ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spring loaded bolts, how tight?

Fabia VRS
Hey just a quick question.
On the cat to the manifold joint how tight do you do the spring loaded bolts up? all the way?
Cheers:)

182/ 172 Cup
Hey just a quick question.
On the cat to the manifold joint how tight do you do the spring loaded bolts up? all the way?
Cheers:)

i wasnt sure either when i did mine the other day:( i did mine tight because it blew otherwise.

Fabia VRS
cheers for the replys. i had it fitted by a garage ages ago because it was blowing at 2000revs but now it seems to have come back at 2100revs, not quite so bad though. so i though maybe it just needs tightening up a bit more. if i put my hands over the tail pipes nothing comes out of the joint so would this meen it is done up tight enough. i just cant figure out where its coming from and its starting to get on my nerves. lol

is it the original cat?

i fitted a (new) decat to mine, just to see if it would cure the blowing, as the mouth of the cat was pitted due to corrosion (where it sits over the mesh ring gasket thing on the manifold). decat cured the blowing, but came off due to the noise. possible you've the same problem; lots of them blow from what i've read

you can't use any sealants pre-cat unfortunately, as they could make their way through the cat and damage it as they're burnt

if that's what's causing your prob, there's not much you can do about it easily - i did look into brazing the pitting and refinishing it (lots of work), or cutting off the mouth of the cat and welding another on (impractical for me, as the metalwork's v thick at that point and didn't want to risk bodging it and writing off the cat)

you couldn't be sure that this pitting's a probability in your case without looking at the cat though

Fabia VRS
So if i took the cat off would i be able to re-use the gasket or is i one of those ones where if you take it appart then thats it?:S

if it's not been on long, you might get away with re-using the mesh ring gasket; if not, they are available individually for about a fiver

if there's any pitting, it'll be at the outer edges of the cat mouth and you might actually be able to see it without removing anything

not saying it's what's causing your prob, although it can't help with sealing if it is pitted