ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SSD or Hybrid?

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
So for those of you who don't know a Hybrid drive is exactly what it seems, it is half SSD half HDD. so the storage of the HDD but the speed of the SDD.

So far the only one I know of is The Seagate Momentus XT.

Do i go for upgrade to a 256GB SSD for £200 ish. or £90 for the Momentus. Which comes in 320gb 500gb or 750gb.

I do also have my external HDD which is a 1TB so its deciding wether the difference between the hybrid and the SSD is really worth the money. Any one out here with a hybrid or an SSD.

Tell me what you think.

Noah

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
hybrids ar old tech now and are not half as good as ssd. The reason for this is becasue only a certain amount of data can be held in the large cache(the ssd part). Apparently hybrids puts files that are being accessed many times into the cache, whcih in theory will speed things up. But as access to the HDD is still required, it will not touch the speed of a SSD drive. Also you still have the HDD section spining around at 7200rpm just waiting to get scratched. Only thing with SSD's at the moment is the fact that you cant wipe them securely, so if your storing sensative data that you will want wiped at a later date, then they are not the best choice.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
I have on OCZ AGILITY3 SSD and its great, boot speed is good but shut down takes like 20 seconds so great when your in a rush :), i know nothing about hybrids though so probably no help lol

Go cry to your momma!
Prices are coming down!
I have a Vertex 2E in my 2010 MBP, it's never slowed down.

Do you need a large SSD if you have your external for storage?

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
Prices are coming down!
I have a Vertex 2E in my 2010 MBP, it's never slowed down.

Do you need a large SSD if you have your external for storage?

As much as i'd love a 512GB ssd i just can't warrant the price. I don't see them dropping in price anytime soon.

However in a year or so i may buy myself an iMac aswel so that MacBook would be just a school computer. So the 256gb ssd would in theory be fine.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
ebuyer are doing a 120gb ssd for near £60 at the moment, cant go wrong with that really! you have your external hdd for large files etc. 120gb is reallya lot of space for everyday use.

Rav4
ebuyer are doing a 120gb ssd for near £60 at the moment, cant go wrong with that really! you have your external hdd for large files etc. 120gb is reallya lot of space for everyday use.
and £154.99 for the Crucial M4, bargain.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
120Gb isn't enough? As above, maybe you need a home network or to move some stuff to an external large cap drive that you can backup regularly.

Go cry to your momma!
Anyone that fancies an SSD, Amazon have the crucial M4 128GB on @ £78.99.

I got myself one the other day to replace my OCZ Vertex 120GB.

Before:

ScreenShot2012-05-25at082736.png

After:

ScreenShot2012-05-25at104655.png

Running in a 2010 MBP so only Sata II otherwise the read speed would be higher.