ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sports Photography (digi)

Question for all you professional/keen amatuers out there..

What are the basics to taking good action shots? Ive got myself a fairly decent compact (Nikon P1) and would like learn how to really get the best from it, not just point and shoot. I understand the basics of shutter speed and exposure's...I think! My sport is mountain biking so Im after taking lots og high speed shots, what should I be doing/not doing?

Any tips, links greatly appreciated :)

Steve

106 GTi
A fast card is a must if you want to take lots of continous shots, providing your camera also has a fast enough buffer to do the same.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
There's a great article in this month's Classic & Sports Car magazine about taking decent shots of cars. At the risk of blatant breach of copyright laws, etc, etc - I can scan them in and send Putfile links in, if anyone's interested??

D.

I'm wondering too actually, I occasionally get some good shots but thats only because at an average 8hr Castle Combe day I snap 300 or so shots, a few have to be in focus...!

http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/gallery/814406

I prefer to use the panning technique, follow the car with the camera then shoot when its dead central. When it works its great, but more often than not it doesn't so I go for head on or rear shots instead!

PM the links to the scans would be good to those that want them (i.e. me!), prob not best to post the links here.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Track car/bike with camera and use high shutter speed. adjust apature to suit lighting.. on darker day you wont get much depth of field though.

VaVa
Sometimes a fast shutter speed is not what you want... It's entirely situational. For example my camera is bad for noise with higher ISO, so fast fast shutters in low light is very difficult to get decent results.

This is f4 @ 1/650th, ISO 50. Gotta love sunny days. lol.

Bentley140.gif

This f4 @ 1/500th but the bikes were going 150mph+...

Bentley110.gif

Hmm brief explanation.

Aperture - Smaller number is a 'larger' aperture, this means more light can be let in, thus a faster shutter speed. Larger number is a smaller aperture, slower shutter speed.

Shutter Speeds - For sport photography you really want to be 1/250th upwards, panning along for the best shots (If the subject is fast moving).

ISO - If your camera has variable ISO's then the higher the ISO number the more sensitive the sensor is to light, hence faster shutter speeds.