ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spray painting the plastics

PH.2 'berg 172
I have decided to spray both my grilles, fog light surrounds & back bumper strip on my 172 as im fed up of putting bumper gel on them and them looking naff after a day or two, but i'm unsure what colour so thought I'd ask for opinions...

I have a Iceberg silver clio with bright blue painted callipers with silver alloys, I was thinking either a, gun metal grey gloss or a black gloss finish....

Opinions wanted.

Cheers, Josh

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Most of us go for satin black as it makes the plastics look like they're brand new from the factory,
but if you're after a change then gloss black.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Have a look at Kieran's old 172 iceberg thread as he did he's in gloss black and it looked good.

As Dave said, most people seem to go satin black.

PH.2 'berg 172
Most of us go for satin black as it makes the plastics look like they're brand new from the factory,
but if you're after a change then gloss black.

I fancy something slightly different from the factory look without going O.T.T (chavy) I think gloss black would look really smart... just smarten up the dull looking plastics

PH.2 'berg 172
Hatfield Heath so only down the road from you.

The road from Hatfield Heath to Chelmsford via Roxwell is great for a spirited drive :)

may have to check this road out, might even see you driving the other way... You wouldn't know anybody around Chelmsford area that could give me a hand wrapping some bits do you ?

PH.2 'berg 172
What bits you looking at wrapping?

The smaller parts (dash strips, steering insert, etc) are easy.

I've ordered a carbon fibre spoiler from KTR so im thinking of wrapping the fog surrounds to match, (possibly the mirror cars too) then maybe some bits on the interior at a later date.

Im going to spray the grilles gloss black as well as the rear bumper strip. then the outside will look a lot smarter.

PH.2 'berg 172
I did the same when I got my carbon splitter but the carbon vinyl doesn't look good next to the real stuff imo.

Have a look at my pic thread to get a better idea:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?557144-My-Black-Carbon-2118-d-thread/page2

Have a look at Chris Powell on here as he skins original parts in carbon and he's work is very good :)

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?174-Carbon-Central

Did you lacquer the wrapped bits? I think it looks pretty sweet...
that carbon central, do they send you the parts you want wrapped & they send them back? or is that a part wrapped straight from them haha if that makes sense ?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
No. In that pic it looks lacquered but I think it just had some tyre shine spray on it. It does have a matt finish and just looks a little odd next to the gloss real stuff I think. I'm led to believe that if you lacquer the carbon vinyl slit won't show the "weave" part.

The parts off carbon central are all ready to go. It's not vinyl wrapped, it's skinned in 2x2 twill and lacquered.

The good thing about carbon wrapping though is that if you don't like the look you can just peel it off.

PH.2 'berg 172
No. In that pic it looks lacquered but I think it just had some tyre shine spray on it. It does have a matt finish and just looks a little odd next to the gloss real stuff I think. I'm led to believe that if you lacquer the carbon vinyl slit won't show the "weave" part.

The parts off carbon central are all ready to go. It's not vinyl wrapped, it's skinned in 2x2 twill and lacquered.

The good thing about carbon wrapping though is that if you don't like the look you can just peel it off.

Yeah matt carbon next too a glossed finished carbon might look a tad odd. Ive seen carbon fibre sog surrounds on streamline carbon, they have a gloss finish. I think they might be the way to go with my gloss splitter....

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
That's what I've got on the next page on my thread. Beware they are pricey and I think you have to wait as they're not off the shelf although I'm not 100% sure.

There a separate surround so your old ones will be removed and the streamline ones are bonded onto your bumper.

PH.2 'berg 172
That's what I've got on the next page on my thread. Beware they are pricey and I think you have to wait as they're not off the shelf although I'm not 100% sure.

There a separate surround so your old ones will be removed and the streamline ones are bonded onto your bumper.

I'll do my research into the carbon bits, think for the mean time while I save im just going to stick to gloss black spray paint...

I've also heard the cheap plastic skoda front splitter (about £12) fits the clio, might see what that looks like sprayed gloss black to match the rest of the front bits.

PH.2 'berg 172
Loads of threads on here about the fabia splitter.

Get some pics up once your grills are done :)

Top grille & Fogs sprayed, not to bad for a first attempt.

Just waiting for my splitter, eibach springs and offsets and she'll look b.e.a.utiful. IMG_3474_result_result.jpgIMG_3472_result_result.jpgIMG_3473_result_result.jpgIMG_3471_result_result_result.jpg

ph2 172
I've just done that very same job this weekend but use satin black. Got it all back on and then realised i hadnt done the black bit behind the diamond. :(
Think i'll touch it up with a fine brush.
Also fitted my Fabia splitter. I'll have to get a pic up.

PH.2 'berg 172
This is mine. looks loads better in the flesh. It really freshens it up.
20121014_101421_zpse907a00e.gif
looks a lot better than the standard plastic, im happy with how mine turned out, how did you remove your bottom grill? I still need to do mine...