ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

springs question

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
hi all, random questio but will 1.2 16v springs fit on a 172?

surely as long as the spring fits over the strut it will be fine? its not like the struts that have a different set up stuff?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
they will fit but its not recomended due to the much heavyer front end with bigger engine, rears wont be a problem due to not much if any extra weight.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Why would you want to laura? I'm not entirely convinced they'd even fit tbh...

i would have thought the springs are more likely to fail due to the extra weight they weren't designed for.

if you want low, fit apex... they give a generous 40mm (more like 50mm imo). Ride quality is s**t though.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
^And thats bein polite.

The spring pounage between the 1.2 and 172 isn't actually all that different iirc.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i had apex on my 1.2 and loved them, that was the shocks as well tho, the coilovers on my 172 were rubbish compared imo

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Just use the right springs or leave it alone.

Stupid IMo any other way.

Exactly.

Manufacturers spend £000's if not £millions designing their products, so if they say that something will only fit a certain car, why doubt them??

Exactly.

Manufacturers spend £000's if not £millions designing their products, so if they say that something will only fit a certain car, why doubt them??

Everyone on here know that a set of chopped springs from another car or some cheap springs will make there car handly better and be faster than a supercar.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i fitted my old apex -60mm kit to my mates dynamique the other day and its just as harsh as my sportline'd 172 on standard dampers. not that bad imo.

my coilovers are great when set to the softest but a bit to soft for my liking from a handling point of view

if you want low, fit apex... they give a generous 40mm (more like 50mm imo). Ride quality is s**t though.
Agree, maybe not s**t but certainly not pleasant. Actually, changed my mind they are s**T: bouncy on backroads and harsh around town.

Seriously, you don't want to go any lower than an Apex -40mm on a 172 with springs. Any lower and you really must have coilovers IMO.

I had Apex -40s on mine for about 18 months with no side effects on the shocks (that I'm aware of) before changing to the H&Rs.