ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spot weld removal

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Anyone into bodywork here? I'm replacing a quarter on a clio and am having to drill a ton of spot welds. I'm using this kit
20220329_211942.jpg

I'm finding the points are dulling very quickly so keep slipping off the punch holes.

Any advice on fastest way to remove other than this method?

Thanks in advance 🙂

m&l172ph1

ClioSport Club Member
  197 Cup
I use forch spot weld drills. Keep them covered in cutting oil and they last a lot longer.

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
Anyone into bodywork here? I'm replacing a quarter on a clio and am having to drill a ton of spot welds. I'm using this kitView attachment 1586212

I'm finding the points are dulling very quickly so keep slipping off the punch holes.

Any advice on fastest way to remove other than this method?

Thanks in advance 🙂
I centre punch the spot weld, then spot a 2mm drill bit into it a little to give the tip of the spot weld drill a locator point. Works really well. I get about 50-60 spot welds out of one of the double sided spot weld bits in the pic there.

Set the drill depth using the spring loaded pin in the nose so you only go through the top skin, there is a tiny allen key fitting in the back which pushes on the spring, sink that further in to reduce the drilling depth.

20190901_151441.jpg

20191207_141027.jpg

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
I centre punch the spot weld, then spot a 2mm drill bit into it a little to give the tip of the spot weld drill a locator point. Works really well. I get about 50-60 spot welds out of one of the double sided spot weld bits in the pic there.

Set the drill depth using the spring loaded pin in the nose so you only go through the top skin, there is a tiny allen key fitting in the back which pushes on the spring, sink that further in to reduce the drilling depth.

View attachment 1586975

View attachment 1586976
Thanks for that! Didn't know you could adjust the drilling depth!

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
Thanks for that! Didn't know you could adjust the drilling depth!
Yeah, its useful to stop you going all the way through, you want the back part intact for plug welding.

I used a wallpaper scraper between the layers to help pop the welds apart, they're thin and strong.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Yeah, its useful to stop you going all the way through, you want the back part intact for plug welding.

I used a wallpaper scraper between the layers to help pop the welds apart, they're thin and strong.
Funnily enough I found a wallpaper Scraper works well 👌