ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SSD and Laptop Screen Questions?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
just got a brand new dell inspiron 17" 5000 series laptop
the £479 one from the dell outlet centre

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-17-5748-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC

as with most things in life you cant always afford what you want.
its comes with a 1tb spinning hard drive, my old laptop has a Samsung evo SSD in it, a fast one from memory. would it be worth putting the ssd into my new laptop and reinstalling windows 8? I would see much of a speed increase with those laptop specs?

also I don't want much from a laptop, a pretty basic one but a decent screen, sadly decent screens only come on decent laptops costing lots of money. random question I know but when I get some money could I buy a better screen from like the 7000 series and put it into the laptop? assuming its identical size wise etc... I wouldn't need anything special to run it would I?

also like modding and upgrading a car as and when you get the ££ :)

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
100% worth putting the SSD in. I can't stand using a PC with an old hard drive in even if it is a good spec.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah - definitely recommend the SSD's - especially as the smaller sized ones aren't a great deal now - 120GB ones are sub £45 inc.VAT.
Just make sure before you reformat, check in BIOS that the SSD/SATA interface is switched to AHCI - assuming it supports it. Much better for SSD usage.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok well installing windows 8.1 on the ssd was going well but hit a major brick wall

I cant install the wireless card / bluetooh drivers as I keep getting this error

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=activate+bluetooth+using+wireless+switch

tried a few of the suggestions brought up by google but none work, im really stuck.
can anyone help?
ive got a inspiron 5748
downloaded the latest drivers plus the older version but get the same issue

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
ok well installing windows 8.1 on the ssd was going well but hit a major brick wall

I cant install the wireless card / bluetooh drivers as I keep getting this error

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=activate bluetooth using wireless switch

tried a few of the suggestions brought up by google but none work, im really stuck.
can anyone help?
ive got a inspiron 5748
downloaded the latest drivers plus the older version but get the same issue
Can you turn the wireless switch off in th BIOS so the WiFi is always on?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I get the not being able to afford what you want, but credit is so cheap at the moment, why not spend say like £700 now on a credit card at 0% for 18 months, and just have it done? (Get the spec you actually wanted) Seems like so much less hassle.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Can you turn the wireless switch off in th BIOS so the WiFi is always on?
after days of dicking around and scratching my head, I found that windows has some drivers for the wireless card in the laptop. not the exact one but similar model, anyway installed them and it worked. so im fully up and running and the brand new laptop with SSD is flying along now.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I get the not being able to afford what you want, but credit is so cheap at the moment, why not spend say like £700 now on a credit card at 0% for 18 months, and just have it done? (Get the spec you actually wanted) Seems like so much less hassle.
cos I already have a massive credit card bill.
this is a great laptop for the price I just happen to already have an SSD I can put it in

Great move with the SSD.

You'll "feel" much more of a difference going from a 5400 RPM hard drive to a SSD than you would by spending an extra £2/3/400 on other components...

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Understood; changing the HDD isn't such a bad job, it's changing the screen that's more hassle.
normally changing a hard drive takes seconds and do a fresh install a few hours. due to this driver issue the install has taken days, but hey im there now.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Great move with the SSD.

You'll "feel" much more of a difference going from a 5400 RPM hard drive to a SSD than you would by spending an extra £2/3/400 on other components...
when I put this SSD in my old laptop it didn't really make any odds, but then again it was an old laptop.

this new one with i5 processor and 8gb of ram is ace with SSD

when I put this SSD in my old laptop it didn't really make any odds, but then again it was an old laptop.

this new one with i5 processor and 8gb of ram is ace with SSD

Did you do a fresh install on the other laptop and be careful not to instantly install loads of crap? I realise it was a Celeron/Pentium something or other so never going to be lightening fast, a laptop HDD takes about 17ms to find a file (let alone load it), whereas the processor is doing something like "the GHz number with the decimal point removed and EIGHT zeros added on the end" things per second.

Nothing slow about about an i5, SSD & enough RAM! When can we expect 5 axis milled 1:32 model of a Clio then? Surface & solid modelling in AutoCAD should be very smooth now :)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Did you do a fresh install on the other laptop and be careful not to instantly install loads of crap? I realise it was a Celeron/Pentium something or other so never going to be lightening fast, a laptop HDD takes about 17ms to find a file (let alone load it), whereas the processor is doing something like "the GHz number with the decimal point removed and EIGHT zeros added on the end" things per second.

Nothing slow about about an i5, SSD & enough RAM! When can we expect 5 axis milled 1:32 model of a Clio then? Surface & solid modelling in AutoCAD should be very smooth now :smile:
haha when I win the lottery and can afford a 5 axis mill