ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

springs, alloys and spacers mk2 clio

Clio mk2 1.4 ph3
Hi all I have an mk2 ph3 clio and i'm wondering if anyone can answer the following questions..

1. What is a sensible size of hubcentric spacers that will fit my car in order to widen the stance but not be ridiculous? I have literally no idea about stuff like this, can anyone show any picture examples of the different sizes?

2. Similar sort of question in terms of lowering, i have been recommended that 40mm or maximum 60mm would be best on springs as this wouldnt affect the way the car drives/ rides as much as coilovers. Would these springs make much of a difference?

3. I plan on getting some 16" alloys at some point so would this effect what size spacers I would need / how much the car could be lowered?

Before anyone answers my personal aims for how I want the car to look are nothing ridiculous just sportier, and smarter all round without being un-usable on a daily basis.

thanks in advance and i apologize for my lack or car knowledge! :)

Matt

Spacers will all depend on the offset/width of the alloys you're looking at getting. Make sure you get the bolt to hub type and the right sized wheel nuts/bolts. Pretty sure the traders on here do some decent spacers.

I had 40mm apex springs on standard shocks on my mk2 ph1 clio and yeah they do make quite a bit of difference, there is a little less body roll, I didn't notice any difference in ride quality myself, but everyone on here slates them saying it'll break your back, which is all lies tbh. And of course it gets rid of the 4x4 ride height. I wouldn't go any lower than 50mm on standard shocks.

Yeah the offset of the alloys will affect if you need spacers/what spacers you'll need, not so much the ride height as you're not going to be slamming it on just some springs. Get the alloys before you get spacers, then you can measure where you want the wheels to sit in the arch/how much room you have.

Heres my old car on apex 40mm lowering springs and 16" 182 alloys, just to give a rough idea. It had 5mm slip on spacers on the rear (not that it's noticeable...) due to the fact it was rubbing when I turned left or right.

8686270293_91945ea821_o_zps868c96cf.jpg

Clio mk2 1.4 ph3
Spacers will all depend on the offset/width of the alloys you're looking at getting. Make sure you get the bolt to hub type and the right sized wheel nuts/bolts. Pretty sure the traders on here do some decent spacers.

I had 40mm apex springs on standard shocks on my mk2 ph1 clio and yeah they do make quite a bit of difference, there is a little less body roll, I didn't notice any difference in ride quality myself, but everyone on here slates them saying it'll break your back, which is all lies tbh. And of course it gets rid of the 4x4 ride height. I wouldn't go any lower than 50mm on standard shocks.

Yeah the offset of the alloys will affect if you need spacers/what spacers you'll need, not so much the ride height as you're not going to be slamming it on just some springs. Get the alloys before you get spacers, then you can measure where you want the wheels to sit in the arch/how much room you have.

Heres my old car on apex 40mm lowering springs and 16" 182 alloys, just to give a rough idea. It had 5mm slip on spacers on the rear (not that it's noticeable...) due to the fact it was rubbing when I turned left or right.

8686270293_91945ea821_o_zps868c96cf.jpg

thanks, so basically I need to get the alloys before i can find out what size spacers i need.
40mm does also seem like it would be fine :)
On a slightly different topic does anyone know any body on here that can fix a leaky sunroof or knows how much it costs? currently it isn't bad at all but I'd rather get it resealed or whatever before it becomes an issue
cheers

Clio mk2 1.4 ph3
the car itself seems pretty sound, 1.4 29k miles just did a round trip up to inverness and back with no problems other than the intermittent setting on the wipes doesn't work.
just trying to smarten the car up abit, changed the side indicators, buffed a few light scratches out, changed the bulbs for better ones, once its had these few little things fixed will move onto some bigger changes :)

1.4 dynamique (soon)
plans sound decent to me pal! similar to what i want to do with my clio when i get it! my first mod after all the basics and servicing will be the 16 inch alloys, spacers and either coil overs or springs. Then ill be messing around with interiors and hopefully ill be able to get a snappy wheel too! just waiting to find a clean 1.4 dynamique with belts done in kent for just under 2k ... NO LUCK YET :(

keep us updated with the car dude!

Clio mk2 1.4 ph3
plans sound decent to me pal! similar to what i want to do with my clio when i get it! my first mod after all the basics and servicing will be the 16 inch alloys, spacers and either coil overs or springs. Then ill be messing around with interiors and hopefully ill be able to get a @snappy wheel too! just waiting to find a clean 1.4 dynamique with belts done in kent for just under 2k ... NO LUCK YET :(

keep us updated with the car dude!

nice, i paid 1500 for mine + my knackered old focus which i part exchanged for 290.
Sun roof seems like it may be leaking very slightly or something is though as when its very wet at night times i get moisture on the inside of the windscreen.
tried finding somewhere that will do it with little success. also tried ringing 'bettawindscreens' but no answer :/