ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Squeaking suspension getting worse... what to do?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Hi I made a thread on this a while back but didn't get much response... situation is now getting a little more annoying.

Basically, when doing a sharp turn left, I get a big old squeak from the right hand suspension at the front of the car. This is progressively getting louder... and I've now noticed it's starting to do it at the back as well. This is happening when accelerating from stand still, and occasionally when braking.

The first thing I need to figure out is where is it coming from? Is it likely to be the actual springs, or something else? I should probably point out I'm running K-Tec coilovers, and they've only had about 1,500-2,000 miles put on them so far. I'm not very handy with tools unfortunately, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Ultimately I'm a bit stuck because...

• Local garages round here don't seem to want to touch anything to do with modifications
  • I can't take it back to K-Tec because they're over 150 miles away (they fit them themselves when I was staying nearby last year)
  • I presume whatever is causing the squeak could eventually seize up!?
  • I wanna get on the track this year and I don't want this affecting it!
  • Even if it's nothing that serious, I can't exactly one day sell the car like this

If it was the springs... can you fit other brands springs to coilovers that are already fitted?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Imagine you're speaking to a complete r****d (because you are) wheels off/suspension off job? Where do they sit, at the top?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Got in touch with K-Tec about asking if it could be bush related like tarmacmuncher mentioned. Going by this diagram would it be the 1's?

powerflex_172.jpg

Also, what about the rear?

Cup In bits
Could be anything from a bush to your steering rack to a mouse stuck in the spring. What mileage is the car.

Any small garage will have a look at your car even if its modified. I never heard of a small garage refuse work purely because its modified. Usually they don't have the tools to work on it or won't warrant the work as aftermarket parts are a minefield of quality.

They don't have to do the work but just diagnose the problem. Half hours labour if that.

02 Clio 172
I'm getting noises from my front end and I've got KTec coilies too. I started by getting pings and pongs when I turned a low speeds and now they're knocking and squeaking all the time. I've also got solid KTec top mounts and all the other suspension joints are Polybushed. I'm going to take the whole lot off in the next few days, rebuild the struts and replace the ball joints and track rod ends etc. Full front end refresh.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I've already had new track ends put on last year.

The only thing I say about the garage and modifications is that they wouldn't touch my coilovers on a previous car as they didn't know the proper procedure to adjust them :S maybe I need a proper diagnoses before I start spending money eh...

Mines doing the same when on full lock but nothing too bad. Had it looked at but apparently there's no problems. Just down to the cups having stiff suspension as standard. :/ quite annoying though.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Funny how K-Tec said it's not going to be related to their coilovers, seeing as though it's only happened since I got them on!

107 Track Car & C4
Personally if it that much of an issue, I'd be on way back to K-Tec. I'm sure they would take a look at them for you.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Lucas, this has already been said... see the image I posted. What would I need to order for the rears though? It's happening all the time from the rears, whereas from the front it's only every now and then.