporting 23rd June 2017 and I'll be switching to a larger SSD over the next week or so.

Despite having a lot of setup information, apps installed and various configs - I'm not even thinking of cloning the drive. I'll just start afresh and negate all the build-up of crap that my PC has had in the last eighteen months.
If it were me I'd have done a fresh install but trying to decipher a parent's organisation of a 10 year old I3 3gb laptop isn't going to be fun

Unfortunately I've seen flag for the health of the 500gb HDD (to my amazement) my idea of a cheap 240gb SSD maybe a tight fit space wise [emoji17]

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Just to bump this thread, may I ask what the potential issue(s) might be??

Data retention without power is usually rated at a year, but most do longer than this now.
Not really an issue for personal use but if it’s commercial data really needs to be backed up elsewhere.

Data retention without power is usually rated at a year, but most do longer than this now.
Not really an issue for personal use but if it’s commercial data really needs to be backed up elsewhere.
I am confused as to why it would be lost after X amount of time - surely once it's written it will stay as-is unless it is changed?

By which I mean to ask why a year or so? Why not a day? or a week? It will be the same conditions (no power, no operation) so I don't understand why things would fail after an amount of time.

I haven't read up on the construction/physics, though, so I'm sure I'm not understanding something, lol.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I am confused as to why it would be lost after X amount of time - surely once it's written it will stay as-is unless it is changed?

By which I mean to ask why a year or so? Why not a day? or a week? It will be the same conditions (no power, no operation) so I don't understand why things would fail after an amount of time.

I haven't read up on the construction/physics, though, so I'm sure I'm not understanding something, lol.

Data isn’t written like on a traditional hard drive,
SSDs store data by using an electrical charge, if it loses that charge then it corrupts the data.

Data isn’t written like on a traditional hard drive,
SSDs store data by using an electrical charge, if it loses that charge then it corrupts the data.

Thanks chaps - looks like they should be fine in 'normal' use, but backups should be made to other formats (as always).

One of the joys of modern life, I guess - having to back everything up and move it to the latest formats every so often! lol