ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Squealing noise from engine

Liquid Yellow R27
I'm getting a horrendous squealing noise from the engine when:
  1. Starting the engine.
  2. Turning the wheels whilst stationary or going slowly. (worse when stationary and you can feel it struggle to turn through the steering wheel)
  3. Revving the engine.
  4. Changing gear. (only occasionally)
Any idea of what this would be and how much it would cost to fix? Thanks in advance :)

clio 1.2 sport
sounds like a loose auxillery belt. easy to fix. replace belt or tighten tensioner (if its not a spring loaded one that automatic adjusts)

Liquid Yellow R27
sounds like a loose auxillery belt. easy to fix. replace belt or tighten tensioner (if its not a spring loaded one that automatic adjusts)
I've got a Clio 182, 05 plate. Will that be the one that automatically adjusts? If so, will it just be a case of replacing the aux belt?

clio 1.2 sport
looking at the pics on the net of auxillery belt tensioner seams yours maybe the self adjusting spring loaded type. so ether your belt has worn so loose the adjuster cannot tighten it anymore (new belt) or the spring has worn causing it to not hold the tension (new adjuster) however im inclinde to say change both. may aswell whilst your there and the parts together shouldnt be more than £50.

Liquid Yellow R27
looking at the pics on the net of auxillery belt tensioner seams yours maybe the self adjusting spring loaded type. so ether your belt has worn so loose the adjuster cannot tighten it anymore (new belt) or the spring has worn causing it to not hold the tension (new adjuster) however im inclinde to say change both. may aswell whilst your there and the parts together shouldnt be more than £50.

Thanks for the help mate, that's great. Would you advise buying the parts separate rather than from the garage that will be doing the work? Also, how long do you think the job would take for a garage to do? Just trying to add up labour costs.

​Thanks :)

Clio 172 2001
I had this problem, I bought a new belt and the Ktec crank pulley and all sorted :) my mate fitted it took him about 2 hours :)

Cheapest I found was Adam in the Wolverhampton Renault section on here 54 quid posted for the kit. Fiddly job I had to borrow a few extra tools that I didn't have but easy enough to do. Theirs a guide for it on here too which makes it easier